Briefing session
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Briefing session

I have finally found the right people who know about the breifing sessions and I have missed it They did it last week and the next one isnt till the sumer term.

Jodie x

Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there anything else I could be doing till then? Or do I just need to wait till the breifing session? Thankyou

Jodie x

Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been in this position before, I was booked on a briefing session in Feb last year, went and it was cancelled, all I was told was that I had to wait till the next one , told prospective parents it was a no go as the next session was sept 2011.
    I did ask if there was anything I could be doing (qualifications etc) while waiting and she said no, you have to be accepted first

Got myself a job, which I hate and rang them in Aug, they told me it was full , they sent me a letter in Dec saying there was another in Jan 2012 and was I interested, told them yes, went to briefing session, there were 39 people there, since the briefing I have had to do a personal statement, basically to say what qualifications I have in childcare (none) and why I wanted to be a childminder. (12 years experience 1993-2005)

I have found out today that I have been one of the selected few to be accepted for the training .

To cut a long story short, ring your local EY, normally surestart and see if there are any courses starting earlier near you. If there isnt then I am afraid I can not suggest anything else.

Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply I am booked into one for April now so not too long to wait I didnt realise they didnt accept everybody for the course though I dont have any qualifcations!! Just 3 children ranging in ages from 12 to 2.

Jodie x

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, didnt mean for you to panic lol, I think the reason they had to do the personal statement was because they only had say 20-25 places on the training and there was 39 at the briefing session.

I know there was 2 who dropped out because they were going down the nanny side of things so did not need to be registered as childminders.

Dont panic about qualifications, I dont have any and I have no children at home now (well a 21 year old lol) but you have 2 so that will be enough experience , I am not sure what they look for but if there are enough spaces you will get accepted for the training straight away, thats if you want to carry on after the briefing session .

Dont panic, things do sort themselves out. If I was not accepted this time I was given priority for the next training session.

Everywhere works differently, different rules etc.

Look forward to April and enjoy.

Angela

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Angelinthegarden says don't panic - Her area course was oversubscribed and not everyone that goes on the breifing session actually ends up applying. So many people still think that chilminding means gettting money for having a couple of children plonked in front of the telly while you do all the housework and watch jeremy kyle in the other room. Or that they can start to look after children the following week. They do not realise how much work is involved in setting up and running a childminding business and they decide it is not for them.

Breifing sessions in my area tend to be about 15 people so a lot less - of those maybe 8-10 apply for the course.

I had no qualifications or experience other than my own children when I set up. Many childminders start that way and work their way through qualifications - I am now Level 4 qualified

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

you can just do it on your own you know. the early years team don't like it when you do that but if they can't offer the sessions, just apply to ofsted directly
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got