Post Thanks / Like

Default YOUR WEDDING ....

My son is getting married next month ...in a big fancy hotel

I've only been to the actual ceremony in a church or register office before

I just wondered about your weddings ...

What did you wear?

What year was it ?

Did you have a fancy sit down meal ?

Did you have a disco or band for the reception ?

Where did you get married ...was it church or somewhere else

So ....tell us all about your wedding ...was it a brilliant day or did things not go to plan?

Over to you ....

Angel xxx

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We got married in 2007.

It was a church wedding but in the chapel downstairs not the main church.

We didn't have a sit down meal but did have a reception where we had a disco.

But we were married on a budget and out entire wedding cost under £900 and I wouldn't change it for anything
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes loocyloo, charleyfarley, funemnx liked this post
    Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been married 4wks now. Ours was a registry office with only close family and 2 sets of friends. I wore a dress that I could wear again(although had to return it as found it had a rip in whilst in the car back from the registry office) and was not at all like a wedding dress. We went to a local hotel for lunch and all the kids played outside after they'd eat. We then went to our friends caravan park as they'd gave us use of the function room for a party/disco on the night. We had hog roast at the party which everyone loved. I never saw my 2 kids as they were playing or with their favourite uncle all day. Hubby and I then went to Durham for the night in a hotel we like, we were home for 10.15 the next day though. It was a long day but very relaxing and fun. Hubby's best man had done an excellent speech in the style of a poem which was so funny. I had my family from Canada there and my Uncle gave me away.
    love Sarah.

5. Likes loocyloo, charleyfarley, funemnx liked this post
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We got married in 1991 on a very tight budget.
    I had an Ivory Princess Diana style dress but without the train which I bought in a fire damaged sale.
    I had 4 bridesmaids & 1 flower girl, they were in peach dresses.
    DH, Best Man & both Dad's wore top hats & tails with peach cravats, 4 ushers just in suits.
    The bridesmaid dresses and the top hat & tails were hired.
    I bought my peach & cream, silk flower head dress and bouquet but I made my bridesmaids posies from silk flowers.
    My Dads friend had a new BMW which we used as the wedding car.
    Reception was held in the local Scout Hall.
    My mum, myself and a few family members supplied the buffet food and wine for the table.
    We hired a DJ for the evening reception and a local pub ran a 'pay bar'.
    A friend of the family took some photos for us and my uncle took a video for us ( which my daughter later taped over )
    We had a 3 tier cake which one of my bridesmaids mum made. It was supposed to be a very very pale shade of peach but turned out almost orange ( I remembering picking it up from her house the night before and crying when I got in the car).
    Everything was done on the cheap, lots of things hand made or hired but it was still a great day
    Toothfairy

7. Likes loocyloo, charleyfarley, funemnx liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post

What did you wear?
    Had a beautiful Ivory dress with crystals on the top. It was not a big fluffy dress, but big enough
    What year was it ?
    I got married 2008, this year marked 5 years
    We had buffet which I bitterly regret!! We also had a buffet for the evening which was loads better than the main one
    DH is a massive rock fan, he hates cheesy music so we hired a band, everyone moaned about it at first said "it wasn't very wedding-y" but afterwards they couldn't stop talking about the band, they were brilliant!
    We got married in a church
    So ....tell us all about your wedding ...was it a brilliant day or did things not go to plan?
    I found out I was pregnant a week before my hen night, I was 8 weeks pregnant when we got married. During the ceremony I was in so much pain, cramping so badly I was convinced I was losing the baby. I don't remember much about the actual getting married as all I wanted to do was go to the loo and check LOL... The food at the reception was rubbish! Just plain awful and not enough. The evening was so much better with the live band. There are loads of things I could change about my wedding. We have agreed that we will re-new our vows on our 20th anniversary abroad on a beach, just us... which is what I wanted in the first place
    Over to you ....

Angel xxx
    Having said all that, I am just pleased I am married to my best friend... The wedding is just one day, the marriage is forever and that is what truly matters.

9. Likes loocyloo, charleyfarley, funemnx liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

we got married in 1998 in Las Vegas. We didnt' tell anyone. So no seating plans and arguments over who to invite.

Flights, hotel and wedding cost about £1,500. The wedding package included, flowers, limo and an Elvis impersonator to walk me down the aisle - lol.

we had a posh meal just us two afterwards and the pianist decided "our song" was the carpenters "it's only just begun" which made us really laugh (or was that the 2 bottles of champagne we consumed.

I had a really simple dress backless and straight - no fluff and it cost me £120.

we rang everyone after the ceremony to tell them.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you wear?

I wore an ivory long dress with long sleeves that my mum and I made. I wore the veil my Grandmother and my mother wore, full length and edged with Brussels Lace. (there were 7 family members at my wedding who had worn it). I had silver court shoes which i still wear on occasions today.

The Groom, Best Man, Fathers and all the Ushers wore Black Morning Suits.

The Bride's Maids (3) work egg yellow full length dresses and carried baskets of silk flowers. I had a bouquet of fresh roses, carnations, stephanotis and it smelt wonderful. The Groom and best man had yellow ties and yellow rose button holes all the others had grey ties and white carnation button holes.

What year was it ?

We had a buffet. I made our Wedding Cake. It was 3 T and Diamond Shaped with hand made flowers in sprays and I had two bells on the top with an orange and lemon clapper in them. My Dad made us a lovely carved wood cake stand for it. So sad neither of our Dad not my Mum will be with us to celebrate out 25th next year.

No. Wedding was a 12 and the reception ended at 5.30 when we left to go to Gatwick to catch the plane to Crete for our Honeymoon. (it left at 11pm)

We were married in St Clement Danes, Strand, London. It is the Central Church of the RAF(it is not a parish church) and we were allowed to be married there because my Dad had been in the Air Force. It is a beautiful church, worth a visit if you are in London. We had our Reception at the RAF Club in Piccadilly.

It was a sunny, warm if a little breezy day. I made my mum laugh because we went to the hairdressers, a five min walk from my flat, she made me take the car because she didn't want we walking home with my head dress on!!

I lived 15 miles from the church so we had 2 back London Taxis to take us too the church and wait and take us to the Reception, we went up the Mall when we left the church, but they didn't put flags up for me! The taxis had flowers in the back and ribbons on.

It was a lovely day and I am so glad we did not have an evening do. I got to wear a 'Going Away' outfit though. All our friends did different things, some went for a meal, some went to the theatre so they all have lovely memories of after the wedding.

The best bit was the next morning we were already in Crete so no waking up, packing and then doing the travelling, we were already there!

I can't believe we celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary next year. Where did all those years go?

Over to you ....
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 25-07-2013 at 11:23 AM.

12. Likes loocyloo, charleyfarley liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=angeldelight;1280888]My son is getting married next month ...in a big fancy hotel

What did you wear?

I had a red silk wedding dress which was a bodice and skirt (I have worn both again separately when we have been out on posh black tie dos)

What year was it ?

Had a sit down meal which was very nice - salmon and then chocolate tart!

No disco or band as we only had 23 people there including us as my parents are only children and DHs dad had died a couple of years before so quite low key

In the church where my mum and dad as well as my sister were married near my grandad's house

It was fab if jolly cold and no I wouldn't change a thing the most important thing was about getting married - we planned it in five months flat as I don't like the faffing about bit

I should add the first time I got married not to current DH we did it overlooking the beach in St Lucia, fab place but no friends or family there and just felt flat afterwards, perhaps I should have known then it wasn't destined to last!!!

Sam x

14. Likes loocyloo, charleyfarley liked this post
    Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We got married in 2003 and had our 10 year anniversary in April. We got married in the registry office, I won my wedding dress in a competition in the local paper and my grandad bought me my wedding cake. We had a small meal then reception in the local pub as couldn't afford anything else - my eldest was 10 months old at the time so money was tight. My parents paid for most of the other things so didn't like to ask for anything grand!!

My sister who is a year younger than me is getting married for the 2nd time next month and had no qualms in picking the most expensive or everything (both times) and my parents are picking up the bill. A little annoying as I wish they had told us we could have had something a little nicer than the local pub but we were never given the option!

Still at least we are still together and happy with 2 lovely girls!

Xxx

16. Likes loocyloo, charleyfarley, rickysmiths liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I got married in August 1982 in church, white dress, 1 bridesmaid, over 100 to a sit down meal discoand a buffet in the evening fab day and weather and all booked within 6 weeks,( no I wasn't pregnant) we were given a flat by our employer and living together wasn, t an option parents would have gone ballistic and the thought. 31 lovely years later and still happily married
    Cath

18. Likes loocyloo, charleyfarley, rickysmiths liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What did you wear? I had a beautiful white satin dress which was fitted at the bust and then sort of an A line out to the ground with shoe string straps and a very slight train. and a few pearls on the straps and around the top. tiara, veil and blue shoes! I bought the dress whilst living in Sydney and whilst trying it on the lady in the shop said ''next time, try and bring the shoes you are wearing'' I said I am and she laughed because they were blue! they asked me to send them a photo of me on the day in my blue shoes!

What year was it ? 1998 - just had our 15th anniversary - where has the time gone?!

Did you have a fancy sit down meal ? we had the reception at a local country hotel, with a marquee in their garden. we had a sit down meal - very yummy and then a buffet in the evening.

Did you have a disco or band for the reception ?we had a 'wandering' jazz band when we arrived at the reception and then they played in the evening

Where did you get married ...was it church or somewhere else we got married in the church I grew up attending, with the choir that Dh had sung with all his life ( in a different church ) singing for us. my retired rector came out of retirement to marry us

So ....tell us all about your wedding ...was it a brilliant day or did things not go to plan? it was a lovely day - the week before had been freezing cold with torrential rain ( in june! nothing new! ) but the sky was blue and it was very warm with a breeze. I cried all day! ( I do cry easily! ) when we were meeting the rector to discuss the wedding I wanted to say 'obey' as I quite liked the sound of Dh having to 'worship' me ... my rector wouldn't let me as he said he knew there was no way I would obey anyone!! the mother of one of my little bridesmaids went into labour in the early hours of the day and came to the wedding with her new baby only 12 hrs old !!!! I saw them coming up the path when I arrived at the church and everything stopped so I could say hello and give everyone hugs.

Over to you ....

Angel xxx
    we got engaged whilst living in Sydney Australia but decided to get married at home as it was the first wedding on both sides out of ALL the children/cousins etc generation! we'd have been lynched if we hadn't! however, we both knew the hotel well, and knew it would be a good place for the reception so a friend rang, pretending to be me ( !!! ) and then provisionally booked it in my name whilst we plucked up the courage to tell our parents that we didn't need them to 'choose' a venue ( we knew they wouldn't have chosen it! ) my mum wasn't impressed that i'd bought my dress overseas, but again, I wanted what I wanted and we have 'slightly' different ideas! my dressmaker friend who did my final fittings in the uk and altered my mums dress was on my side and engineered fittings so that 'by chance' mum never saw me in my dress till the day. ( she wouldn't have thought she was upsetting me, but she would have made some comment about the dress being too simple or something ) we were very laid back about lots of things and having seen the rest of our generation stress about their weddings being 'perfect' and spending a lot more money, and then still not being happy with the way things went. I loved our day and I still wouldn't change a thing.

hope your son ( and you! and your family ) have a wonderful day xxx

20. Likes charleyfarley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got married 1998, my dress was out of the local news paper.. Bridesmaid dresses from bhs.. But where gorgeous..

We got married in the local registry office and I arrived before the groom, so had to wait lol.

We had a buffet in the afternoon followed by disco, I couldn't eat, but was told the food was disgusting, no one danced apart from me and my 3 year old daughter.. She then later on vomited all over my dress lol.

My grandad danced on the table and fell off as he was so drunk, my brother got stuck in traffic so didn't even make it.

Couldn't sleep and was eating cornflakes at 3am

It was the best day ever and 15 years later and 5 children in total, we are as happy as we where then.

22. Likes The Juggler, loocyloo, charleyfarley liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

We got married in 2001 in the Registry Office - the reception was at our favourite Chinese Restaurant which we had to ourselves all afternoon. My dress was £50 from Next - a pale pink long shift and bought a silk wrap in pale pink and little organza bag with tiny pearls. I had a little Tiara made with fake pearls and cream shoes that I still have. My bouquet was cream Roses and so were the button holes. My sons were my best men, all 4 dressed in black suits with white shirts and blue and silver ties (sigh.. so proud of them).No gifts wanted (we had 2 houses to condense into 1! ) Both our families were there and a few close friends (about 50 altogether). All in I guess the wedding cost £600 the reception was paid by our parents and cost another £600. Straight off to Windsor for a couple nights at the Castle Hotel and then to Villamora for a week.

It was exactly what we wanted and nothing went wrong except my brother went to the wrong wedding and sat in on someone elses for 5 mins before he realised the bride wasn't me!

My only regret is that I didn't have a photographer - no decent photos at all...

24. Likes charleyfarley liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Stapleton83;1280997]

What did you wear?

I had a red silk wedding dress which was a bodice and skirt (I have worn both again separately when we have been out on posh black tie dos)What year was it ?

Had a sit down meal which was very nice - salmon and then chocolate tart!

No disco or band as we only had 23 people there including us as my parents are only children and DHs dad had died a couple of years before so quite low key

In the church where my mum and dad as well as my sister were married near my grandad's house

It was fab if jolly cold and no I wouldn't change a thing the most important thing was about getting married - we planned it in five months flat as I don't like the faffing about bit

I should add the first time I got married not to current DH we did it overlooking the beach in St Lucia, fab place but no friends or family there and just felt flat afterwards, perhaps I should have known then it wasn't destined to last!!!

Sam x
    ooh that sounds amazing!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

I got married in August 2002 aged 20. We don't like big weeding or any fuss (we live going to other people's and sharing their day but lots if people just isn't us). So with that in mind we went to the Dominican republic for 3 weeks. The first week to try and get used to the temperatures, married the second week and honeymoon the third. If it were up to us we would have we t on our own just the two of us but ended up with both sets of parents there which was ok. I got up on my wedding day, had brunch on the beach then went to get my hair done. Once my hair was done I went back to my room to do my makeup and put my dress on (mum helped). Once ready I got a horse and cart to the pavilion where my husband, in laws and dad were waiting. My dress was a two piece (bodice and skirt) and my husband wore his traditional kilt! We were married at 4pm, got photos taken all over the resort and beach. Went back to our room to change my dress (into something lighter) and hubby's shirt then went to a lovely sit down meal in one of the posh restaurants. It cost £4500

On returning to the uk we had a reception 3 weeks later (for both sets of parents benefit which I refused to pay for) so no idea what it cost. There was a proper sit down meal with a band, no later buffet but plenty of wedding cake. It was lovely to see everyone but I was plastered and in my bed by 11pm lol.

We are still together 10 years this year.

27. Likes charleyfarley liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    We got married in 2007.

It was a church wedding but in the chapel downstairs not the main church.

We didn't have a sit down meal but did have a reception where we had a disco.

But we were married on a budget and out entire wedding cost under £900 and I wouldn't change it for anything
    Wow please tell me how you managed this trying to plan mine next year on a really tight budget

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    we got married in 1998 in Las Vegas. We didnt' tell anyone. So no seating plans and arguments over who to invite.

Flights, hotel and wedding cost about £1,500. The wedding package included, flowers, limo and an Elvis impersonator to walk me down the aisle - lol.

we had a posh meal just us two afterwards and the pianist decided "our song" was the carpenters "it's only just begun" which made us really laugh (or was that the 2 bottles of champagne we consumed.

I had a really simple dress backless and straight - no fluff and it cost me £120.

we rang everyone after the ceremony to tell them.
    This is kind of what I want to do but my oh mentioned the idea to family members as he wasn't so keen and now everyone is making me feel guilty about even thinking about it

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by munch149 View Post
    Wow please tell me how you managed this trying to plan mine next year on a really tight budget
    Easy ebay became my best friend.

I also had friends who weighed in my friends mum did my flowers and got me my cake.

We didn't have a photographer ( I really don't like having my photo taken) and we used nice family/friends cars.

Our reception was held at a catholic club for a buffet for 70 people and the room and disco was £450.

My dress and the boys suits came from ebay and the mens from Matalan in a sale :-)

The bridemaids dresses were the girls first holy communion dresses which was 2 days later.

Amazing what you can find if you look for it. There are lots of wedding selling pages on fb if you look
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

31. Likes The Juggler, loocyloo liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post

Easy ebay became my best friend.

I also had friends who weighed in my friends mum did my flowers and got me my cake.

We didn't have a photographer ( I really don't like having my photo taken) and we used nice family/friends cars.

Our reception was held at a catholic club for a buffet for 70 people and the room and disco was £450.

My dress and the boys suits came from ebay and the mens from Matalan in a sale :-)

The bridemaids dresses were the girls first holy communion dresses which was 2 days later.

Amazing what you can find if you look for it. There are lots of wedding selling pages on fb if you look
    Thanks I expect my mum will buy my dress as bought my sisters and she will also probably make my cake but everything seems to add up. I just want to go abroad with oh and do it just the two of us but he doesn't want to upset people. I think it should be about us noone else.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by munch149 View Post
    Thanks I expect my mum will buy my dress as bought my sisters and she will also probably make my cake but everything seems to add up. I just want to go abroad with oh and do it just the two of us but he doesn't want to upset people. I think it should be about us noone else.
    We didn't want a big fuss and if we could have it would have been me dh and the children. Hovever dhs mum had terminal cancer so we went for a smaller wedding instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast