Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newly registered needing help/advice

Hi everyone. I became registered in April this year and to be honest after reading this forum I was expecting it to take months, so was aiming to be registered by September. However its all happened quickly and although I am currently working in a pre-school until July this year, I have had an enquiry already. I am ok with all the Learning Journey, obs etc but I am stressing out about the other paperwork. I haven't quite finalised policies etc but can do that, but my big thing is contracts and tax and invoices, those kind of things. I haven't sorted my insurance out yet as I am unsure of who to go too. I know people have different opinions but any advice on either MM or NCMA would be great. Is it best to go with NCMA as do they help childminders more or is MM sufficient for just insurance? Do they both like you to use their own contracts and forms?? I'm a bit stressed now and don't want to look unorganised when my first potential parent visits.
    Sorry for the essay but thank you for any help in advance!

mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

i registered in march & i've taken my public liability insurance with NCMA & done my business car insurance with hastings direct - they were the cheapest i could find. I also bought my contracts from ncma. just have a look round & see whats best for u.

good luck!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine!!

Both MM & NCMA offer similar insurance. The only difference I have noticed personally is when I had a non-paying parent with NCMA I had to keep calling them to send the next letter etc, ended up getting a CCJ, but still no money! With MM, apparantly they pay you what you are owed, and they chase the parents. That's the only reason I'm with them!

Contracts you can either buy from NCMA or MM. (Discounted with NCMA if you are a member.) I would suggest you use one of these, as they cover it all, and have been tested in a court, so you know you are protected. Either are fine for either insurer, as long as you have one!

Policies you will just keep adding too - I know I still do 5 years later! Things happen, situations arise that you hadn't thought of, so you go 'right policy for next time!'

xx

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a non paying parent last year when insured with MM, the outcome was that because the parent who didn't pay the fees didn't own a house or have any assets they wouldn't carry the claim out as they said that chances of claiming any of the money back were slim so they advised me that if I wished to pursue it further to take the parent/debt to small claims court, I have since changed to NCMA because of the service received from MM it was awful!
    Rach x

Apr 12
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to everyone for the advice so far. Think I will have another look through both MM and NCMA and make a decision. They both seem to have pro and cons! Thought I had done the hard bit getting registered but its just the beginning lol. Thanks again!!!

notts Guest

Hiya, I'm the flip side, newly registered in April too, organised as hell, policies/procedures, risk assessments, contracts, permission forms, marketing, financials, blar, blar, blar - can't get an enquiry

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I'm April registered too and new to this site. I have gone with NCMA membership, insurance and contracts as it all seemed quite straightforward. I have a different issue in that I have to finish my CYPOP5 course by the end of this month and I am currently really busy with new mindees and enquiries for Sept. Have another new family visiting in a minute... Must just be down to what is available in your area, I guess, and a big bit of luck!

notts Guest

stop the press, I had an enquiry

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Great! Is it likely to go ahead?