settling 9 months old child in...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default settling 9 months old child in...

Hello
    Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips...

I am settling in a 9months old little girl and she just crys all the time except when she is in the pram for walks ( which i can not always do) and as soon as her mum comes she stops crying when in her arms...

Just wondering if i can do anything to help her feel more settled with me? i also have two 3 year old to and this little girl is taking a lot of my time up also i do not like seeing her cry....

cheers

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's so hard when they are taking a while to settle.

You just have to do everything you can to help her - comfort objects, toys, mum's smell on a shirt, other children to watch playing.

Slowly she will start to look forward to her time with you and things will settle down.

However if you are still in the settling in and you do not feel she is in the right place now is the time to talk to parents.

Hth

feb 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same situation to you. A 9 month old baby girl who has not settled at previous childminder and she starts with me on Tues. When she came for a trail session she just wouldn't let me put her down and was upset on and off throughout, but mum did say when she collected her that that was the most calm she has been when collected from other childminders, so I'm hoping with time she will settle. I think it's hard at that age, bless them! I only have her once a week also, so will take even long to build up that trust and for her to feel safe and secure.

The only suggestions I have which you probably have already thought of are; does she have any favorite songs she likes to here or toys she likes to play with. Get a very detail description of her routine and how mum does it e.g. does she like being held upwards on your shoulder when upset? rocking? bouncing? any special names mum calls her you could use? Have you thought of perhaps offering mum a home visit? Seeing baby in her own environment where she is most happy and comfortable may help you to to understand her more and for her to see you and relate to you in an environment where she is happy may help her! just some ideas, hope you find something that works.
    Let me know how you get on and if you find anything, I may need some advice next week! lol
    Emma x

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a 10month who took 5wks to settle, she was always happy to come and mum to go but within 20min if anyone got up from the floor she would cry no tears but more like having a tantrum banging legs and arms on the floor, she would even do it when i hub would come home say hi then walk past. I found it really hard to start as she did 2pm-6 so doing tea was fun . I spoke to the parents and asked if it's something she does at home and it worked out she was carried about alot so since they have let her play on her own ie watching her she rather then being on there lap is SO much better. It will get better but if you feel it's not working out it's better to say sooner.

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

What about toddler groups for distraction, and as you are her safety net she will begone to trust you more if that makes sense?
    X
    I thought I was organised till I started Minding

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for your advice...

I have had her for more settling in sessions and she is getting better but still does cry, she starts full time next week so i am hoping she will get use to me!

kerry

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to keep doing what you are doing. I have settled in a 9 month old that was only here 2 days a week. He got better and after the 3rd day he was laughing coming into me. I just had a toy ready to play with that I knew he liked when he started to whine. It does get better x I have just settled in a 11 month old and she was fine but now pulls my leg all day wanting lifted....... they are different.
    Hope it gets better for you x