Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Outside napping

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: Outside napping

Quote Originally Posted by Fabby View Post
    Sorry, still dont agree with this whatsoever. I asked one of my mindee's mum how she would feel about this and you should of seen the look on her face! Spoke a thousand words!!
    yes but WHY? its because we are 'conditioned' in this country to instantly discount and turn our nose up at different and old fashioned practices.

once over babies were bundled up and left outside in their prams - often because there was no extra room in the house. lots of belief in the beneficial properties of bracing fresh air.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daftbat View Post
    Is anyone willing to sleep outside themselves tonight rather than in their nice warm beds?????? If its Ok for the little ones perhaps we should all do it?
    I have slept out in minus type weather and I am off my trolley! lol

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    yes but WHY? its because we are 'conditioned' in this country to instantly discount and turn our nose up at different and old fashioned practices.

once over babies were bundled up and left outside in their prams - often because there was no extra room in the house. lots of belief in the beneficial properties of bracing fresh air.

I just dont agree with it, sorry

Pipsqueak Guest

I just dont agree with it, sorry
    sorry I'm not having a pop at your opinion but I am genuinely interested as to why your parent thought it was such a bad idea.

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Suppose she just didnt want her child in my garden (which is secured) when he could be indoors.

This baffles me and i really dont understand the 'good' behind it. My opinion though.

I asked this parent in a none biased way so she didnt guess what my response to it was and you should of seen the look on her face..... she looked at me as if i had just fallen off my christmas tree!

Pipsqueak Guest

Suppose she just didnt want her child in my garden (which is secured) when he could be indoors.

This baffles me and i really dont understand the 'good' behind it. My opinion though.

I asked this parent in a none biased way so she didnt guess what my response to it was and you should of seen the look on her face..... she looked at me as if i had just fallen off my christmas tree!
    ah you see I when I explain to parents that I allow the little ones to nap outside, I do explain the benefits behind it and that I wrap them up well etc and that I am never far away and probably 'check' them more than I would do (every 15 mins indoors.

Ways and practices have changed over the years and so have ideas.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

i personally would not agree to it. I wouldnt let my puppy sleep outside in the cold and i certainly wouldnt allow my children to!
    fair play to everyone that would but it is NOT for me too many foxes on the prowl in my garden and in any case - that is why God made houses....
    What's for you, wont pass by you

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Like somone else said.... bet we wont catch any of you who agrees on outside napping, going for a nap outside in this weather! bet you wouldnt sleep in a tent in your garden tonight.... correct me if i am wrong

Pipsqueak Guest

Like somone else said.... bet we wont catch any of you who agrees on outside napping, going for a nap outside in this weather! bet you wouldnt sleep in a tent in your garden tonight.... correct me if i am wrong
    Am correcting you - I have slept out in minus weather on several occasions with and without a tent and not just in my garden.
    I have also slept out with my (now 13yr old) baby in cold and horrid weather.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I already did! Dh didnt use a tent, just a sleeping bag.

Aug 08
    Non childminder member
    Childminder!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have put children outdoors to sleep in the pram or a big pushchair!

We are a very outdoors/nature-orientated setting and I discuss at length with parents at interview how much time we spend outdoors and ask if they are happy with that - if they were not I would recommend another childminder who stayed in more. Any child in my care who has been put outside for a nap has previously been given permission by parents and I have never ever been refused permission.

Outside of my playroom is a patio with totally glass patio doors all along the wall. I can see the child(ren) all the time, when awake they can see me so do not get distressed at being put away from us.

We live in the country, have lovely fresh air and birds singing all year and the children are well wrapped and they do not get cold. My garden is secure, our chaffinches and blue-tits do not tend to be of the Alfred Hitchcock variety and so far here the foxes have not mauled anybody, possibly they're far too busy trying to work out how to get into the chicken runs...

.................................................. .........

To the member who posted she would never leave her minded children unattended I would just like to say that going to the loo with a baby perched on your lap, a two year old trying to see your bits and a five year old talking you ears off whilst 'facing the door' is not fun at all after the initial trial - believe me you will leave those children unattended for a minute or two and do a whole host of other things that you presently think you will never do because in the real world there is often very little alternative.

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

It was me and i meant unattended outside alone. I am a mother of 2 and i know how demanding children can be however i will NEVER leave any child outside unwatched. I live in the middle of a town and last year whilst i was very close by a fox snatched my rabbit and dragged her over the 6ft fence, she was a giant rabbit much bigger and heavier than my 9mth old baby is now, you never know what might have happened had a baby been asleep in a pram. .................................................. .........

To the member who posted she would never leave her minded children unattended I would just like to say that going to the loo with a baby perched on your lap, a two year old trying to see your bits and a five year old talking you ears off whilst 'facing the door' is not fun at all after the initial trial - believe me you will leave those children unattended for a minute or two and do a whole host of other things that you presently think you will never do because in the real world there is often very little alternative.[/QUOTE]

Pipsqueak Guest

i understand your concerns and what you are saying but fox attacks on humans are still very uncommon and what you are describing about your rabbit (and I get that that event was and is distressing) was what foxes do. Prey on smaller animals for their food source and in urban environments it is more or less there on a plate for them.

what has made it 'big' news at the moment is the recent attack on those poor twins.

what people also forget though is that so many previously rural animals are having their turf invaded by us - humans - leaving them no where else to go and that is why they are becoming so much more prominent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8726282.stm

I think there needs to be some perspective on this, much the same as the belief that there is a sex offender on every corner.

Aug 08
    Non childminder member
    Childminder!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ***suz*** View Post
    It was me and i meant unattended outside alone. I am a mother of 2 and i know how demanding children can be however i will NEVER leave any child outside unwatched. I live in the middle of a town and last year whilst i was very close by a fox snatched my rabbit and dragged her over the 6ft fence, she was a giant rabbit much bigger and heavier than my 9mth old baby is now, you never know what might have happened had a baby been asleep in a pram.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm very sorry for the loss of your rabbit, that must have been simply awful.

A rabbit is a fox's natural food though, a human baby is not and whilst you may get one rogue fox which makes the news there are millions of normal foxes which do not maul children and hundreds and thousands of small children who play (or indeed sleep) outside every day and do not get attacked by foxes.

Hugs x

edited to add - sorry Pip we seems to have cross posted and said pretty much the same thing. It took me ages to write as I wanted to make sure it was inoffensive but said what I meant...
    Last edited by IndigoMoon; 20-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

i know rabbits are foxes food source but i personally dont feel safe knowing they come into my garden and as i still have rabbits i know foxes are around.

x

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    sorry I'm not having a pop at your opinion but I am genuinely interested as to why your parent thought it was such a bad idea.
    Hi Pip,

I don't normally disagree with you but I am afraid as you can see from my posts I do on this issue. I too consulted some mums at school when this was first raised - some I work for and others I don't. They were all against the idea - they thought it ok in better weather if I was going to be in the garden etc with other children but they said that if I was going to be inside in the warm it didn't seem like "proper" care of their child to leave them outside in the cold regardless of how they were "bundled" up to keep warm. Regulalry in the last week or so a two year old has fallen asleep on the school run and i have brought the buggy in to the house and removed layers/undone clothes etc to keep the temperature suitable for her and I will continue to do the same in the future. Whilst I am sure that it suits some people it doesn't "sit" well with me and from the straw poll I took I would be out of business if I did it anyway.

PS.Well done to you for sleeping outside in cold weather - why no tent? Were you waiting for the next sale to start??? (Have a good Xmas )
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ***suz*** View Post
    It was me and i meant unattended outside alone. I am a mother of 2 and i know how demanding children can be however i will NEVER leave any child outside unwatched. I live in the middle of a town and last year whilst i was very close by a fox snatched my rabbit and dragged her over the 6ft fence, she was a giant rabbit much bigger and heavier than my 9mth old baby is now, you never know what might have happened had a baby been asleep in a pram. .................................................. .........

To the member who posted she would never leave her minded children unattended I would just like to say that going to the loo with a baby perched on your lap, a two year old trying to see your bits and a five year old talking you ears off whilst 'facing the door' is not fun at all after the initial trial - believe me you will leave those children unattended for a minute or two and do a whole host of other things that you presently think you will never do because in the real world there is often very little alternative.
    [/QUOTE]
    I agree suz.

Its about risk assessment and to me the risk of leaving them out side unattended is not one I want to take.

20 years ago my 3 year old was bitten on the face by a ''very friendly family dog who had never shown aggression before''. I never take chances with any animals now.

I have worked with abused children and as far as I am concerned, when it comes to my dds safety I look after her as if there is a sex offender on every corner (because there very often is)

I am 43 and when I was little we would play out by the river for 10 hours without seeing our parents. We would never allow our children to do that now and we do have to take risks in life or we would never leave the house but leaving my dd out side unattended is one risk I dont have to take.

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you jane

i have sight of the local peodofile registar and i know we have an awful lot in our area. not a risk im willing to take either.

gosh when i was about 7+ we used to go out at 8am and not have to come home until the street lights came on. im 29 now i didnt eat all day unless you count the raw potatoes we used to 'cook' in our little fire next to our den. no mobile phones then and no one worried out me lol. i would be so worried about my children now if they played out alone.

i just think different people will have different idea's on risk levels. look at the McCanns, i would have never left my child alone asleep in an apartment but 2 doctors thought it was safe and acceptable and now they will never forgive themselves or Sarah Payne she was in the middle of the country in a nice area with her sibling. you just never know who is watching or planning. Human or animal.
    x

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daftbat View Post
    Hi Pip,

I don't normally disagree with you but I am afraid as you can see from my posts I do on this issue. PS.Well done to you for sleeping outside in cold weather - why no tent? Were you waiting for the next sale to start??? (Have a good Xmas )
    Thats cool Daftbat and, differences make the world go round! and OMG we have disagreed on something!!!! Thats a rareity! lol

I have done various outward bound adventure type stuff - that was with no tent - we had to build our own shelters - god I hated that stuff.
    Also over the years my hubs has 'treated'me to dirty weekends - that is in a tent with an airbed in wet cold muddy fields for various quad meets throughout the year. now we do it in way more style - a caravan - which sometimes you might as well be sleeping outside lol

Merry xmas to you to
    Last edited by Pipsqueak; 21-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have given up reading everything after page 4 but there is a good debate going on.

I would like to point out that there are opinions for both sides and that most of the no's are childminders/parents either registered this year or in pre-reg. It is easy to say "my children fall asleep and are left in the porch", that is fine when there is one child.

I have been childminding since 1993 and have seen a lot of changes. Safeguarding Children is paramount at the moment and we are all graded and monitored on this severely. My children sleep outside, My garden is secure, the gate is locked and if anyone wanted to break in I would hear them

Don't discount the idea of fresh air for children as it is good for them - look at the research.

As to smoking - it is my understanding that there couldn't be smoking in a home if you were a childminder. This means that if your hubby won't stop then you shouldn't register, harsh but it is the law sorry.
    Last edited by Chatterbox Childcare; 21-12-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Debbie

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast