Home schooling
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Home schooling

md0u0131 Guest

Default Home schooling

Have any of you home schooled your own children? I would be interested in hearing your experience if you have done. I am seriously thinking about it for my little girl (she's only 3 at the moment so not due to start till Sept 2013).

Registered Childminder since
    July 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi . . . I have been a childminder for 3 years and have been homeschooling my 7 and 12 yr old sons . . . I really feel the two compliment each other and it has actually improved my childcare service, we are doing so much more, learning through fun and play . . . my 7 yr old comes out with us every morning and he does work in the afternoon (we are structured and do follow the curriculum) . . . my 12 yr old is registered with Oxford Home Schooling and he receives all his lessons, tests (which I have the answers) and has great tutors and does an assignment per subject which his tutors mark . . . if they get stuck and need my help, we do that when all the kids have gone home . . . It works well, and i imagine would work even better when you are home educating your little one . . . my LOs love my boys being here and they are so good with the LOs . . . are you Accredited? . . . there is so much about it . . . great Forums and FB Groups with fabulous people with GREAT ideas, much like the minders community . . . but happy to chat if you want to call me . . . Tamara 07735 061 629

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Had no idea that you could get tutors for Home Schooling. Always thought that you had to do it all yourself and just get books from shops/libraries. Might think about it for my own girls as I'm not sure about any of the secondary schools around me. But then I hated secondary school and would have loved to have been at home
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be home edding my yongest who is 3 next month, my eldest has been through the school system, my middle child (10) is currently in school, but i have no intention of sending my youngest. She was due to start the school nursery in September, but i just took her name off the list this last week. There are some fab networks out there like Tam said. My facebook support pages are fantastic too, and give me the confidence to do it.

md0u0131 Guest

Have you got some links to the support groups?

I don't know what to do yet, still very much keeping all options open. Do you know if you can part home school, part mainstream or is it all or nothing?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My brother and his wife home school their children (USA), as does my best friend (South Africa)... it works very well... they have sessions at home and sessions with the local homeschooling community. I was with my nephews and nieces on holiday this month and the standard is very high, I was suitably impressed. Had a look at their text books too... engaging and learner based.

If I have kids (hoping I do), then I will home school for sure.
    Jen

jumpinjen Guest

I have home schooled my daughters from the start, there is a national yahoo support group called he-uk where people often post initially to try and find local support networks to them - the network of he'ers in the West Midlands is really busy and that is great - I found it easy to balance the two things when my children were very young but as they have got older it is trickier as we can't really go to toddler groups and stay and plays as they aren't interested anymore and things have shifted a little - there is now an HE group that is suitable for the mindees too but previous to that the groups weren't suitable for toddlers so it can take some time to find your way - feel free to pm me if you want to chat more about it....

HTH, Jen x