Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Argh, am I being too harsh?

For a few nights when I have gone to check on my children once they've gone to bed (son 6, daughter nearly 2) I have found patches of water on the ladder of my son's high sleeper, on the floor and on my daughter's bed (she sleeps in the same room under the high-sleeper bed). Well last night I went to check and caught my son sat up on his bed spitting down onto his sleeping sister!!!
    I think the reason he is doing it is because he doesn't agree with his bedtime in the summer hols, he thinks he should be allowed to stay up late but I prefer consistency especially because I am sure if DD realised then it would affect her bedtimes which is something we have only just got into a nice routine...anyway... my son was supposed to be staying over at my mum's house for a "sleepover" tomorrow and I have now said he can't go, he will have to wait until next week. My mum thinks I am being harsh and am I sure he wasn't dribbling in his sleep?!

I'm not being too harsh am I?
    I think spitting is disgusting and the amount he has been doing it over several nights and onto his sister is horrid.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post
    For a few nights when I have gone to check on my children once they've gone to bed (son 6, daughter nearly 2) I have found patches of water on the ladder of my son's high sleeper, on the floor and on my daughter's bed (she sleeps in the same room under the high-sleeper bed). Well last night I went to check and caught my son sat up on his bed spitting down onto his sleeping sister!!!
    I think the reason he is doing it is because he doesn't agree with his bedtime in the summer hols, he thinks he should be allowed to stay up late but I prefer consistency especially because I am sure if DD realised then it would affect her bedtimes which is something we have only just got into a nice routine...anyway... my son was supposed to be staying over at my mum's house for a "sleepover" tomorrow and I have now said he can't go, he will have to wait until next week. My mum thinks I am being harsh and am I sure he wasn't dribbling in his sleep?!

I think spitting is disgusting and the amount he has been doing it over several nights and onto his sister is horrid.
    Errghh, that is horrible but actually quite funny too, sorry . You're right though. I hate spitting too, can't stand seeing people doing it in the street. I think you're right to stand by the consequences. I sometimes get family telling me I can be too harsh but my children will be bought up properly with good manners and respect so yes sometimes I am very strict.

xxxxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you. He is old enough to realsie there is a consequence to his actions.

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think you're being harsh!! I know I am too soft, but you have not given your ds a warning for this behaviour. If he is not given a chance to stop before receiving a sanction then that feels a bit mean to me.
    Plus your dd and you are missing out on time without your ds around!!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by margimum View Post
    Yes I think you're being harsh!! I know I am too soft, but you have not given your ds a warning for this behaviour. If he is not given a chance to stop before receiving a sanction then that feels a bit mean to me.
    Plus your dd and you are missing out on time without your ds around!!
    I get what you are saying about warnings, however there are somethings that do not need warnings such as smacking and such things warrant instant sanctions.

My son is 6 and he KNOWS spitting is not allowed, he doesn't need a warning to know he shouldn't do it. Therefore if it were my son I would do the exact same thing as OP...

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Brothers are horrid things...I know I've got one But I would let him go just to show that I trust that he will change his behaviour. And as someone said, your daughter would miss that special time with the parents and having the bedroom to herself.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post

No I don't think you are being too harsh at all and i think young man needs to learn a lesson

think your mum is probably more disappointed than questioning your parenting skills.

Feb 01
    Post Thanks / Like

No your not being too harsh i totally agree that he needs to learn that spitting will not be tolerated at any time and if it were my ds he certainly would not be having a sleepover!!!!!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No you're not being harsh. He's old enough to know spitting is wrong. My mum always tells me I am too hard on my kids but she's so soft with them. She was never that soft with me when I was little!! Stick to your guns hun, even though it's hard xx

BuggsieMoo Guest

No, I dont think you are being too harsh. He is old enough to know better. He is your child, not your mothers and therefore it is your rules and your discipline, not hers xx

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think its harsh at all. He is quite old enough to know that spitting is disgusting and unacceptable and that his behaviour needs to improve before he gets treats like sleepovers.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor little chap. At 6yrs old he's being made to go to bed earlier than he thinks because of his 1yr old sister. No wonder he's resentful.

I'm not condoning the spitting at all, it's horrible, but I can see why he's doing something to express how he's feeling.

I would be trying to tackle his resentment and see if there's some sort of compromise you can agree on. Give him a chance to apologise and show he can behave in a more appropriate way.

Other posters are saying that at 6yrs old he is old enough to know it's wrong, but maybe at 6yrs old he's old enough to go to bed a bit later in the holidays?

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As you caught your DS sitting up and spitting at his sister, I think you are justified.

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Poor little chap. At 6yrs old he's being made to go to bed earlier than he thinks because of his 1yr old sister. No wonder he's resentful.

I'm not condoning the spitting at all, it's horrible, but I can see why he's doing something to express how he's feeling.

I would be trying to tackle his resentment and see if there's some sort of compromise you can agree on. Give him a chance to apologise and show he can behave in a more appropriate way.

Other posters are saying that at 6yrs old he is old enough to know it's wrong, but maybe at 6yrs old he's old enough to go to bed a bit later in the holidays?
    I agree, he's trying to tell you that he's unhappy through his behaviour. I would talk it all through with him and get to the bottom of it. Stopping the sleepover is counter-productive for you all. xx

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a little bit harsh to be honest.

I know it's not nice what he was doing, my son was doing the same thing a few months back. how strange is that? I noticed wet patches on the ladder steps and quilt and could not understand where it was coming from. then I saw him doing it!! I was not happy,

is he well behaved at other times? if so I would let him off on this one, of course making him fully aware that it is not acceptable behavior and that he is never to do it again.

I think at 6 yes they should know better but they are still very young.

I told my son i was very disappointed In him and he was not to do it again otherwise all privileges would be taken away, such as tv time and time on his ds. he hasn't done it since.

if your son was spitting after you had told him it was unacceptable then I would agree with not letting him sleepover.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dont think you were too harsh in fact if i caught my ds doing such a thing doubtful if he would be going on a sleepover for a long time till i was sure he would never spit again.

Doesnt matter if we agree with your bedtime rountine or not it is what suits your family. If you little boy is upset at the earlier bedtime and thinks spitting onto his sisters bed is the answer then he does need to learn consequences of his actions and by the sound of it there was a lot of spit.

Also my way of thinking if he is allowed to go now then he will think spitting is the answer and will continue.

Children they are sent to try us
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No I think that is fair enough and not too harsh, hopefully he won't do it again, unacceptable behaviour!

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the opinions and replies.

I am happy now that I wasn't too harsh and agree my mum was probably disappointed that she's not having her little mate coming to play

He is well behaved the majority of the time (I won't claim he is all the time because EVERY child has their moments). He knows spitting is dirty and wrong, whenever we see a footballer on tv or a man in the street spitting we always say how yucky it is. I don't feel a warning is suitable here, it should never have occurred in the first place, by warning him it shouldn't happen again I feel gives him the opportunity to continue with the behaviour thinking he can be sneaky and not get caught like on the previous occasions.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You are absolutely right and should stick to your guns consistency is key children need to know what is acceptable and what is not, well done you!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to try very hard never to impose sanctions that made my life more difficult

So I'd have withdrawn something else but let him go on the sleepover because that was a break for me

Hugs xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast