Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Is it just me or am I mean at Easter?

Ok what do you all do for Easter. I buy my children an egg each and that's it.

My fb feed suggests Im the worst parent in the world. It looks like Christmas in one.

I just don't see the point of spending a fortune on eggs which I will end up eating when they get bored of them.

Or is it the fact that my Catholic background and Easter is about Jesus dying on the cross and rising again. (And regardless of your beliefs that is the meaning of Easter)

My children haven't even asked about eggs yet
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My children have an egg each from me and dad, grandparents and uncle however, my fb line is the same folks have been doing easter hunts and trees and its only 10.10am, maybe we are mean but as COE instead of finding eggs why dont they take them to church for the true meaning and will save a fortune :-(
    (sorry if i have offended anyone but id rather not be cleaning up pools of chocolate sick today)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We've never really bothered about Easter. We're not religious, so to us it has no significance. Christmas is different because for us that means presents and family gatherings. Easter doesn't mean anything like that.

We're all going out for lunch today, then we'll do an egg hunt round the garden which is a family tradition now, even though the children are older (most are adults!). I've never bought anything for them apart from that though.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Being of Jewish heritage and a practicing atheist I am not an Easter person either. We do Christmas but that is more of a family thing.

I have eggs to my minders and did crafts and an Easter egg hunt but my kids don't get eggs ( they are 21 and 25) bit tbh I haven't done much in prev years

So bah humbug too

Wibble the grouch x
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Post Thanks / Like

My FB feed is the same, posts of perfume, handbags, money, clothes, computer games, concert tickets and the list just goes on - ALL BECAUSE ITS EASTER!!!! I am being daft? At the moment I feel incredibly mean. My girls have an Easter egg from us and one from one set of grandparents and that's it! They are over the moon with that though but I just don't understand why people have to just keep throwing money away for no reason? Maybe I feel like this because I am very conscious over money - I don't know but I just fund elaborate gifts like I've mentioned above are just uncalled for. Don't mean to sound like a meanie. xxx

6. Likes Mice and Toad liked this post
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think you are mean at all, I buy Easter Eggs for my grown up children but thats it. Used to buy for mindees but that just got silly so stopped it a few years ago.

I am not religious at all so don't celebrate that way but certainly wouldn't see Easter as a time for expensive presents, why would anyone.

8. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think its an american influence, like halloween, where its getting a bit over the top and we are buying into the materialistic side if things even more ?

Mine have 1 egg from me, 1 from a relative and are happy with that, but each to their own I guess.

Happy Easter everyone

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well mine have just had their eggs the littlest 2 have 3 eggs each 1 from us 1 from their godmother and 1 from a mindess mum. Eldest 2 have 2 mindees mum didnt get them one (who knows why).

They are more than happy with that and tbh its too much chocolate which I will be rationing.

Bah easter humbug.

But chriss I do agree its gone materialistic a mum on my fb was moaning that the supermarkets were out of stock so she had to buy a onsie, slippers and dressing gown instead - I did say what about a terrys chocolate orange (((raising eyes)))
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i egg each in this household. they might get one from a friend or neighbour of ours also and grandparents send some money so they can buy an egg or a treat but that's it.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We just buy our DD's and GD's an egg each, they also get eggs from other family members too.
    For us, Easter Day is more about getting together as a family, spending the day together, having a nice meal and catching up.
    The only person to get a pressie is my DH, I bought him a wooden folding ruler he wanted as he is Diabetic, so no chocolate for him.
    Toothfairy

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

a wooden folding ruler...that must be the most original easter prezzie yet !!

I love practical prezzies though

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Fussy - and no, I don't think you're mean.

We just did an egg hunt for the 3 youngest grandchildren (just a few mini-eggs and a Malteaster bunny) and they loved it . OTOH, the eldest 2 are in high dudgeon at their other grandparents, currently sulking cos they've been told they can't have new skirts and console games for Easter.

To my way of thinking, you should do a modest "traditional" chocolatey Easter; or a Christian celebration of salvation; or both. But the big-spend approach is just ridiculous. It's already swamped Christmas, so God (whoever She is) save us from the same happening to Easter.

I'm no great fan of America (having grown up when Uncle Sam was using the UK as his biggest aircraft-carrier) but I tend to think they get the blame for too much of this. The UK is quite capable of turning any traditional celebration into a cash cow without help from overseas. After all, "we" invented the chocolate egg in the first place. And they didn't so much invent Halloween as re-export it back to us with the turnips swapped for pumpkins.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my lads an egg each, then I figured since they were only £1 each, I would get them another. They are still in my room right now. It was my eldest 2 that got the eggs, and they aren't fussed either way. My youngest son is being a whinger for the past few days and I am not keen on feeding into it to be honest.
    My tweet feed and fb news feed is making me feel queezy just looking at it. Am thinking of popping the easter bunny bubble today, I don't even know how my youngest heard of or came to believe in the easter bunny. We didn't do it with my eldest (there is 10 years between the twins and the youngest). I'm just over the whole fairy tale life we force on our kids, turning them into me-me monsters. Or maybe I just have pmt early?

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    a wooden folding ruler...that must be the most original easter prezzie yet !!

I love practical prezzies though
    Lol, he's a Chartered Surveyor, he likes things like that.
    Toothfairy

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm mean too. I haven't even bought one egg for my 3!! They have some that have been given by family and mindees but none from me. They don't even really like chocolate so I don't see the point of buying them just for them to get melted down in a couple of weeks to make cornflake cakes

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

We're also mean here if that's the case, dd got 1 egg from us and we only bought that yesterday!
    We don't really celebrate Easter, and don't understand why some people seem to think its another excuse to receive gifts etc much like Christmas has got.

I have been genuinely shocked today at the amount if stories coming up in fb of visits from the Easter bunny etc etc and was thinking it was just us that don't do much, nice to know we're not alone!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I have to got to say I am the complete opposite to everyone on here.

I love any chance to see my little girl believe in something make believe. We were told we couldn't have children so to have our little girl in our life means so much to me, that I see nothing wrong in making her world magical. One day very soon i will no longer be able to pretend, and i fear it will be sooner than i want, since most children grow up so fast these days. I make all sorts of different fairy celebrations throughout the year just as a excuse to buy her something new, and to see her face when she thinks it is from a fairy is just priceless.

I don't however just buy her toys because we are in a shop, I like my daughter to think there is a reason for getting things.

This morning we had the most amazing Easter hunt in our house, and at the end was a lego set, moon dough and caterpillars to go with her eggs. It is now 4 hours later and as a family we have spent all morning together playing with her new things with no tv or distractions and it has been bliss. I see nothing wrong with all this chocolate as my daughter loves nothing more than sharing and has already made piles to give to nanny, grandad, aunts and uncle.

Each to there own and as long as everybody is happy then that is all that matters

Happy Easter everybody

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    I'm mean too. I haven't even bought one egg for my 3!! They have some that have been given by family and mindees but none from me. They don't even really like chocolate so I don't see the point of buying them just for them to get melted down in a couple of weeks to make cornflake cakes
    Same here, we haven't bothered getting ours any as they've already got enough off other people. They aren't massive chocolate fans anyway and last years eggs lasted until nearly Christmas!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We all have a couple of eggs each plus my 2 have a few more from grandmother, a mindee & an uncle.

We went to church this morning in our easter bonnets & then the children had an egg hunt around the church yard.

Just cooking roast & after we will have an egg hunt in the garden, but only some little eggs to be found.

personally I don't like giving presents & turning it into christmas.

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel better for reading this. I have always bought mindees eggs. But it got to the stage that they were starting to tell me what ones I could get or moaning that they didnt like the one I gave them (no parental back up for me) or parents saying 'oh no not more eggs, theyve got loads, I'll have to eat them myself'. So this year i decided against it. Then felt guilty so went to Asda, but there were none left.
    Julie X X

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast