Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GUTTED.....!!!! :(

Hi

I had my medical appointment today and it was a DISASTER

My doctor had put on my medical form that I was drinking over the recommended amount of alcohol a few months ago (which I was and i dicussed it with the doctor and stopped drinking heavily with no help advise, it was not a big issue).

When I arrived at the medical today I had no idea this had even been mentioned or would be an issue and the doctor (who was rude and made me feel very uncomfortable) questioned me about my depression.

He then asked me how much I drank and I mentioned that I was drinking over the rec amount a few months ago but I only drank on special occasions partys ect now, he then said that alcohol was the reason that I was there, I mentioned that I had quiet a lot to drink last weekend but it was a one of due to it being my best friends 2 year anniversary (he commited suicide 2 years ago) and that we had been visiting my mother on the Saturday and Sunday night so had a few drinks then.

He then told me (after asking me units ect) that Ofsted had asked him to give me a blood test to check if I was a regular, heavy drinker!!

I was really upset as im terrified of needles and had no warning of this and obviously the results would show that I had been heavily drinking.

The doctor then said that if the rtesults come back abnormal (which they will) that he cant recommend me!!

Im absolutly gutted, I had my pre-reg last week and she was really impressed i, I want this so badly I just dont know what to do.

To top it all off my husband and I have a bit of a chequered past so the crb's are going to flag up a fewthings (which i have disclosed) so from ofsted's eyes im pretty sure im a huge no

Sorry for the rant I just needed to vent.

Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am sorry it all seems to be going wrong for you at the moment.

All you can do is wait and see what the doc and Ofsted say.

Chin up! x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope everything turns out fine.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, things don't seem to be going your way.

Wait for the results to come back and then deal with that bridge.

MAY 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would just wait and see what happens, you could always ring and speak to ofsted about the crb and the drinking and see what they say xxxxx
    jen xx mum of two and one on the way,
    always on the go!!!!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone I'm feeling a bit more positive about things today if the results are bad then I will appeal.

I no I would make a great Childminder and I'm the last person to cause any harm to children my 2 girls show that. I just hope they give me a chance to proove myself.

From ofsted's point of view I can see that it looks bad but i just need to prove myself. I'm just so down at the thought of loosing my dreams due to 1 weekend of unusual circumstances, the timing couldn't have been any worse

Thanks so much for the support this site is fantastic xx

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're feeling more positive today - take it one step at a time and see what happens, it may not turn out the way you think.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Sending you hugs. I have just had visit from ofsted as i had a do a waiver form due to my hubby's crb coming back with convictions on(nothing child related) it's now going to a panel of three to decide if it will be waived, if they say no then we can appeal. easy said but try not to worry. x

Penny1959 Guest

As others have said - wait and deal with each thing as it comes up.

I know nothing about blood tests for drinking - but I noticed that in your post you mentioned a test for long term drinking - and so I am wondering if anything like the long term blood test I have for my diabetes - as that gives an average reading from over the past few months - in which case the weekend drinking will increase the amount - but it may not impact as much as your fear.

The thing in your favour is that you have been honest - and have told the doctor about the drinking.

It maybe worth considering the long term - because if border line they may retest in a month or two- or if you appeal they may retest - so an opportunity to improve your reading ,if do only have the occassional social drink from now on.

Penny

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Please help View Post
    Hi

I had my medical appointment today and it was a DISASTER

I mentioned that I had quiet a lot to drink last weekend but it was a one of due to it being my best friends 2 year anniversary (he commited suicide 2 years ago) and that we had been visiting my mother on the Saturday and Sunday night so had a few drinks then.

The doctor then said that if the rtesults come back abnormal (which they will) that he cant recommend me!!
    I see you posted this yesterday (Thurs) the day you had the blood test, and you said you had a lot to drink Sat and Sun, so surely you should have nothing to worry about as the alcohol will have gone from your system.

So there should be no need to worry

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone fingers crossed.

Dave it's a blood test that shows heavy regular drinking so a liver function test, so although it will not be in my blood it will show on the test.

Thanks x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

To Zumba-mum
    Good luck with your meeting i hope it works out for you.
    Please let me know how you get on.
    Good luck x

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I will do. I will find out on 16 sep. I start my course on tuesday just hope it all works out. How you doing?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

oh hon, I'm sorry to hear this. hope the appeal goes well especially as you are now back on track.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope it works out for you.

Im good thanks just trying to stay positive and cling on to the bit of hope that it might all be ok haha

I start my course in October decided im still goingt o do it either way (if i can).

The 16th is so far away must be horrible just waiting Thats the thing i hate the most lol.

Thank Juggler its really nice to have support, I have spoken to a few childminders who admit to having a few drinks during the week as well as the weekend so I suddenly dont feel like im being accused of being a raging alcoholic anymore!! I just hope ofsted see it like that.

xxxx

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons Ofsted makes people do the additional assessment is because they are covering themselves as much as anything.

I had to have one because I had mild depression at uni and took medication for it for a month about 5 years ago.

If a problem has been raised about your drinking, even if it was in the past, perhaps if you can show that you are taking steps to deal with it, for example going to counselling or a support group, then Ofsted might go a bit easier on you.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Please help View Post
    Thanks everyone fingers crossed.

Dave it's a blood test that shows heavy regular drinking so a liver function test, so although it will not be in my blood it will show on the test.

Thanks x
    You have to be drinking a HUGE amount over a prolonged period of time for something to show on your liver function. My hubby is a heavy drinker and when he was sent off by work to be checked we assumed the worst, but no problems there!

The function tests with prove what you have been saying, that it was bad but you are dealing with it and things are better.

I really hope it works out for you.

We have similar worries about my hubby, he wants to become a CM in his own right rather than be my assistant but we are worried about what his medical record will show as he is having therapy for depression

Hx

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I became a registered minder whilst I was signed off from my very stressful banking job with depression. I was really honest with my doctor and as I had been seeing her very regularly she had seen me interact with my own 3 children and was able to be really positive on the form - I had no problems at all getting registered and I really thought I may have!
    Good luck

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone

I passed yay
    Im so pleased thank you everyone for the support.

xxx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast