Ikea expedit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ikea expedit

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ikea expedit

Lots of people have suggested using expedit for storage. Firstly has anyone used it as a room divider and how safe is it and secondly you can buy boxes to fit it, are the cloth type strong enough for toys. I like the basket type but they are quite expensive
    Mandy xx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the 4-4. 2-2. 1-5 and another 2-2 lol

I have never used as a room divider as have visions of a child pushing in a box for it to f2f of th err tough and bang their faces.

I have boxes with zips from ikea to keep everything hidden that were less than £3 a box

I do love the storage though x

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

That was pushing it in too far and banging their faces!!

Honestly lol

Post Thanks / Like

Think I may get one
    Mandy xx

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always look on ebay for the type of boxes you like. I have the black cloth ones and they're quite strong. I keep arts and crafts stuff in them I have two 4x4 ones, one on top of the other. Kids also have them in their bedrooms. I'm an ikea fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Got one at it looks great!
    Mandy xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got several and one that I use as a room divider in my spare room. The fabric boxes are pretty sturdy or you can get baskets. I keep toys, books, folders etc in the fabric tubs and they look pretty good. I find them very useful, I have one on its side and one up tall, they are very versatile. Hth

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the 4x4 in the playroom - very sturdy & look great x

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at Ikea on Saturday and brought some fabric boxes for it they were £2.50 each and came in different colours
    Sarah

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    West Sussex
    Post Thanks / Like

i've got several of the expedit units, but not used as a room divider. i use the Drona boxes in mine (the £2.50 fabric boxes) and was also worried if they'd be strong enough. I have one over half full with brio train set and it is strong enough to hold it, but i do make sure i carry it with a hand underneath just in case.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got the largest expedit ikea unit and ours is fixed to the wall - although it could be used as a room divider I would be a bit more worried - climbing/trying to push boxes all the way through etc

As for the boxes to go in it I originally wanted the clear see through ones - I ended up getting a mix of see through and the fabric cheaper ones

On reflection although I like the fact that I can 'see' whats in the clear ones they are more of a pain to get in and out - much prefer the fabric ones

Only downside is I havent figured out how to attach labels/pics to the fabric ones - ideas anyone please?

BuggsieMoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tashaleee View Post
    Ive got the largest expedit ikea unit and ours is fixed to the wall - although it could be used as a room divider I would be a bit more worried - climbing/trying to push boxes all the way through etc

As for the boxes to go in it I originally wanted the clear see through ones - I ended up getting a mix of see through and the fabric cheaper ones

On reflection although I like the fact that I can 'see' whats in the clear ones they are more of a pain to get in and out - much prefer the fabric ones

Only downside is I havent figured out how to attach labels/pics to the fabric ones - ideas anyone please?
    Lamiate the photo and use sticky backed velcro x

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some of the fabric boxes and am also wondering how I can get my labels to fix and not keep falling off
    Mandy xx

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I attached labels to the boxes with paper lips. Although you can get the sticky back type things, made by prit stick I think, that would work I imagine. I use those things to attach foam display boards to my wall. Must check what they're called and who makes them.

BuggsieMoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    That was pushing it in too far and banging their faces!!

Honestly lol
    LOL

Ive got 3 or similar style (from Very not IKEA) that are 3 x 3 for storage and the fabric boxes are great. Ive also got 2 of the 2 x 2 from IKEA as storage for the kids shoes etc and again the fabric boxes are strong.

Im the same as RubyBubbles though - would worry about a child getting hurt or trying to climb up them if being used as a room divider. x

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using mine as a room divider but only using the lower 2 shelves for boxes. I don't think using it as a room divider opposed to against a wall will make a child any more inclined to climb up it
    I have some normal shelving units where the shelves just sit on a peg making them less safe if anyone attempted to climb up them
    Although you try and make your house as safe as possible children have to learn about dangers in life
    I do have a rule in my house " no climbing on the furniture "
    Mandy xx