'' hes had a little adventure'' - overreacting or not?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default '' hes had a little adventure'' - overreacting or not?

Ds is 5 and was asked to play at his friends house last night.
    When he was dropped off friends mum laughed and said - hes had a little adventure. Q ( 5) was laughing too.
    He had fallen in a lake!!
    Now Im not a cotton wool mum but fgs it was pouring down , the lake was extra high due to all the rain , and 2 5 year olds were playing on the fishing platform - mum and partner were ( from how Q describes it) about 100 yards away.
    He swam to the edge and was absolutely fine. I dont think she was aware he could swim but thank G he could!
    As far as I was aware they were playing at Ms house. I dont think Ill be saying yes next time he wants to go and play and Im sure they will think Im completely over-reacting. Am I?

aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

omg thats awful - no you are not over reacting I would be fuming the outcome could have been much worse - this is why its so important that all children can swim. Good for you for not saying anything because i dont think i would have kept my cool

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

omg no not a laughing matter!!!
    If someone elses child had fallen in a lake while in my care (which hopefully i would never let happen) i would be mortified and terrifeid of telling parents not laughing!!
    My assistants brother fell in a lake last year he was 7 and drowned, dont mean to be depressing but im so shocked!!!!

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

no you're not he's 5 not 15 and therefore doesnt have the strength to fight against anything that could be pulling him. I know there's no current as such but our river was extremely fast flowing a couple of days ago and i dont think a child would have stood a chance at swimming out of it

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No, you are not over-reacting. If it were my son he would never, ever be left with them ever again and I think I would having a hard time to stop (my normally placid) son's father from paying them a very angry visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Excuse me, but they didn't even know he was in the lake! If he hadn't been able to swim and get himself out he could so easily have drown before they'd noticed.

You're not over-reacting at all!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Absolutely not!

If I have DS/DD's (when she was younger) friends over and we weren't planning on staying at home I would always ask the parents if it's ok with them for us to go wherever

Could her laughing be out on nervousness rather than humour I wonder

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Excuse me, but they didn't even know he was in the lake! If he hadn't been able to swim and get himself out he could so easily have drown before they'd noticed.

You're not over-reacting at all!

Miffy xx
    I think they were watching - the mums partner went running down ready to jump in. He was 2 or 3 strokes from the edge but needed help being pulled out. I keep telling myself that accidents happen - and hes fine - but then keep going back to the fact that I would never ever have let them play there in the first place. maybe its because I think things through - childminder mode .
    Or maybe I really cant trust DS to anyone else at all til hes approx 33!!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie H View Post
    Absolutely not!

If I have DS/DD's (when she was younger) friends over and we weren't planning on staying at home I would always ask the parents if it's ok with them for us to go wherever

Could her laughing be out on nervousness rather than humour I wonder
    Im sure that was part of it. She was probably trying to downplay it and was nervous. But I refuse to feel sorry for her.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG i just read this, I cant believe it, what if he couldnt swim!!!
    No you are definately not over reacting xxx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be livid.

Two lively 5 year old should not be playing on an unguarded platform by water unless the intention is that they are going in the water and they are dressed appropriately with close supervision even if they can swim.

He could have been shocked by the cold as he hit the water, he could have hit his head on something as he went in the water, he could have been dragged under by the clothes he was wearing.

Well done him for getting himself back to the platform.

I would never leave my child in the care of these parents again. I would have been horrified if something like this had happened to a child in my care and would have found it hard to tell you. I certainly wouldn't have been laughing about it!

Very irresponsible.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i've got a 5 year old son who cannot swim a stroke.... you've just made my blood run cold!! i am so unbelievably relieved for you that your son can swim enough to get himself to safety but OMG - i watch other people with their kids out and about and i can't help but think to myself that they are mostly all accidents waiting to happen
    i would never ever ever allow DS to the care of those parents again.
    Blessed Be!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You're not over-reacting at all, I would be fuming to say the least - totally irresponsible taking them near a lake in the rain for starters I hope you're OK and would definitely not let them care for your son again xx

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I am over cautious. We took 2 of my sons friends on a trip along the canal to see father christmas as my sons birthday treat and we never left the children unless closely supervised close to the water. The children could swim, but thats not the point.

I see so many families out and can see all sorts of accidents waiting to happen and think this family should have taken more care and been on the platform with the children so hooking out would be instant

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No my child would never be left with them again - I am a firm believer of accidents happen gosh my ds is the child who leans over the fishing bits at our lake no matter how many times you tell him. But someone elses child
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

An 8 year old boy died last week after falling into water, his body was found a few days later.
    You are not over reacting at all
    Carol xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no words
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I am horrified. If a child had fallen into a lake in my care I would be beside myself upset. I would be begging the mothers forgiveness. I know accidents happen but with two five year olds at the side of a lake I would have been in grabbing distance in case they got too near the edge.

I think you are amazingly calm, I would have been giving them a peice of my mind and bursting into tears at the thought of what could have happened. You are not over reating in the slightest to never letting your DS play over again.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never trust that woman with my child again, this was so dangerous
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not over reacting! I would of been horrified and definitely would not want to let my child go out with them again.

Anything could of happened!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast