Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Outcast

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Outcast

I have been childminding for about 18 months now, I have been very lucky to get busy from day one of getting my registration and my business is doing really well at the minute. The only down side is other childminders in my community. I have children that have come to me from other childminders (because the parent was unhappy where they were) but I have been accused of stealing business, undercutting other childminders, all of which is not true as I charge the same as everyone else.

This all started from the day I started minding, and has left me feeling like an outcast with the whole childminding community. Even though the childminder knows I havent done these things, others still believe I have as no course has been made to clear my name. Most recently I gave a newly registered childminder her first mindees as my friend needed 2 full time places but I had no spaces so gave it to this new cm. My friend knows I have recently had a place come available and as she hasnt been 100% happy with the service from the new cm she wanted them to come to me. Needless to say, I have yet again been accused of stealing business and I have been quite upset about it. What am I to do if parents want their kids to come to me? Am I supposed to turn business away? I spoke to the new cm and told her my friend had approached me, but she has still chosen to fall out with me and accuse me of stealing her business!

I know Ofsted want childminders to group together, but I just want to keep myself to myself now after all this because I just dont need this stress. Im running a business at the end of the day and cant be doing with these playground tactics.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I havent been to my childminding group for the last month because I just cant bare to sit and feel uncomfortable around people that think the worst of me.

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child come to me from another childminder as parent was not happy with the care provided. At a local drop in group i was glared at and there were snide remarks made.
    I informed other childminder that their issues were with the parents and not me, i was offering a service the same as she was and was not happy at being made to feel the scapegoat.
    I would let them get on with it, the are obviously jealous as you mut be offering a better service than them LOL LOL LOL
    Speak to your local co-ordinator if you have one for advice, they may be able to have a quiet word on your behalf.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same position - an outcast in the local CM community - My crime? To be awarded an outstaning grade at my first inspection & be nominated for 2 childcare awards - apparently I make them look bad!

...they have made malicious complaints, openly slag me off to potential clients, & yes some this has put off, but I try & take the high ground - am always polite & friendly & refuse to let them have any power over me ie by avoiding groups etc. I try & take it as a very weird compliment. At the end of the day what am I going to do - do my worst at my job, so that they are happy?????

Chin up - you have us!
    Blaze x

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just come hope from a Toddler group now, and have had the same reception
    dont understand how some 'professional' people can be so childish

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanne jackson View Post
    I have just come hope from a Toddler group now, and have had the same reception
    dont understand how some 'professional' people can be so childish
    It's because of jealousy plain and simple I was awarded Outstanding at my first inspection and I should have been feeling very proud of it. But I've not mentioned it to any other CMs in my group and no-one has asked.
    The only ones that know are my D.W and my lead childminder.
    It's almost as if it's a 'bad' thing to have

But I've plastered it all over my childcare.co.uk advert, so if anyone cared to look they would know. I think that I'm not getting grief as I've not got many mindees as it's very quiet still in my area.

But I know that once I get full then the snide comments will start
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This is awful, im not even registered yet but I though childminders support each other??

Well I say keep your chin up, do the best you can (obviously your good for others to get nasty and turn against you because a parent prefers you) and they will have to lump it. Keep it in your mind that your good at your job, mindees are very happy and content and at the end of the day what is said is just words

Hope things get better for you soon xxx

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ripeberry... CONGRATULATIONS on your grade. Be proud of yourself and let the others get on with their sad lives!

I, sadly, know just what you mean about an outstanding grade being frowned upon by other childminders but you really should be happy . Any decent person would be happy for you but it doesn't always work that way.

sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its all down to jealousy, steer clear of them if they are making you feel uncomfortable, you could go to tots groups instead of the childminder groups, you shouldn't have to, but there are petty people about, I wouldn't want to be around them, like you say its business at the end of the day.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats really sad Its a lonely job this and we need each other for support!

There are lots of childminders round here. We all pass each others numbers on and would help each other out in any way we could. There are a few that choose not to be a part of the wider circle and dont attend the groups etc but they are never felt pushed out. I still pass their numbers on, stop for a chat, etc.

2 of my mindees came from a very good friend of mine. Unfortunately she doesnt run her setting in the same way I do and the parents moved minders but we have all been adult about it and at the end of the day it is the parents choice where to send their children not ours!