Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside napping

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Outside napping

In another thread we ended up chatting about childcare the scandinavian way. In Denmark where I come from, and other parts of Scandinavia I believe, children nap outside in big prams wearing a harness.They are ofcourse wrapped up according to the weather. Just wondering what others think of this. I am considering doing this myself as I am struggling to think of a suitable place in the house (as my husband has decided he wants to be able to smoke in the room I had planned to use as quiet room ). I live in a village with a secure garden with cover in case of pouring rain.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Outside napping

If mine fall asleep in the double I need to leave them outsise the side door as it wont fit in without folding! All parents have been very happy with this -chilldren are secure , warm and watched. I think they really benefit from the fresh air , but I can imagine there are very many parents who would not be happy with the arrangement - especially if it was where they always slept rather than occasionally.

Post Thanks / Like

I would ask the parents and see their reaction to their child sleeping wrapped up outside.

If they were happy, I would get it in writing that they agree to this.

If not happy, then your hubby's going to have to smoke outside

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm I don't think I'd be happy with my lo sleeping outside but that may just be me. Also, I may be wrong, but I thought you weren't able to smoke in the house at all where children were minded? Again I wouldn't be happy with that and yes I am extremely overprotective so feel free to ignore me

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that we had to be a non smoking premises? I could be wrong though but we were all given no smoking signs by our council last year to out up! Not that I have as none of us smoke anyway.

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have put children outside to sleep occassionally when it's warm and parents were happy but i wouldn't do it at this time of year. I think if that's the way you want to run your setting both parents and ofsted will want to see information based on the fact that this practice is good for the children - a bit like you would expect to get from a 'different' type of school. You must be prepared to stick to your guns though as not all parents will like it! It depends what you want your setting to be like.

On the smoking front - will the children use this room at all - if so your other half will not be able to smoke in there. I would suggest to try to gently persuade him to smoke outside as ofsted really don't like it. many parents too (including myself) would be concerned about putting their child in to a setting where they may be in contact with smoke. even if he doesn't smoke in front of them there will still be the lingering smell in the fabric of the house.
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

my mindee falls asleep nearly every morning in double buggy on school run, he is happy as anything and warm as toast as really well wrapped up. he actually love sleeping in buggy as feels all snugged like when breastfed

BUT i wouldn't use this as the only place to sleep. what if you have more than 1child asleep? if you have a tandem front seat doean't really lay flat?

where do the others have quiet time?

as a mum i refused my children to sleep in buggy unless they fell asleep while on outing, school run....

good luck

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be put off if that is all you offer. It was fairly standard over here not that long ago, my mum often put us outside but not sure if it was at -5 like it has been recently! If mine fall asleep I sometimes leavethem out but it depends on the weather, I wouldnt leave them out if it was freezing or very windy. Cant you register a bedroom so they can sleep there?

I would be equally put off by the smoking, I am assuming you are also a smoker if you think the smell wont go through the entire house? It will, so you will probably be limiting yourself to smoking parents.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its fine to let children sleep outside - i have done it with my own. When my 2nd son was born we were living in a caravan as we were self building our house.

One day my HV came for an unannouced visit and when she asked to see the baby i said " i'll just go and get him - he is in the shed!". This was the middle of a very cold winter and i used to wrap him up well and pop him in his buggy in the shed with the moniters on. Gave me the chance to spend time with my oldest boy without contantly telling him to be quiet.

After she regained her composure she was fine with it.

As for the smoking your premises does need to be 100% smoke free. Doesnt matter if they will not go in the room - he must smoke outside - this includes even in the evenings and weekends when you are not minding.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

However i also agree that i think you should offer an inside sleeping option too. I would probably not put kids to sleep outside if the temp was below freezing.

Penny1959 Guest

I would put mindees outside to sleep but not if temp drops below 0. Would have to be proper prams with plenty of space to move (such as mine had 30 years ago!) and as you say strapped in with a harness. Would also have to be where I could see and hear (so on patio under kitchen window).

As my parents already agree to where their child sleeps (in my downstairs environment) then I would ask them to say if ok to sleep their child outside.

I would be interested to know if you plan to adopt scandinavian ideas about outside play - because if so and the children and yourself going to be playing outside most of the time, then I would assume that parents using your childminding service would a) be keen on this type of environment b) be reassured that their baby was being supervised and that you would not leave the baby outside if you decided too cold for yourself or other children to be outside.

As they saying goes ' no such thing as inappropriate (bad) weather just inappropriate (bad) clothing' - so I say if you have right clothing / equipment go for it.

Penny

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had my first child the advice was to sleep them outside – unless it was foggy My childrens old nursery had an outside covered veranda with the express purpose of providing shelter for sleeping babies….then fashions changed/new ideas came along and babies stopped being put outside and instead are roasted in baby sleep rooms in nurseries (kept very warm and dark to enable babies to sleep longer) I’m all for sleeping babies outside, I have a outer hallway where babies can sleep or if parents want their child to sleep in a cot then I use the sittingroom which is heated to 16C, I do have sleep mats too but they are only for use in the playroom. I think it is important to give parents choice

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrap up your partner warmly and stick HIM outside to smoke!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just spoke to Ofsted who said as long as permission forms and RA is in place then no problem. I will register upstairs bedroom, just dont like the idea, prefer to keep lo on ground floor level. And yes i would love for my setting to be as outdoor based as possible and hoping to attract parents with same values.
    Ideally hubby would stop smoking (I have not touched a cigarette in 13 years myself) or smoke outside, but he refuses to do so. I have even suggested he smokes in bathroom, close door and open windows, as smell doesnt stay long in there, but he refuses that as well . Mindees would not be using the room he smokes in, as was the plan before his decision. He has agreed to hang thick curtain around door so minimum smoke escapes into hallway and only smoke when no mindes in the house (he is at work all day). I am still not happy with this, as I agree that it would put me off as a parent knowing that someone smokes in the house.
    It is actually really frustrating that he wont support me in this. Compromise I say.

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    I would put mindees outside to sleep but not if temp drops below 0. Would have to be proper prams with plenty of space to move (such as mine had 30 years ago!) and as you say strapped in with a harness. Would also have to be where I could see and hear (so on patio under kitchen window).
    I used to do it this way for years when I had a proper pram but not since I have only a buggy. The children were always cosy and slept really well.In fact when I trained the children slept outside in big prams on the verandah.......it was actively encouraged

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At our previous house we built an outdoor covered area, with a locking gate. This was in a garden with 2 further locking gates lol. I always put the mindees outside to sleep. They were wrapped up well and very very happy. They slept in front of the patio windows so I watched them the whole time, and it meant I could play easily with the other children whilst the tired ones slept. I did it winter or summer, and even when it was drizzling (had a covered area as I said). I wouldn't of course - and I doubt you (op) would either - ever have left an infant outside in the recent very very low temps we have had this last fortnight, but in general yes I like the idea of children sleeping outdoors in a natural environment, in warmth or chill, with birdsong as the lullaby.

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    I like the idea of children sleeping outdoors in a natural environment, in warmth or chill, with birdsong as the lullaby.
    what a lovely picture

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

What an interesting thread!

I have recently done a bit of research into scandinavian methods and there seems to be lots of good reasons to put babies outside to sleep. Greater resistance to colds, more settled naps, better connection with outdoor environment etc.

I just think that as a parent, unless you have researched it, our culture tells us its not right. I would love to adopt this method myself but would worry what parents thought.

Maybe you could put together an information pack about your outdoor methods for parents to become better informed.

I would be really interested in how you get on

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a covered area and I will leave sleeping children there if we've arrived home & they're asleep in the buggy. I left one yesterday & he slept for almost 2 hours. I checked on him regulalry and he looked very contented. When I went to get him, he was lovely & warm! The shelter is quite enclosed, dry & keeps the wind out, but there's lots of fresh air.

I've also put children out there to sleep in the summer, but wouldn't put them out in the winter (unless, like I said, they'd fallen asleep on the way home)...probably because I leave the kitchen door open & it's too cold to do that all the time!

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trine View Post
    Ideally hubby would stop smoking (I have not touched a cigarette in 13 years myself) or smoke outside, but he refuses to do so. I have even suggested he smokes in bathroom, close door and open windows, as smell doesnt stay long in there, but he refuses that as well . Mindees would not be using the room he smokes in, as was the plan before his decision. He has agreed to hang thick curtain around door so minimum smoke escapes into hallway and only smoke when no mindes in the house (he is at work all day). I am still not happy with this, as I agree that it would put me off as a parent knowing that someone smokes in the house.
    It is actually really frustrating that he wont support me in this. Compromise I say.
    I am afraid that your hubby would have to smoke outside, he is not allowed to smoke on the "premises" where children are present, whether he is in a separate room or not. I know it is his home too, but he really should smoke outside.

If you have disclosed to Ofsted about using the "smoking room" as a quiet room, then they would have factored this in when issuing you with your number ratios. This means that this room should be available for children to use.

Smoke travels and lingers so I really do not think that him using this room, or the bathroom to smoke in is in anyway ideal.

Your husband is the one who needs to compromise. He needs to realise that you will have other peoples children in your care, whom will be providing you with an income. Is it really THAT hard for him to smoke outside??

I know a number of smokers who go outside to smoke, it is a routine that they get in to.

As for sleeping outside, I would not do it, simply because there are a number of animals that I have seen in my garden, Cats, Foxes etc and would not trust leaving the children out there alone. x

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast