Hello - my story
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello - my story

Hi everyone (sorry this is a little long)

I've been overweight for as long as I can remember and I need to sort myself out. I have done pretty much every popular diet known to man but I have found myself to get bored very easily.

I loved SW and have been with them several times through the years, the first time I lost 2 stone and then put it and more back on. Then I tried by myself with no luck then gave up for a while.

Last June I decided to calorie count and did myself proud by losing 2 stone all by myself! I was exercising most days by going swimming, the gym and doing DVDs at home. Then my rent was increased and I couldn't afford the gym membership any longer. That was the worst possible thing I could have done. Since then I have put 1 1/2 stone back on.

I really need to get this sorted once and for all as I'm going to be 30 in Sept and I am fed up of not being able to play with my son for longer than 5 minutes before having to sit down or telling him I can't do this or I can't do that.

So I have decided that from Saturday I am going to pull myself together - but I would really like your support! I struggle every day with it and have up and down days as does everyone. I am going to Butlins on Monday and have decided I will use it as an excuse to get out and exercise more, even if its raining.

So can anyone help?

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably no help to you BUT good luck to you and you can achieve everything you want with some will power and positive thinking!!

Good luck!!!!

Xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for deciding to make a change, I've been calorie counting since Easter and it's slow going, some days are better than others. I wish you all the best, it does make it easier when you can talk to people on a forum, someone will always be here to give advice and cheer you on!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The thing with any diet is to forget it's a diet!

You need to rethink - and look at it as a healthy eating plan for life and get your portion sizes / foods sorted out into a menu you enjoy.

If you then continue eating your new menu the odd blip is totally manageable.

Get your head around it first... the rest will follow.

Good luck!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    The thing with any diet is to forget it's a diet!

You need to rethink - and look at it as a healthy eating plan for life and get your portion sizes / foods sorted out into a menu you enjoy.

If you then continue eating your new menu the odd blip is totally manageable.

Get your head around it first... the rest will follow.

Good luck!
    I think sarah is right.

I'm in my late forties and have always struggled with a weight problem, but have had periods in my life when I have been my ideal weight (incuding after having my 2nd child ) but at present am 5 stone overweight I spent 18mths with slimming world kidding myself that I was steadily loosing weight, but infact only lost a total of 9lbs in that time I was just taking it off and putting it on again.
    4 weeks ago I took myself to task and joined weight watchers with my sister (she is currently 2 stone less than me and I intend to catch her up!). I have lost 9lbs in 4 weeks The plan works well for me and it already feels like second nature and not a diet. I think you just have to find what works for you, they all work, its just how you work them I'm sure the insentive to be able to play with your son will keep you on track for longer, use that as your vision and focus. My motivation has actually come from a neighbour, who is my age and is now wheelchair bound due to the complications of diabetes. She was diagnosed about 10 years ago and has chosen to ignore it and is now bearing the consequences. I find this so sad and a waste of life, but it is was is spuring me on to change my bad habbits
    Good luck, keep checking in

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Weight watchers

I started weight watchers last week as I've put on so much weight since having my daughter, I can't use the I've just had a baby excuse as she is nearly 5 lol

I wish you all the best with your weight loss journey

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I started slimming world (prescription from docs)5 weeks ago and am struggling...I know what you mean about not wanting to turn 30 overweight-i'm 36 and have been chubby to overweight all my life,am currently about 4-5 stone overweight.
    It's so hard isn't it? We know how to eat healthily to lose the weight but I also think "what?so I'll never be able to eat all my yummy food ever again??!" depressing!
    My kids are 13 and 8 and my 13yr old daughter is following the same path,because i've never been up to running around with her she's now q inactive and is overweight which breaks my heart,i'm determined to break the cycle now...this if anything should give you some incentive to do this for your child as well as yourself.
    Best of luck to you and keep us updated!!

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'M trying celebrity slim from lloyds chemist - shakes bars or souPs twice a day two snacks and an Atkins type dinner. I like the convenience of meal replacement espec when child minding but apparently there was a diet docu on tv recently that slated this diet and said it was bad for your gallbladder. Any thoughts on this!
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to say Good Luck and as Sarah has said don't think of it as a diet, because you lose the weight and then go back to eating "normally"

Some of the things DH and I have done to help us to lose a bit of weight is

We have square plates which are MASSIVE, so we serve up our dinner on the side plates, which is plently big enough... we are having smaller portions and eating until NOT HUNGRY... not until we are "FULL"

Also we have stopped buying treats to nibble on, we used to always have biscuits and chocolates, cakes, crisps for the evening... Now we have Special K mini bite things, cereal bars, snack a jacks, breadsticks... we Have a little bit of chocolate because it is not a diet... just eating in moderation... If you totally deny yourself a treat you will end up binging... I have one or two squares of chocolate most days.

Make little changes to how you eat...if you use semi skimmed milk, change it to skimmed, Don't do too much at once as you won't stick to it... do it slowly, get your eating habits right, then slowly add in a bit of excerise... perhaps go for an hours walk once or twice a week...

Soon enough we will need a new room... Slimmies of the forum

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for their comments. I have been struggling since I last posted but yesterday I had had enough!

I went to my niece's wedding on saturday and had pictures taken as usual. I looked at the one of me and it was a total shock . I never realised how big I was . I know that may sound stupid because I see myself in the mirror every day but I honestly thought I was slimmer than I am.

It really did shock me and I have now printed the photo off and have put it in my kitchen. Today I have eaten well - so far - and have walked 2 miles after dropping my son off at school. I then did 1 hour of ironing and some sit ups!

I honestly can't go on as I have been so today's the day - I hope. I am still allowing myself to eat 'nice' food (I helped make my niece's wedding cake and we have quite a bit of leftover cake to be eaten!!! ) but just in moderation.

Evenings we will just have to wait and see. I will have to find something to keep me occupied otherwise I will reach for the goodie drawer!

Thanks again for everyones thoughts. And good luck to everyone who has said they are working on it too.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinkellifun View Post
    Thanks everyone for their comments. I have been struggling since I last posted but yesterday I had had enough!

I went to my niece's wedding on saturday and had pictures taken as usual. I looked at the one of me and it was a total shock . I never realised how big I was . I know that may sound stupid because I see myself in the mirror every day but I honestly thought I was slimmer than I am.

It really did shock me and I have now printed the photo off and have put it in my kitchen. Today I have eaten well - so far - and have walked 2 miles after dropping my son off at school. I then did 1 hour of ironing and some sit ups!

I honestly can't go on as I have been so today's the day - I hope. I am still allowing myself to eat 'nice' food (I helped make my niece's wedding cake and we have quite a bit of leftover cake to be eaten!!! ) but just in moderation.

Evenings we will just have to wait and see. I will have to find something to keep me occupied otherwise I will reach for the goodie drawer!

Thanks again for everyones thoughts. And good luck to everyone who has said they are working on it too.
    Well done .The trick is definately to decide you are not on a diet, but change a few habbits at a time. I have now lost 11lbs, (had a couple of weeks of staying the same, which is fine) back on track this week thinking about what I'm eating rather than just throwing it in my mouth