would you talk to the parent? not very happy!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Non childminder member
    nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Default would you talk to the parent? not very happy!

I am a nanny, so look after a little girl in her own home..

Quite regularly I come to work & there is no toilet roll in the house.
    Not only am I having to 'drip dry' but so is the 8year old.

This is probably the 4th time its happened since I started in september!!

I feel I'm not working in a nice environment when this happens.

What would you do or say?

Thanks, Heidi

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

do you do shopping at all for the house? If so then bulk buy, they might get the idea!

OR - I would buy a pack and give them the reciept with a large smile on your face!!!!!!!
    Marnie x

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heidilunn View Post
    I am a nanny, so look after a little girl in her own home..

Quite regularly I come to work & there is no toilet roll in the house.
    Not only am I having to 'drip dry' but so is the 8year old.

This is probably the 4th time its happened since I started in september!!

I feel I'm not working in a nice environment when this happens.

What would you do or say?

Thanks, Heidi
    What do they say when you mention it?
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would buy it and claim it back on expenses or just say 'sorry I couldn't find the new toilet rolls, where do you keep them?' It could be possible that they are somewhere your not looking perhaps or genuinely they use a different bathroom and neglect to put new ones in the bathroom you use. I have been a nanny prior to childminding and this has happened to me before along with no milk for children's cereal etc.
    Def bring it up as its so easily resolved and not hygienic for you or their child to not have any, failing that put a toilet roll in your bag each Monday morning;-)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd have to say something... and if it wasn't resolved I would be buying and presenting a receipt!

Hugs x

6. Likes Toothfairy liked this post
    Feb 12
    Non childminder member
    nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I never do the shopping as I'm only an after school nanny.

I have text before now to say your out of toilet roll & she replied saying she would pick some up but didn't..two days later she still hadn't got any :s. So on that occasion I asked if I could get some out of change from tea.

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would def buy a pack and claim it back or peak to her face to face having said that chances are it will work for a while then she will slip back to 'forgetting' maybe agree that she leave say a a small amount of money in a drawer so if it happens again you can go get them but you really shouldn't have to when your only doing afterschool, you at least expect to be able to be provided with the basic essentials!
    The joys of nannying, I sympathise! My only advice is keep mentioning it as much as you have to till its sorted. Good luck.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my word - you told them they had none and 2 DAYS later they STILL had none?! That is awful! What did they do?! I mean you can't "drip dry" for a number 2 now can you?!

When I was a nanny I had a kitty and just wrote in my daily diary balance, outgoings, balance. I kept all receipts in the diary - it was mums job to get rid of them so they stayed in there for some time. If I knew I would need cash for something the next day I would tell them and how much I would need - so obviously more if it was for fuel or not as much if it was loo roll. They generally kept me topped up. Sometimes I would buy things if they would forget to leave cash but they would make sure I had it back next day. What is your current arrangement for money spending? If you don't have one I think it might be worth you speaking with them to start something up.

10. Likes mum24, heidilunn, loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 12
    Non childminder member
    nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Oh my word - you told them they had none and 2 DAYS later they STILL had none?! That is awful! What did they do?! I mean you can't "drip dry" for a number 2 now can you?!

When I was a nanny I had a kitty and just wrote in my daily diary balance, outgoings, balance. I kept all receipts in the diary - it was mums job to get rid of them so they stayed in there for some time. If I knew I would need cash for something the next day I would tell them and how much I would need - so obviously more if it was for fuel or not as much if it was loo roll. They generally kept me topped up. Sometimes I would buy things if they would forget to leave cash but they would make sure I had it back next day. What is your current arrangement for money spending? If you don't have one I think it might be worth you speaking with them to start something up.
    I asked my husband to drop me some toilet roll as i had no money on me. but before he got there it got to 8.45 & i was desperate for a number 2 so i had to ask a neighbour who id never met if i could borrow a toilet roll, i was so embarassed!!!

When The mum arrived home I told her i had to ask a neighbour for some toilet roll, she appolagised but its happened a few times?!
    I quite often have to spend money whilst at work & she happily pays me back the next day as i keep a reciept for her. but theres never any money in the house or anything for emergencies, and i dont always carry money with me. I dont usually have to spend any money at work as i only do the evenings but like last week i had her during the day instead we spent the day in town & i bought her some clothes as asked to by her mum and kept all reciepts and she paid me back with my wages the following day.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've known some people who just don't use toilet rolls at all. Maybe they do the 'wash' method? A friend in France had no toilet roll. Just an attachment on the bathroom tap (next to toilet) and you were expected to shower you bits clean...Yurghh!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

But in all honesty I'd buy some and charge her for it. If she gets funny, then just bring your own along. They sound quite penny pinching to be honest

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked my husband to drop me some toilet roll as i had no money on me. but before he got there it got to 8.45 & i was desperate for a number 2 so i had to ask a neighbour who id never met if i could borrow a toilet roll, i was so embarassed!!!

When The mum arrived home I told her i had to ask a neighbour for some toilet roll, she appolagised but its happened a few times?!
    I quite often have to spend money whilst at work & she happily pays me back the next day as i keep a reciept for her. but theres never any money in the house or anything for emergencies, and i dont always carry money with me. I dont usually have to spend any money at work as i only do the evenings but like last week i had her during the day instead we spent the day in town & i bought her some clothes as asked to by her mum and kept all reciepts and she paid me back with my wages the following day.
    Would it be worth asking mum to leave some money in the house in case of emergencies?

I think I'd be tempted to take my own supply of toilet roll with me & keep it in my bag!

15. Likes Ripeberry, VeggieSausage liked this post
    Feb 12
    Non childminder member
    nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

I left two rolls there last night, one from a neighbour & one my husband dropped off.. I don't like the thought of the little girl being left without any, what's that teaching her??

I wouldn't mind so much if they had wetwipes but nothing.

17. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a large pack and take it with me and when leaving take it home again, some people really worry me!!!!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Def keep a supply I have take ha to take loads with me in some of my old nanny jobs I always kept coffee in my bag too lol particularly for the families that never used to replace it quick enough and then left me to work beyond 6:30pm without notice after a 7:30am start, how would I manage that without caffeine!!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I left two rolls there last night, one from a neighbour & one my husband dropped off.. I don't like the thought of the little girl being left without any, what's that teaching her??

I wouldn't mind so much if they had wetwipes but nothing.
    In some countries you only get a seashell to clean yourself with.

Feb 12
    Non childminder member
    nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I'll start taking my own toilet roll in & take it home with me again.

I take in my own tea, tea bags, sugar & milk because they never have these essentials (in my eyes they are essentials)

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I used to babysit for a woman who didnt have the same items you call essentials Heidi and I never knew what time she would be home, I used to take my own supplies from home as couldnt cope from 7pm until 2am with nothing to eat or drink.

Totally irrelevant but I was reading a magazine last night and read that the same woman had been done for defrauding loads of people. She was a bit strange

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i always used to insist on a kitty for odds & ends when i was nannying, and it was something i mentioned at interview.

i too have nannied and babysat for families who have different idea of essentials to us mere mortals!

one family had a huge pantry full to the brim of food, but nothing to actually eat or drink!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! How embarrassing to have to have asked a neighbour! It is good that she reimburses you quickly but I really think you should have a word with her about having a small "kitty" even if its only £5 and you can keep a balance sheet so she knows that you need more - maybe you will only ever use it to buy loo roll but really you shouldn't be needing to provide these things for her home and her child. I would be really cross if I were you!

25. Likes heidilunn liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast