Having doubts about Childminding :(
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Having doubts about Childminding :(

Hi all, the last few weeks I have really started having doubts about Childminding and I am not sure if its for me anymore. I have a 20 month old son who keeps me on my toes and I work part time at the moment so finding it a bit hard trying to get everything ready before Ofsted visit.

Part of me thinks that I should wait till my son is a little bit older before I start Childminding. How many of you have a young child and childmind? and do you feel bad that all your attention isn't on your child?

Just looking for some advice and reassurance really.

Thanks in advance x

apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2yr old and a 5yr old, my mindee is 3months older than my youngest and for the first 2weeks it was tough but now they are best of friends. Like any job it just takes a while to get used to it.
    Think about why you wanted to do it in the first place, where ofsted are concerned the lady who visited me couldnt of been more helpful.
    Hope you find you answers
    x x x

Penny1959 Guest

Hello

Although it was a long time ago (and in my previous registration) my third and forth daughters were born into childminding in that I did not take any maternity leave.

Although hard work at times I found it worked well having other young children of a similar age in the house. And the benefits of spending time with my children and being able to go to friends and and as they got older school events outweighed the disadvantages.

Penny

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

My son was 2.5 and my first mindies were 18 months and 5 months. It was hard work, but it meant I could be at home with my DS. We needed me to work to be able to live. I must admit now 6 years later, I am looking forward to a time when I can leave him home alone and go out to work, so can get our house back, but having no family local its worked for us

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i started when my dd was 2. If you are concerned about time wiht your son, I woudl consider carefully what contracts you want to take on (i.e. you might want to choose part-time and short hours children only) but you will also need to consider the min. number of childrne hours you will need to work to match your current salary (if you need to match your current level of income).

Good luck hon. It's worth a try anyway if you don't like your job and if it's not for you, you can always go back to look for another job outside of CM.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my daughter was six months when I registered and eight months by the time I got first mindees. She hated it at first and was extremely upset that she had to share me with mindees. Of course I felt a bit guilty at first but after a couple of months she got used to it and mindees are now her best friends! Just today we were at the park feeding the ducks and all three were holding hands and tickling each other...

Yes, there are times when I feel that I always put the mindees first and DD is always told to share her toys because our house is very small and there's almost no room upstairs for her toys so she only has one special toy that is just hers.

When I had a hard time with the schoolies and am all stressed out trying to finish 16 things at once, I sometimes feel that I don't give her enough attention / cuddles in the evenings but then we have wonderful days where she does amazing things for the first time and I get to share all these moments - then it's all worth it!

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, the good has always outweighed the bad. I feel like i missed out on so much with my 6yo when she was with (an albeit fabulous) CM

And I can now be there to take her too and from school, organise after school activities and help her with her reading/homework. As well as get to see all the milestones as they occur with my little one rather than hear about them second hand.

It is hard, there are times that I feel my girls miss out, but I am not working weekends or late into the evening any more either so much more quality time

Think about the hours you take on. When DD3 was much smaller (only 2 now) I only worked 4 days so that I could have one day that was just for her (and study when she was asleep) and there were no mindees after school when DD2 came home

HTH

HX

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I started minding when DS1 was 3 yrs and DS2 was 18 months. They are now 5 and a half and nearly 4 so are quite use to me looking after "Littlies".

I find it helps to keep a grasp on what you would be doing if you were not minding. For me there are always bits of this job that do not fit in perfectly with what DS1 and 2 want to do. However, it fits in a lot better than my old teaching career could ever do.

It also provides a valuable second income that means when we do get time off we are able to afford nice holidays and trips to places we would not be able to afford if I was a stay at home mum.

Have you thought about term time only? I only offer term time care and find not charging over the school holidays (and my own teaching background) attract lots of teachers who are looking for term time only care.
    Grindal

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies

I think I am going to continue with my registration and give it a go, at least. Like you have all said, although my son wont have my full attention I will get to spend every day with him. And if I don't enjoy it I can always find another job.

Thank you so much, just the kick up the bum I needed lol x

time_4_change Guest

Default feeling the same

Hi

I am also a childminder in training and also having second thoughts. I work mornings mon to fri and then spend time with my 11 month old during the afternoons. I find it difficult to do my childminding stuff. I think I need to organise my life a little better though . I have decided to carry on though, i need a new career, one that is rewarding. I need to keep earning and best of all I get to spend these early years with my son. Also it would be a shame to give up now after all the hard work I have done so far

Good luck I am sure you will be fine

x