Idea for a school event.....?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Idea for a school event.....?

I'm the Chair of the Parents Association at my sons school and I am trying to get new ideas for events we could have.

I have had a thought that for next summer (2013) we could have a Carnival - of sorts! Only just thought of the idea and would like some input as to what you think we could do.

Initial thoughts are: floats to go through the local streets; circus or fair; calypso,samba,salsa music; steel bands; performers,dancers (possibly giving lessons); caribbean food; possibly fireworks if late enough at night.

Any one else have any ideas or anything to add to make this a good or bad idea? I am wiling to take ALL advice whether it is good or bad. I want to go back to the PA with some concrete ideas and/or safety issues, etc.

Thanks - happy thinking!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

our school has a world foods festival. All the parents bring a dish and it's either sold at the school fair or they do it as a family picnic day and everyone tries some of everything.

fish and chip supper quiz nights always go down well too

but, for your carnival I'd have a limbo competition best outfit, you could have a dance off with judges x-factor style
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a lovely idea .
    But it depends upon why youre doing it it will be an amazing high profile event , but not neccessarily matched by profit.
    Major events like this take a vast amount of work - and if youre PTA is anything like ours its always the same few people who take the major part of it. In terms of profit - yes of course theyre good but not when weighed up against the input and outlay costs are very high.
    Over the years I have been on the commitee at a number of schools - the main thing Ive learned is to try and keep it simple. Things like bagpacks etc bring in as much money as fundays etc with a fraction of the time/ work.
    We now try to have one large summer fayre on the school fields and invite stall holders etc to come , local dance school , all the usual things you would expect. We looked at fireworks one year but the cost of insurance was . You would need to speak to the council about road closures etc for your carnival as a first step to see if it is even an option.