Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Early Years Goals (current targets)

I have put this in the lounge as this is about my own DD who is in Reception year.

At Xmas we were given targets that our individual children were working towards in reading, writing and maths.

My DD's maths target was 'To say which number is one more or one less than a given numeral from 1-20'. She has been given the same target this term, and I am confused as to why, because when ever we play / I test her, she 99% time gives the correct answer. In fact she can often tell me the answer of 2 more or 2 less if I ask. Am I missing something?

I know I can (and will) ask her teacher next week, but was wondering if any of you could shed light on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like teacher has missed that she can do it . We had same last term my dd came home with a pile of words that she said only herself and one other child in the class couldn't do but she could and in fact her reading was above average.! Sometimes I wonder if they get nervous or shy at school and don't 'perform' as well ! Would just go Into teacher and say that she knows them well, you have now double checked and could she please have the next challenge! Don't do it an accusing way as will get teachers back up and in my experience that never ends well.sometimes it's better to just take a deep breath and smile through the frustration.. I guess they have a lot of kids and may sometimes muddle up their abilities or rush through and hand them same thing twice by mistake

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

It might be she couldn't do it for a certain task the teacher set, is she expecting dd to be able to record the info so she has to write 2 teddies and 1 more makes....
    Could be the teacher has got her muddled with another child when writing out the targets it's so easy when you have lots to do
    Could be dd was tired the teacher was watching her and didn't do it.
    Have a nice friendly chat with the teacher.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It depends on the skills of the teacher - weaker teachers might give the whole class pretty much the same target then go round one by one to see if they can do it - if your daughter didn't fancy being a performing monkey on the day she was tested she might not have shown off her skill.

I'd chat to the teacher and see where you go from there