Thread: Outside napping

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Outside napping

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I have given up reading everything after page 4 but there is a good debate going on.

I would like to point out that there are opinions for both sides and that most of the no's are childminders/parents either registered this year or in pre-reg. It is easy to say "my children fall asleep and are left in the porch", that is fine when there is one child.

I have been childminding since 1993 and have seen a lot of changes. Safeguarding Children is paramount at the moment and we are all graded and monitored on this severely. My children sleep outside, My garden is secure, the gate is locked and if anyone wanted to break in I would hear them

Don't discount the idea of fresh air for children as it is good for them - look at the research.

As to smoking - it is my understanding that there couldn't be smoking in a home if you were a childminder. This means that if your hubby won't stop then you shouldn't register, harsh but it is the law sorry.
    I spoke with Ofsted this morning and they confirmed that 'what you do in your own house when the children are not around is your choice'. I explained that he would only smoke when no mindees are around, only in the bathroom and ventilate well after. She said that was absolutely fine.
    I know this is still not ideal and that it might put some parents off, but I am allowed to childmind. Just as well, she also told me that my certificate is in the post !

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Outside napping

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoMoon View Post
    I have put children outdoors to sleep in the pram or a big pushchair!

We are a very outdoors/nature-orientated setting and I discuss at length with parents at interview how much time we spend outdoors and ask if they are happy with that - if they were not I would recommend another childminder who stayed in more. Any child in my care who has been put outside for a nap has previously been given permission by parents and I have never ever been refused permission.

Outside of my playroom is a patio with totally glass patio doors all along the wall. I can see the child(ren) all the time, when awake they can see me so do not get distressed at being put away from us.

We live in the country, have lovely fresh air and birds singing all year and the children are well wrapped and they do not get cold. My garden is secure, our chaffinches and blue-tits do not tend to be of the Alfred Hitchcock variety and so far here the foxes have not mauled anybody, possibly they're far too busy trying to work out how to get into the chicken runs...

great to hear about your setting

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567