Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Riding Lesson

I'm taking my 5 year old DD for her first riding lesson this morning and I'm going to be so jealous!
    Last week we went to see a friend who has horses and both my girls (5 and 2.7) had a sit and ride on her 16.2hh gelding. He was lovely with them and they both kept on at me to have another go. (I also had a little ride and it's been 13 years since I last rode and made me realise how much I miss it )
    I can't find anywhere locally who caters for children younger than 4 so the little one will have to wait but I can see me booking up a lesson before M is even on her pony!
    I love the fact that neither of them have any fear around horse (even big ones) but it does mean I have to keep a close eye on them

Not point to this thread, just wanted to share my enthusiasm!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to ride lots when i was younger, before boys came along

Hope your dd has a great time x

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

eeeeeee we own 5 both my girls have ridden since they were 18 mths, but then they have been lucky that i have always had my own, my eldest is 15 now and she used to ride my 17.2 warmblood at 2

have to show off now with piccies x

Mods - feel free to resize,I did but PB is not playing fair!!

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i started riding at 18 months (actually my mum was still riding when i was a bump!)...apparently i had an instinctive seat (i think i just hung on for grim death)

I rode every day until i left home - couldnt afford to keep my horses. Then didnt ride for a bout 10 years. Went back and my word....i was in pain. I couldnt drive home because i couldnt lift my clutch foot!

It did get better then i broke my neck 10 years ago and havent ridden since as told too risky. During the 10 years i have developed serious allergy to all animals including horses!

i miss it so much....love the feeling. Enjoyed watching the equestrian events on the olympics. its a great but addictive hobby!

wibble xxxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh the memories
    I taught both my dd's to ride but neither of them have continued ( now 18 and 20 yrs).
    I miss my horses desperately . Both now passed on to pastures new as in dead I had my mare for 26 years and we had 6 fabulous foals from her. I sold the last one when I was expecting and retired my mare.
    I wish I could still ride but with a metal hip and serious arthritis in other, no chance That coupled with the fact that I'd have to ride a cart horse now!
    Get yourself some refresher lessons Two Princesses and enjoy every minute
    Carol xx

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Jods, what lovely pics, especially the middle one.

I still fondly remember riding when I was a little girl. I loved it, great childhood memories.

xxxx

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to go and live with Jods! Fab pictures!

Well DD loved it and looks like it might start to become a regular thing, although I'm not sure I can afford weekly
    I'll be having my lesson next week too

I used to work with horses and had my own pony when I was young and shared a horse when I was working but it just got so expensive and I had to give it up

Sorry to hear about your neck Wibble, was it a riding accident?

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

glad she enjoyed it. My 5 year old DS wants to go horseriding but he is really really really stupidly scared of animals (he ran away from a kitten chasing him this morning.)
    Blessed Be!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    glad she enjoyed it. My 5 year old DS wants to go horseriding but he is really really really stupidly scared of animals (he ran away from a kitten chasing him this morning.)
    That's really sweet actually, although I'm not sure how he would cope if a horse/pony came towards him!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never ridden horses but my little girl who has just turned three loves them. We tried to get a lesson for her birthday but she wasn't old enough. However we found a local horse and pony sanctuary who for £5 gave her a hour grooming and feeding the pony topped off with a little 15 minute ride. She loved it everyone there couldn't believe her confidence and how she was a natural at sitting on him. We have since been back the last 3 Saturdays as my little girl is obsessed.

I think I may need to start saving as I can see it becoming something she really wants to do.

Also when I went to see a psychic last year she told me that my little girl is at one with horses and can see them In her life. At the time I thought what is she on about as my little girl had not really mentioned them. Spooky how right she was

mar 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Both my daughters have ridden since they were five. We got our own pony 4 years ago (cheaper than lessons when you have a few kids!). My son enjoys riding and all the care that goes with her. Ive always loved horses and as a teenager would doing anything for a ride. Im so pleased that they all love horses now i can indulge my passion and pass it off as a cheap hobby for the kids to the hubby!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumof4 View Post
    Both my daughters have ridden since they were five. We got our own pony 4 years ago (cheaper than lessons when you have a few kids!). My son enjoys riding and all the care that goes with her. Ive always loved horses and as a teenager would doing anything for a ride. Im so pleased that they all love horses now i can indulge my passion and pass it off as a cheap hobby for the kids to the hubby!
    Well if both mine want to do it (and me!) then we'll be spending £300 a month on weekly lessons so then you look at a share in a pony which works out cheaper I think it'll be a fair few years before we can look at getting our own one though
    I'd really like them to learn stable management too as I think it's all too easy for children to 'take the good' from animals without helping with the day to day care of them. They need to realise that all animals need looking after before you get to ride/pet/stroke/play with them. It's like getting a new puppy or kitten, they're great to play with but it's always mum who clears up the poo!
    I worked with horses so I know how hard the work is that goes into keeping them well but the satisfaction you get from it (not to mention the love from the animal) more than makes up for it