Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    Pre Reg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default attention span of very young chilren

Just wondering if you all think there a age which is two young to take children to the Cinema.

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My son was 3.5 when we first took him to the cinema. It was to see the Wizard of Oz and he loved it, was a bit fidgety towards the end but did really well. I really think it depends on the child. Also how many children!

3. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think my son was 4 when dh took him to see finding nemo. He made the mistake of sitting through 20mins of trailers so by the end of the film DS was very bored and missed the end...lol

I think it depends on the individual child but I would say about 3.5-4yrs if they are good at sitting still. A lot of children especially boys can't sit still for long at that age but I have a nearly 4 yr old who is very good at sitting and concentrating
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

5. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our first trip was this year with our youngest 5 and 4. We watched the avengers youngest fall asleep but woke up when the hulk turned up.

Depends on the child and the film.

Also if you are taking a group what do you do if one won't sit still do the others have to leave as well.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

7. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit on the extreem side on this one and woulnd't take a child until they're 10, as I consider it as an assault on the child's senses (big screen, loud sounds, and general effects), plus you pay for it, so you are more likely to stay to the end even if the child is not particularly enjoying the experience, whereas at home they can always move freely and just get up from the sofa if they have had enough.
    You can find lots more details on the web on cons.

But I am counter current

9. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it's difficult because as the previous poster said it is so loud in the cinema, my son was petrified when we first took him and he was about 5! My daughter has a terrible habit of needing the loo a hundred times so we had to make sure my and my hubby went if we had both kids so that one could stay and one could do the toilet runs without leaving my son on his own or dragging everyone out of the screen to the loos.

All sounds like hard work doesn't it My tip - get a DVD and popcorn and stay home, it's cheaper, loos on hand and you can stop it when they get bored!

11. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

In the October half term I took, 5 chikdren ages, 8, 8, 5, 3, 3 and 3. They loved it, they are all very much independent three year olds (well one was a week of being three) it was the childrens showing so didn't matter if they talked and wriggled, we had three trips to the toilet, they want to know when we are going again and told every one in ear shot I am the best childminder in the world!

13. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I take mindees to the cinema, the youngest was 3. It was to see films that I consider to be fairly easy watching and amusing. I have to say though that my current group of mindees are avivd film fans

15. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

we didnt go unitll my son was 10yrs and daughter would have been 12yrs but that was mainly because my son has sensory issues and couldnt cope with loud noises so somwhere like the pictures would have jusb been terrible for him.
    as for little uns why not try a dvd at home and pretend its a cinema and see how long they will sit for then you can judge wether its a good idea to take them or not. Personally I hate it when the kids keep getting up and down infront of me or wriggling or chatting and I once fell out with som ol boy cause he kept kicking the back of my chair but then i like to sit and relax and watch and it was a kids showing so I probably shouldnt have gone lol

17. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Im taking my two year old grand daughter to see the new Tinkerbell movie. She is everso slightly obsessed by the little fairy...dont know where she gets that from!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

19. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    Im taking my two year old grand daughter to see the new Tinkerbell movie. She is everso slightly obsessed by the little fairy...dont know where she gets that from!
    Me, my husband and little girl who is 3 are so excited for the new rink film. We even bought DD a winter tinkerbelle costume for the occasion

21. Likes silvermist, Kevin1964 liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    Me, my husband and little girl who is 3 are so excited for the new rink film. We even bought DD a winter tinkerbelle costume for the occasion
    OMG! I am totally obsessed with all things Tink. I have all the dvds, loads of mugs and ornaments, My grand daughter has also become obsessed with her and every time she comes over she says, "shall we go get tinkerbell" and we have to get a little plastic tink off the top of the door frame for her to play with. For christmas I got her a tink dressing gown and a set of disney fairies!!! Cant wait to see her face when she opens them. Wish I had a tink dressing gown! lol

Enjoy the movie!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

23. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I first took my girls when they were around 2 - always just went to the kids am cinema which is about £1 each so if they didn't like it we just left - we still tend to go to the kids am showings as great value for money.

My eldest (now 10) always happily sat from a very young age but we had to be very careful what we took her to see as even now if there is a slightly sad but in the film she will cry and get very upset!! First cried at piglet feeling sad whe she was 2 and is the only person I know who found a sad bit to cry in when watching elf!!!

My wee one on the other hand (now 6) still is known to get restless and will only happily sit if she is really enjoying the film - although she is like this at home - rarely watches tv for more than few minutes (unlike big sis!)

Not attempted to take any mindees yet but the 2 I have are 7 months and almost 3 - think will leave that for a long while!!

25. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=scottishlass;1187812]I first took my girls when they were around 2 - always just went to the kids am cinema which is about £1 each so if they didn't like it we just left - we still tend to go to the kids am showings as great value for money.

QUOTE]

We go to the kids club too - the idea being if the kids do not like it, we can go and it hasn't cost a fortune

I never buy drinks, sweets or popcorn when going with my own kids, and would definatly never if I had mindees with me. Just take a fruit juice and penguin biccy instead.

27. Likes scottishlass, Kevin1964 liked this post
    Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=k1rstie;1187815]
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishlass View Post
    I first took my girls when they were around 2 - always just went to the kids am cinema which is about £1 each so if they didn't like it we just left - we still tend to go to the kids am showings as great value for money.

QUOTE]

We go to the kids club too - the idea being if the kids do not like it, we can go and it hasn't cost a fortune

I never buy drinks, sweets or popcorn when going with my own kids, and would definatly never if I had mindees with me. Just take a fruit juice and penguin biccy instead.
    We stock up on snacks at the poundshop before we go!

29. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=scottishlass;1187817]
    Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post

We stock up on snacks at the poundshop before we go!

We made out own popcorn in the morning before we went, the chikdren loved it as well as decorating their own paper bags for it.

31. Likes Kevin1964, scottishlass liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1964 View Post
    Just wondering if you all think there a age which is two young to take children to the Cinema.
    I pretty much stopped going to the cinema because of the selfish, inconsiderate, purile behaviour there. Too often, many of those in the auditorium were noisy, pushing, or clumping around too much.

Judging by the ages of those who were regularly misbehaving at the time I gave up going, I'd have to say I would definitely not let a child into a cinema before they were at least thirty-five.

33. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post