Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: first mindee?

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question first mindee?

I became a registered childminder on 2 August and as yet no mindees despite advertising. I know it's early days yet. I am really curious to find out how long it took other people to get their first mindee after being registered.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: first mindee?

Hi,
    I was registered beggining of July and I have had not one enquiry,even though I have advertised every where, I have spoken to the Ncma about this and they say it is a phase that childminding seems to be going through at the moment, oh good! lol!

Good luck I hope you get something soon
    Sam xxx

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sam. At least it's giving me time to tweak my policies and procedures and all the other paperwork. My house and garden have never looked so tidy as I wait for that phonecall from my first parent

Let's hope this childminding phase ends soon:

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck I've been waiting since January !!!! Have you joined childcare.co.uk, put an ad on yell.com and freeindex, ***** etc?

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was registered in Dec08 and it took until March 09 before I had a part timer and Dec09 before I was full. I am now back down to 2 part timers and have spaces, it really is swings and roundabouts as children leave, more just seem to turn up eventually.
    Paula

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Make yourself known to other childminders in your area. I have found they have been great at passing on my number to people when they have had an enquiry that they just couldn't do. In return I will of course pass queries their way if I don't have the space.
    I've heard it can take a while to get established, but once people know your name I'm sure you'll start to get some recommendations. Try the local school when they open after the summer hols, it's amazing how many parents find out they themselves have just got on a college course etc & need after school care asap. Good luck.

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carpet Monkeys. I have an advert on ***** and childcare.uk. I had one response from netmum for two boys every other Friday. I thought, great, that's a start. But she hasn't got back to me since I told her I've got a dog. Oh well, the wait goes on. I will definitely put an advert of yell.com and freeindex.
    eviesnanny x

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I was registered in June this year and then decided to wait until the 1st July to start my insurance and therefore would be able to take children on after that. I had my first mindee two weeks ago and this was an acquaintence from my toddler group. I have had two other enquiries but not suitable situations, both from the government website and one more, again through my toddler group. Its gradually happening but very slowly unfortnately. Its just a waiting game and then once your name is known, according to childminder friends of mine, you get more business generally. xx

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem. I was registered in March 10 and didn't have any enquiries until, hmmmm I think it was late July or Early August and that 1 fell through

I've got mindees starting next week (phew, finally) but was getting the same response about it just being quier at the moment.

Some really good advice already and I would echo what the others have said about getting to know other childminders, one of the local childminders (on here as ParsleyPetal) has passed me a few enquiries already.

If you are already on Childcare.co.uk, have a look at your "local parents seeking childcare", even if thier post isn't in the last few days and send them a little message asking if they are still looking for childcare and advising you have vacancies etc. I got my mindees as childcare.co.uk advised me that Mum had looked at my profile. She hadn't sent me a message so I sent her one to say Hi and got her 4 schoolies

An idea I had (but didn't end up following through on) was to google for email addresses for local large businesses/business parks/local colleges/unis and send loads of E flyers out, hopefully someone would circulate the emails within thier company and a prospective parent would see it.

Hang on in there, I know it's easy for me to say this now but it will happen.

Of course if you had have asked me last week I probably would have snarled at you lol.

Good luck.

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I was registered on 4th July and after really starting to lose all hope had my first parents come round on Wednesday. Heard from them last night and they've decided they want me. Only 16 hours a week but hey it's a start.
    Anyway chin up, you'll get there in the end.

Lu

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Things may be on the up - I've had 2 enquiries in the last 2 days one from ***** and the other via my Network co-ordinator!

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you Carpet Monkeys!

Now where do I get myself one of them there Network Co-ordinators ?
    eviesnanny x

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eviesnanny View Post
    Well done you Carpet Monkeys!

Now where do I get myself one of them there Network Co-ordinators ?
    Oh I don't know, mine came free along with Unit 1 of the DHC, she works for NCMA, do you have a support childminder who you could contact perhaps!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have registered twice, once with OFSTED & then CSSIW. Both times I got a mindee a couple of days before certificate came ready to start when it was through. This time however it was only 5 hours each week & I didn't get another mindee for 6 months - just as the 1st one left . I have spent nearly 2 years giving 1 to 1 care for most of it and hopefully now I am full (will know next Friday ).

It varies on how quickly you fill up - minders 5 miles away in my group were full within a couple months of registering . Although I was experienced a lot of work is word of mouth and the other minders near me were known more than I was so they got the enquiries.