What would you do?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do?

About two weeks ago I signed my first ever mindee (after school from 3-6pm two days a week) to start on the 15th Nov as mum is starting her new job then. which I am pleased about but now things have changed for me and my family. Here goes, sorry in advance if I waffle on... Since June this year we have been looking to relocate to Sheffield and did find a house to rent but that fell through so last month we kept looking and the Monday 29- Wednesday 31 Oct we went up to Sheffield to look at some houses. I haven't said anything to my parent who I've just signed with until I know whats going on. We found a house that we like but I have just spoken to the agent and they said the landlord wants someone to have the moving date of 30th Nov!!! We really like this house and would suit our growing family (have one 19 month old and one on the way) but how do I tell the parent who I have just signed contracts with and taken a 2 week deposit that we could be moving on the 30th?? How would you tell them? I was thinking of getting numbers of other childminders in my area and giving them to mum. I took the child on as we didin't think we would find a house this quickly and the landlord wanting us to move in so quickly (landlord has been waiting ages for some to move in thats why wants it done before xmas). Also we have to give our landlord notice and my finace has to give notice to his work. I feel so bad and sick that I have taken the mum on and now things are changing so quickly .

Also I am looking for opinions on whether we should take the house at such a short time???
    Houses to rent in Sheffield get taken up very quickly, if we were to let this house go we may not find a house like it or for ages.....so I don't know what to do.
    Has anyone been in a similar position of letting a parent down at such a short time?

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry too much about the mindee. I' m sure another childminder can take them on. The question is do you and your family want to move to this house. If it's right for you then go for it.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Right ring the mum explain that you have been offered the house and you are really sorry but the contract wont be commencing and you will be returning the deposit asap.

Do you know any of the other cm's in the area that have space who could take the child on if yes then give the numbers so she contact them.

The quicker you do this the better really.

Good luck with the house move
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Think of yourself and your family first Do you like the house?..is it a good move? etc etc

Then when have decided if its a good move for your family then just ring and be truthful. Tell her you have decided to move to Sheffield and have to think of your family and how it affects them.

Im sure everything will be fine
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be honest with her, apologise for letting her down, and obviously return her deposit and any other monies paid.

Good luck with the move

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just phoned mum, said I have some bad news and that my family have been accepted to move to Sheffield and that I her contract won't be able to commence because of it happening at the end of the month. She just said did I know about this? I said no because otherwise i wouldn't have taken on her child and she just said she's gonna have to call me back!! I didn't get a change to explain, to give her other numbers and to talk about giving her deposit back. Now Im just sat waiting for her to phone me back....

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I need to give the mum notice in writing or anything? If so what do I write?

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Mum just phoned back...well her friend phoned n said shes too upset to talk so I had to explain everything to her. I explained about whats best for my family, gave her numbers of other childminders and told her that I wouldn't have taken on the contract if i knew that we were moving at the end of the month! Don't think she believed me!! Her friend said i'll come up and collect the deposit at some point because the mum is too angry too. I so hope this move goes through. I was so upset n in tears after the phone call. Think its because it was my first ever mindee. I am only doing whats best for my family, but feel so bad for doing so

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont be upset, you have just done whats best for you and your family. The mum has a couple of weeks to sort out her childcare and sure it will be fine. x

10. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Has someone died then?!

Sorry, I appreciate that mum may be disappointed but do think she's going a bit OTT on a contract that hasn't even started yet!

You've confirmed to her that if you had known what was going to happen you would't have agreed to taking her on.I would write a note, just so you can keep it 'on file' as it were, and make sure you get her/her friend to sign to say they have received the deposit in full.
    Just something along the lines of:

Dear Parent

It is with regret that due to a recent change in personal circumstances I will no longer be able to start our contract on xx date.

Please find enclosed/attached your deposit of £x.xx in full

If you require another childcare provider, the FIS can provide you with a list etc etc etc

I wish you and your family well for the future