I missed THE call! Inspection tips please!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I missed THE call! Inspection tips please!

When i came out of work on fri i had missed calls and voicemails from a lady calling to arrange my pre reg inspectrion visit! I called her back and she was busy so just waiting for her to call me back again! Ive noticed on here that when they call they are arranging the visits pretty much staright away so really stressing now that im not ready!!!!!!
    Its mainly the paperwork i need help with... what should i have ready to show her??? ive done my 43 questions booklet and some policies but how many policies should i have for her to see? ive done research on whats in my area, toy library, drop ins etc, risk assesment on my home? im in the middle of doing my ICP portfolio, would she be interested in that or not? my minds gone blank!!! any tips would help as i dont want her to call back on monday and not feel ready!!

Also i have my chemicals/medicines in a big locked cupboard in the kitchen and bathroom but should ALL my kitchen cupboards have child proof locks on?( I have a baby gate on the kitchen door and all the plug covers).

Does my fire blanket have to be 'displayed' or just somewhere easily accesable in an emergency, do i need a fire extinguisher??

sorry for all the Q's but any help would be REALLY appreciated!! thanks! x
    Last edited by Libby08; 23-10-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: adding to title for more help!

June 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I missed THE call!

When i had my pre reg she just asked me questions from the booklet- she did not mind me looking at answers I had wrote to jog my memory. I had only just started writing a few policies she had a quick look and said made good start. She looked around house in rooms would be using. Never needed my fire blanket up (did not have one then)

Did make sure house was safe but she was very helpful and will advise you on this visit so please dont worry- I worried sick and was not worth it!! x

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I missed THE call! Inspection tips please!

Hia love, will send you an inbox message as id drafted out some info of what happened at my visit yesterday. One thing I would say tho is Mrs P never asked to see any of my policies although I told her I had done them all, she wasnt particularly interested in things like my fire blanket etc (all things I was very proud of I might add!!)

There are two main things that they seem to be very impressed by and highly recommend and these are:-

1. Environmental Health
    2. Fire Authority

You have to be registered with the environmental health if you intend to provide meals (according to Mrs P) so she said I should have contacted them. This I did after she left and they are sending me a registration form to complete and send back.

She also said that it is very good practice (and deemed very good by OFSTED) that you have arranged for your local fire authority to check over your house and make sure you have correct smoke alarms etc. I have now called them and ours come out within 2 weeks - hope these couple of things help and hope the inbox message will help too. xxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the 2 tips on the forum on contacting Environmental health and the fire authority, will book that now. am due my pre reg visit very soon so was wondering if there are other things you could advise on? also what kind of questions did she ask regarding safeguarding and child development, did you struggle with anything? thanks for any help.

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

hiya.

re: the environmental health thing every area is different, im in Oldham (lancs) and we dont have to reg with EH or inform anyone, our EH are happy that the local council has all our info.

I just waiting for my Mrs O/P call to arrange my visit. think im all ready now just need to finish filling in my booklet of q's

good luck xx

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

So, my visit is booked for thursday 4th Nov. She was really nice on the phone and said not to worry and it will be quite relaxed. She said that she wanted to see some policies and procedures, a risk assessment on my home and what I will show new parents when they come to visit. She also said to download a copy of the questions of the website and jot down a few points on some as it may help but not to worry about it too much as she wont take it and read it or anything---Arghhh I spent AGES filling out those questions as my friends inspector took it, read through it and asked loads of questions from it! Sounds like they are all different and want to see completely different things! Off to research risk assessments now as didnt really go through them much on my course but they seem simple enough!!??

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be fine - the inspector is there to answer your questions too, she won't expect you to have everything in place.

She sounds OK and has told you what she wants.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!