Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is a chiropractor worth the money?

Hi All,
    I had never been to a chiropractor unil last week, I get pain in my ribs and shoulders and other places since pregnancy (5 years ago), anytime I get run down or over strained. I had a virus and it has left me with pain last week and I went to a chiropractor.
    Anyway, I feel it has helped although I feel a bit squished and weird, but it is very expensive and I have very limited funds right now. I have to go twice a week to start with apparently!!!
    So I don't want to give up especially after the initial outlay, really I'm looking for other people's experiences of using chiropractors, is it worth it? Can it really help?
    Thanks x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nige goes to one - it's about £40 a session so he only goes when he really needs it which is probably the wrong thing to do - I imagine it's better to go regularly and keep on top of the treatment.

He says if you can fit it into your budget then it's been worthwhile for him - but we all react differently. I responded well to acupuncture but it didn't touch him...

Hope it improves soon xx

Post Thanks / Like

I do not use personally

But I have a few friends who do and say they benefit from going

Good luck hope it helps you

Angel xx

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a bad back for years, went to a chiropractor 2 or 3 times a week. He used to say to me Pilates is the answer, eventually I did do Pilates and he was right, that was 6 years ago and I've never seen him since!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a bad back and spent over 6 months with a phsio. Went to a chiro and she did more in 2 sessions than the physio did in 6 months. Not saying that the physio was wrong but if a chiro takes away the pain then to me they are worth their weight in gold.

Once you are sorted it will get less and less time between treatments. I now go every 6 weeks to maintain but I do know it if I go any longer and land up having more.

Hope you feel better soon
    Debbie

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I see an Osteopath (Chiropractor is small lever movements, Osteopath is large lever i.e. uses arms and legs to relign) I suffer lower back pain. I go once a week for 2-4 weeks if bad then go every couple of months for a session or two to keep on top of it. Always feel it is worth it.

I found him very good, however I have found my back hasn't "gone" since I lost a bit of weight and keep fitter. My problems were due to poor core strength and a tilted pelvis. It might be worth seeing a GP to see if there is anything you can do to help yourself. I was refered for physio and that has helped me care for my back myself (a lot of the exercises were pilates style!). I hardly go now, only when I begin to feel a certain pain which I know means it is about to go.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i went for 2 visits once. Had no choice couldn't turn my head which made crossing the road safely a bit difficult. I was in agony. Felt soo much better after 1st visit. Went back a week later at her advice and she said if I could afford it come once a month but would be fine.

I'd go at the first sign of a niggle now to preven problems £40 well spent.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a really bad back and a friend suggested Pilates n the build up in core strength was amazing but got pregnant and stopped goin and now dd is 17months n I can feel my back starting to niggle , hope I can find time for Pilates !

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My doctor have me an injection in my back when i was 17 hitting a nerve causing me to badly hurt my back. Before I even arrive home the doctor had been in contact with physio and chiropractor and I had appointments booked I was under them for three months and no change. Those three months I spent unable to walk far and most of the time just lying in bed.

Finally I caved and went to a private osteopath best thing I ever did walked in crippled came out skipping (well not quite). But I was able to go back to college and live life again. I saw osteopath every few months that year then every 6 months. Now once a year as I just like the feel of it. Well worth it.

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely worth the money if it works - different things work for different people.

I spent about 18 months going to an osteopath, went a couple of times a week initially and the reduced to every 2-3 weeks. Cost me a fortune!! I really knew by the 2 1/2 week mark I needed to go back but was a good maintenance tool.
    After a while I thought I'd try something different, saw a chiropractor twice and up until recently have had just a few niggles occasionally.

Another one to recommend Pilates, that really helped to strengthen my core muscles but have let it slip due to one thing and another. I will be starting again as soon as I can post baby :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I used a chiropractor a few times and found it to be great. Since getting into exercise I haven't needed to go in years. Core strength helps massively.

Post Thanks / Like

I see a Chiro about once a fortnight and it helps massively with this job.. Recently she has been on maternity so I have only been about three times in a year and at the weekend I literally couldn't walk. You do need to go regularly so it is a time and money commitment, basically the treatment holds that little bit longer each time you go so for the first few sessions they are trying to get it to hold until your next treatment but obviously this is only a day or two when you are bad and lasts longer then as you improve and your back responds

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and ps it's great for your immune systems

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I go to a private physio as i have scoliosis (curvature of the spine). She kept telling me to go back to Yoga, which i did and hardly needed any physio.

If funds are a bit low I would try yoga or pilates and see if that helps

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your replies, that's really made me feel better about getting mended. I will stick with it and need to take up some yoga or Pilates too.