Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Outside napping

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Outside napping

[QUOTE=singingcactus;833184] Are you saying I am old!!!! I'm 38 and I still think it is a good idea even after reading the posts about wild animals, and baby snatchers . I think as long as your premises are secure, and the children are monitored then the benefits of getting this additional fresh air are too good to miss. QUOTE]

If your old at 38 then I'm acient at 42 My own children have slept in the garden many a times when they were little, outside the back door where I can see them.

Like someone else said what you going to do when they fall asleep on the school run, leave them at home! A very good option for those who have assisstants. Yes our homes are warm but some nurseries and schools can have heat that is very stiffeling (sp). At the end of the day it is each to their own and as long as parent's are happy and for those obsessed with RA's one is done, then just let the child sleep. As long as they sleep and are safe, who cares where they go to the land of nod.

Rather they sleep in the garden then have a full scale tantrum at teatime because you wouldn't let them sleep, just because outside was the only option.
    Nicki xxx

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Hi in answer to your question about ages I am 29 and a "I wouldn't put a child outside for a sleep on their own". I think being outside is not necessarily my biggest issue but being alone. I just don't feel like outside is as safe as inside. Maybe I would see it differently if I lived in a house that had a covered area right next to a room I would be using inside in a quiet rural location. I certainly think it is fine for children to fall asleep in the buggy on a school run etc - you would be with them then. Sorry if I have caused offence I really did not mean to. I found it very interesting and had never really thought about it before. I listen to stories of my Mum being put at the bottom of the garden in a pram to sleep (she is 47) and never even thought people still do it in England today to be honest - just never heard anyone saying it other than in a past context.

I also agree with others that as long as you risk assess and speak to the parents to gain their permission I am sure you will make a fab childminder as you are very thorough about your thought processes before making decisions - we can see that from this thread! Good luck and I hope you get set up soon.
    Thankyou Samb. I am very passionate about childcare and only want to do my best.

Post Thanks / Like

My mom used to put me outside in the pram when I was a baby

Now I am showing my age

Never did me any harm........... or did it

Angel xx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely would let children sleep outside and very often do. Although I am not sure I would be happy with it being my only sleeping option. I don't think I am old at 41 but I think my opinion has only changed since I have studied indepth Scandinavian child care practices. They have far superior ways than this country imo.

With regard to the smoking I can't agree on that one I'm afraid. My dh is a smoker but there is absolutely no way I would let him smoke inside our house and put mine and our childrens health at risk. I personally can't stand the smell of smoke and hate when I go into a smokers houes.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    My mom used to put me outside in the pram when I was a baby

Now I am showing my age

Never did me any harm........... or did it

Angel xx
    No comment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    No comment
    Hey

It is the season of good will you know

Angel xx

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

We have an outdoor nursery near to us, and the children are outside all day every day in all weather. They set up hammocks between trees etc for nap times. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I would have loved an environment like that for my own children, we try to spend as much time as possible outside and if we're out and the los need to sllep, then they do so outside. I don't do it at home, but thats cos I like being cosy in my home

Her's a link if anyone is interested.
    http://woodlandoutdoorkindergartens.co.uk/default.aspx
    Last edited by Alibali; 17-12-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Ali xx

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alibali View Post
    We have an outdoor nursery near to us, and the children are outside all day every day in all weather. They set up hammocks between trees etc for nap times. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I would have loved an environment like that for my own children, we try to spend as much time as possible outside and if we're out and the los need to sllep, then they do so outside. I don't do it at home, but thats cos I like being cosy in my home

Looks great, just up my street. Thanks for the link.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are outside in most weathers - not at the moment though

Fresh clean air is good for them
    Debbie

Kimmy050983 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alibali View Post

that is brillant. think i need to move. that is exactly what i would love for jamie´s kindergarten....
    we´re outside every day, in any weather. I am very into waldorf / steiner philosophy especially leaving children to be children. don´t think it has done us harm playing out every day. or not having all those plastic toys...
    my boy has slept outside (we have got a big german pram with carrycot) many times-- not all the time but when he did i would either do gardenwork or be in the room next to the patio door so i could see/hear him..
    i am not used to kids being wrapped in cotton wool. i am from germany though..

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

why am i harsh, am i not entitled to my opinion????

i just stated what i think as a mother. i have 2 young boys of my own and i wouldnt leave them alone to sleep outside, i dont feel it is safe. its not an issue about the weather for me its about saftey.

i also work in the criminal justice system and have seen to many awful awful things that happen to children and would never risk my precious children.

yes i leave my children upstairs asleep with monitors on, in a locked house whilst im in the next room. Not outside alone. when my youngest falls asleep on the school run i bring him in and leave the pram in the porch with him asleep.

i am 29

Trine, i am sorry if i upset you but i was only stating my opinion. After all you posted here asking what people thought.

I removed my eldest from a childminder as he came home everyday smelling of smoke and she said she didnt smoke!!!!!!!!. its not just the smell, its dangerous for children to be around smokers, my baby has bronchitis at the moment and the community nurse has quized me today about any smokers in the house. No one here smokes though.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you had suggested to me putting my eldest dd outside to sleep when she was a baby then I would have been horrified however 11 years later I am more open to these ideals. Obivoulsy not in the freezing conditions but yes I think I would.

Trine I hope you get parents who are as embracing of your ideals as you are.

Ps my dh used to smoke however it was never an option for him to smoke in the house and he did eventually give up got fed up of smoking in the cold
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have left my children outside to sleep all snug and there was snow on the ground. He had the rain cover over him so his own micro climate. I can't leave them out here as our house leads onto the path and by the time I have clonked them through the inside to put them out they will have prob woke up. As for smoking, I hope he gives up.

I am ancient 36

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely no way would i leave a child outside asleep. I would never ever be able to forgive myself if ANYTHING happened to them when they could be sleeping inside my locked and secure house.

How would you feel if something happened to one of those children whilst in your care, when it could of been avoided by sleeping inside a locked house?

The thread as gone a bit of topic here by saying about ''watching over the children whilst sleeping'' i am sure none of us stand over them and watch them but i am sure we all ''check on them'' regulary in our locked and secure house.

Of course they need fresh air but there are other ways of providing this in my opinion.

I am not sure why some posts have mentioned that us who dont agree with this, would we be leaving the children at home whilst we do the school run.......... very off topic....... of course not!

I would never dream of keeping children outside to sleep.

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Just thought, we are not allowed to leave a child in a car unattended so how come leaving a child outside unattended is allowed?

And

Is it a legal requirement to have our doors locked?
    My Do is alwys asking if i lock my doors

Also

Doesn't rooms that are being used for the children have to be at a certain temperature??? So outdoors can either obviously be too cold or too hot...

Sorry, i am just finding it very hard to understand
    Last edited by Fabby; 17-12-2010 at 10:15 PM.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually put my lo's to sleep in travel cot in the playroom or pram which i put into my room.

Today my boys were off school because of snow and i had a almost 2yo needing a sleep and a 3yo who wanted to be in the playroom.

My son was watching tv in my room so after having read this thread over the past couple of days i put lo into snowsuit, hat and blankets and put her to sleep in my pram in the conservatory which is not heated and is pretty cold - she slept perfectly for an hour and half and would def do it again.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fabby View Post
    Just thought, we are not allowed to leave a child in a car unattended so how come leaving a child outside unattended is allowed?

And

I think the difference is probably that if you leave a child unattended in a car it is usually to go into school or go into a shop or petrol station etc, when you atually go away from the car and could not see or hear them.

If children are sleeping outside they are probably closer than if they are in an upstairs room! No one is saying children should be out in the garden with the doors shut & no one taking any notice of them. When I leave children outside they are under a shelter, in a locked garden (through 2 locked gates) and just outside the kitchen window. The backdoor is open & I can see and hear them at all times.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a secure garden i do not think there is much difference between putting a child to sleep next to the house outside or in a bedroom.

I cant see much difference between a child being behind a closed door in a bedroom and being just outside my back door. With reference to my earlier post about the HV coming to visit while my son was sleeping in his pram in the shed next to the caravan she said that she did'nt consider it to be any different from a child being in an bedroom in the house.

All you have to do is pop outside to check or pop upstairs or pop to the next room to check.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fabby View Post

And

Also

Doesn't rooms that are being used for the children have to be at a certain temperature??? So outdoors can either obviously be too cold or too hot...

Sorry, i am just finding it very hard to understand
    And my front door is always locked, but not the back door as I am always in the room. If I leave the room I lock the door.
    Are you saying we shouldn't leave a backdoor open during the summer and should always have it locked?

Aug 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Ihave read this thread with interest and i personally would not leave a child to sleep outside and that is why I have my upstairs registered to sleep children. The various buggies i have all fit through my front door apart from my triple, but if a child fell aslepp whilst I was using that then i would probably stay out a bit longer so they had a sleep or try and get them out of the buggy without to much disturbance which I have managed plenty of times

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast