Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow I didn't think you weren't allowed things on your worktops, that's ridiculous and plants, so no herbs?! I'll be leaving everything out to see what the Env Health people are like here! Can't believe how cheeky he was about non-food things either!

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehouse View Post
    Just had mine! He pointed out a few things I need to change, but had no idea they were wrong! lol.

I need to remove my plants out of the kitchen and not have the recycling boxes in there and can't have anything on the surfaces (like tea bag and coffee and sugar jars etc).He also pointed out my extractor fan needing cleaning and said can you see those finger prints on the door of this cupboard (could only see them when you tilted a certain way in the light

So my kitchen is to be cleared of all plants and a bit more cleaning needed up high! oopsey!

He said he can imagine it's hard not to have things out as it is a very small kitchen.

Felt a bit bad having someone come in and poke holes in my kitchen, but hey I guess it has to be done
    you got to hide your kettle ,toaster, microwave, bread bin, coffee maker too. im sorry but i would of shoved his paper work where the sun dont shine and put him out my front door.... end of .... its my house. i dont mind them coming in and saying dont put raw meat over veg in fridge etc. but that is over the top.

i went to our local council for a training course filled out a pack and they went though a few things with us and said they would pick a few of us off to inspect but not to worry as it was just routine some ppl asked if we had to move anything and they said no its your home and treat it that way as long as you use your common sense things will be ok...
    Last edited by babs; 25-02-2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Dust its Fairy Dust

onceinabluemoon Guest

That's absolutely ridiculous!

I would ring his boss and ask for another inspector to do the follow up too, tell them how much it has upset you.

I even had our dogs water bowl in the kitchen when the inspector called (without warning) and he mentioned it but merely said don't feed the dog in the kitchen while you're cooking for the children.

He didn't say anything about the coffee machine, kettle, coffee and sugar, mug tree etc that were on the units either...

APR 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default environmental health visit

Hi

oh dear better move my plants and coffee tea sugar containers the things we do for the roleof minding little ones but that why i do xxx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe some of these things - my surfaces have things on them, it's hard enough to get DH to move his work tools etc and the dogs are fed in the kitchen - after mindees leave. One dog has her crate in there too - nowhere else to put her - kitchen is quite large and it is in a corner

My surfaces are cleaned and fridge is checked etc
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im sorry but he would have to make an appointment if he wanted to come again.

But as Ricky Smiths said phone and kick up stink about his treatment of you.

And i agree that they would have to have a very strong reason to close you down. So my tea and coffee pots are staying put

I have not even registered yet and if this is the way it is going i may not.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they have to make an appointment! they may make one as they realise we may not always be in. My inspection was unannounced and was extremely thorough however she made no mention of things on my worksurface. If she had made reference to the leaves at the front of my house I would have given her a broom to sweep them up

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    Im sorry but he would have to make an appointment if he wanted to come again.

But as Ricky Smiths said phone and kick up stink about his treatment of you.

And i agree that they would have to have a very strong reason to close you down. So my tea and coffee pots are staying put

I have not even registered yet and if this is the way it is going i may not.
    I think you have to now. It became law about 2 years ago because of some European directive.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi

I had them call me and said they don't send them out to childminders anymore?

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[
    QUOTE=rickysmiths;879386]I think you have to now. It became law about 2 years ago because of some European directive.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes i know, i did try to do it through your link but it would not let the email send.

So i guess i will have to phone them up. They better not be as stroppy in Surrey though as they were with Bluehouse
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    [
    Yes i know, i did try to do it through your link but it would not let the email send.

So i guess i will have to phone them up. They better not be as stroppy in Surrey though as they were with Bluehouse [/QUOTE]

Do you mean the like to the Food Standards Agency? That was to get the Folder 'Better Food Better business for Childminders. The register you need to ring your own Local Council and ask to be put through to the Environmental Health Officers. They will probably ask some questions and send you a simple form to fill in.

Someone in Surrey will know better what format any inspections take in your area. They have been very few and far between here, only 4 in 2 years! They were very simple and the inspectors who visited the cms didn't even go into the kitchens of two of them. They asked some questions, gave them the Better Food Folder and ran through some of the things they expected them to do. Apprently they were very nice.

Penny1959 Guest

When my daughter had a EHO visit a bit like the one Bluehouse had - and I had one that was hardly an inspection at all - totally different requirements it would seem - so a bit like ofsted / prospect inspectors with own views - she plucked up courage to complain to EH about her inspection and ask for clarification as to which EHO officer (hers or mine) was right.

Eventually she got a reply and it appears that if you follow safer food better business then EH will be happy (and SFBB - does not mention moving things off work surfaces or most of the other things mentioned by posters that their EHO has insisted on)

So Bluehouse IF these actions have been put in writing - complain - nicely by asking for clarification. If they are not in writing then they are only advice not actions - so you can chose if you want to take the advice or not.

Penny

PS my daughter did have actions and these were removed after her letter of 'clarification'
    Last edited by Penny1959; 27-02-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent my forms to EH months ago and never heard anything back - could this be the case that they maybe arent going to inspect me then or do you think I should be chasing? Dont want to open a can of worms

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1! View Post
    I sent my forms to EH months ago and never heard anything back - could this be the case that they maybe arent going to inspect me then or do you think I should be chasing? Dont want to open a can of worms
    I would have a chat with other childminders in your area as it seems that all areas are different. Here we filled in a form, had a telephone interview and then recieved a letter to say that we had registered with them. See what the childminders in your area say and chase up if you think you need to but I do think you should have something on file to confirm that you are registered with them. If you don't know any childminders that you can speak to then how about having a chat with your Dev worker as they should know.

Cx

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hun, i have registered with 'safer food better business' but they just sent me out a list of questions, which i filled in and sent back, and have not heard anything else from them. I think i will give them a ring next week just to check all is well, thanx for the reminder

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madwoman View Post
    Hi hun, i have registered with 'safer food better business' but they just sent me out a list of questions, which i filled in and sent back, and have not heard anything else from them. I think i will give them a ring next week just to check all is well, thanx for the reminder
    How did you do this love? I was trying to register with them but all I ever get is information packs, copies of diaries etc but not sure how to actually register?

may 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, ive just had my development worker round. She had been a childminder and in her current job for 11 years so i assume she knows what shes on about. She mentioned registering as a food business and then said they may try to arrange to inspect your premises as they are told to visit all new businesses. She then went on to say i should REFUSE them entry as its NOT a legal requirement with childminders and i am such a small businesss, then to phone her to report this!! Aslo companies will try to flog me products i need as legal requirements etc but again they can buzz off!!
    I dont know if this is the same for all areas but im in birmingham area. You should check this out as i will refuse them and you may be able to also....another headache removed!

may 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told by my development worker (today) i am within my rights to refuse him entry and to report to her if they try. Little confused here now!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madwoman View Post
    That is the Folder issued by the Food Standars Agency for us to follow they are not who you register with. You need to ring your local Council and ask to be put through to the local Environmental Health Dept. They will send you a form to fill in and register. They may even give you a copy of the Better Food Safer Business Folder.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by braichey View Post
    I was told by my development worker (today) i am within my rights to refuse him entry and to report to her if they try. Little confused here now!!
    I wouldn't try it.

They are absolutely allowed, by law to enter you 'Food Premesis' if they choose to to inspect. If you are on holiday or it is the weekend when you are not working you could ask them to come if they would kindly come back at another time. But ultimately you can not refuse them the right to inspect.

What most areas do though is book an appointment with cms because they realise that we are not 'open' for business the same way as a restaurant or shop.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 07-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast