Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Photo's on fb from school trip?

Hi, after a bit of advice...

My dd and her class went on a school trip today, just logged on to Facebook to see that a parent who went on the trip has posted 5 photos of a couple of the children (I am assuming they are friends of her son as pictured with her son) and one of a group of the children walking (all backs of heads, no face shots).

It's made me feel really uncomfortable, I wouldn't be happy with her posting pics of my dd on a school trip and don't really think it's appropriate to be taking the pics in the first place, although I realise it is a very innocent act, it has made me feel uneasy, surely she's not allowed to do this?

Should I mention it to the school or just leave it and not get involved?!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can go into school and ask them to remove the photos as she probably doesnt have permission to post them on fb. it is quite disappointing that a parent who has been asked to help with a school trip has abused her position.

When I went it never occured to me to take my phone never mind tak photographs

Our school is quite adament that any photos of our children can be posted from school events but must not include any other children and will/have called parents into school to remove the photos
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be happy either to see a photo of my child on someones fb page, a lot of schools won't even allow you to take phots or videos
    of school plays so this should be the same, may be worth mentioning to school under your professional title as opposed to parent title
    if you see what i mean.
    Cath

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it's not just me that thinks that then!

Will be speaking to the school in the morning, the trouble is this particular mum is a law unto herself and would think nothing if doing the same thing again another time even after a ticking off! :-(

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If she is only posting pictures that have friends of her son in them, then the parents of these children probably know and are happy for the pics to be there so they can see them too. It would be such a shame if parent helpers were banned from photographing their own children and their friends when they have gone to the effort of supporting the school by being a chaperone on a school visit.
    It sounds like the parent was careful not to include pictures of the children outside of her childs peer group. I am not convinced a complaint to the school because a parent photographed some children, not your own, is necessary. Seems like an over reaction to something that is nothing. But that is my opinion, if you feel strongly about the parent photographing someone elses child then you should talk to the school and see what they say.

6. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the fault lies with the school

they should make it clear to all helpers on trips that absolutely no photos should be taken

I wouldnt be happy if people posted pics of my son on fb

When I moved I was hiding from my ex and this would have really upset me

you just dont know people circumstances

This mum probably doesnt realise she is doing anything wrong , the school are to blame

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume school will have a mobile phone policy, just the same as we do.

If the photos were taken at an open event (such as at sports day) then there is little school can do to stop them being put on facebook. But if the mum has gone along as a helper on the trip then the same rules should apply to her as they do to teachers. I'm sure teachers wouldn't be allowed to take photos & post them on facebook.

What would bother me more than my child's photo appearing on facebook would be the fact that school may not be following their own policies.

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think that is what's bothering me more, thanks, sometimes it's hard to work out what the actual issue is isnt it?!

It's not these particular photos, after all they are friends of her son but as others have said, as a helper on a school trip the school should be enforcing the same policy as they would with a teacher/ ta.
    In fact in the 4 years my dd has been at the school I have never seen this mentioned via newsletter etc, so maybe they are a little lax/ don't see it as a potential problem....

apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi , my daughters school makes it really clear in their Policy's before any school trip or plays ect that has all children in that these must not be put on social networking sites and if you like a photo of your own child make sure it is your own child I must say this works very well , I think the rule is the school making it very clear to all parents and so they should I wouldn't like my children posted on to some body else's social network when I make sure my very own is private for my family and children

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd let u know that I spoke to the school this morning and they said they will look In to it and prob send out something to all parents.
    She did say they once had a parent post a picture up of their son receiving an award in assembly - with half the school in it!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be a bit behind the times but I don't have a facebook account - I can't see the point of people posting a running commentary of their life with photos - maybe they are contributing to their own LJ.

"just eating packet of chocolate biscuits, just opening a bottle of wine, just got back from the gym, big hangover" - who cares!

I have in my photo policy that any photos I share of the children playing with their friends must not be e-mailed to any other family members or be posted on social networking sites. If I ever find out they have - they won't get anymore photos.

Pre Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

you can make the photos visible to select people on Facebook and not everyone. I agree that it shouldn't be allowed as we had the same problem before. I think some people are so wrapped up in their own worlds they lose sight of the fact that their actions could effect others.