Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy The Dream is OVER

I have attended the two briefing sessions and I have everything in place, already got my 1st aid certificate and a place for the ICP next month, the childminder supoport worker from my borough is very happy with the way I set up my place but..... my Landlord did not give permission for me to operate a business from his property
    I did not know it is against the lease so I asked him and he said NO. but it is on the contract that operating any kind of business is proihbited.
    Should I write him a letter begging him to let me to?
    What would ne the implications of childminding whitout his permission? Will I have trouble with Ofsted or Insurance?
    I know that now I have to move (I want to do so regardeless) but I just don't have enough money now for deposit, first rent, hire a van and help and blablabla....
    I was hoping to make some money with my business first...

Should I go on and do the ICP anyway and try to find a nanny job?

Registered Childminder since
    sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Dream is OVER

oh im sorry to hear that, i wouldnt give up just yet though as it can take months to get yourself registered anyway! deffo do your courses and get registered (if you can - someone else will be able to advice on the practicalities) and try to get your deposits together for a move

good luck x
    What's for you, wont pass by you

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

dont stop at the first hurdle...do your course hun.... in the mean time keep an eye out for elsewhere to live

xx
    Jennie x x

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Did he say why he doesn't allow it? Perhaps he is picturing a whole flock of children tearing the house down. If he is someone you feel you can communicate with perhaps you could have a chat with him and explain more about how you will run the business - and that you will make sure the house is still in good condition etc? Perhaps only take on a couple of mindees if he is ok with that. I would not give up, carry on with your courses and keep your eye out for another place. Perhaps do some nannying as you say to build up the deposit. My landlord is luckily the nicest man in the world, he is actively encouraging me and gave me another tenant's number who just got registered.

Good luck!
    xxx

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was you I would get registered anyway, it can take months to do and theres nothing saying you have to start straight away. Once your registered you have 3 years before ofsted will cancel your registration. Ive been registered for 15 months and still haven't started yet. Don't get disheartened, just have a plan of what your going to do. Get registered, move house then start minding. Im actually quite glad that ive had time between being registered and starting as its given me the chance to write my policies properly and do all my paperwork so its the way that i want it and not some rush job. Just because you can't mind in your current house doesn't mean you can't ever do it. Youve got your first aid and ICP course booked, your not losing anything by continuing with them and getting registered.

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have direct acess to my Landlord, I know his name but I always have to deal with the agency and they foward my queries to him and his replies back. It is weird but even his address is not on the contract.
    My father in law is a painter and decorater and my husband used to be on this trade aswell so that is why I am thinking of plead with the landlord as I can assure him that the place will be in perfect condition when it is time to hand the keys back..
    would be nice to hear from someone who has been in this situation
    Last edited by luiza.t; 10-08-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

and I don't understand how I can get registered anyway ...What Am I going to tell Ofsted when they come to the registration visit????
    Last edited by luiza.t; 10-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.

aly Guest

i would ring them and tell your position and see what they say..just say you are thinking of moving before your registeration comes through.

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I would get them to inspect it as normal then inform them when you have moved house, they may or may not come and inspect your new house. Even though you can't mind in your current house, you can still get registered while your in it.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Your landlords problem is possibly with his insurance, when I registered I had to change as my buildings insurance would give me no accidental damage cover at all. Dh could drill through a water pipe and we would have to cover the cost ourselves. I think (you need to check this) that Churchill and Direct Line give accidental damage for childminding, maybe if you looked into it and mentioned it when you write to him it would make a difference.

Registration visit is mostly about checking you out and seeing that you know what you are doing. It can take ages and ages for crbs and social services checks to come through so I would carry on and speak to Ofsted before they come out to see what their position is. You can move once you are registered so maybe they would register you in your current home even though you cant actually operate from there.

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about offering an extra deposit if they are worried about house damage? I wouldnt give up, but with some mortgages you are not allowed to operate a buiness from the house (this is what ive heard). I rent myself and the only way to get things done is to keep phoning the agent, ask them why the landlord has refused and go from there.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luiza.t View Post
    and I don't understand how I can get registered anyway ...What Am I going to tell Ofsted when they come to the registration visit????
    You are right it would be a big mistake to lie to Ofsted... and to waste their time.

I suggest you put it all on hold and sort things out with your landlord first.

Good luck!

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    You are right it would be a big mistake to lie to Ofsted... and to waste their time.

I suggest you put it all on hold and sort things out with your landlord first.

Good luck!
    if the op does her course how long will she have before she would have to do it all again if she doesnt go ahead and register...am thinking perhaps she could do her course then keep the rest on hold until she has either permission or found somewhere else

xx
    Jennie x x

Kimmy050983 Guest

I didnt have my prereg for 6 months until after i finished the course. That is the cut off I was told.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy050983 View Post
    I didnt have my prereg for 6 months until after i finished the course. That is the cut off I was told.
    It depends where you live.

Legally you are absolutely right.

In Cheshire you have to finish your 12 week course before they even give you your registration forms.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mookins View Post
    if the op does her course how long will she have before she would have to do it all again if she doesnt go ahead and register...am thinking perhaps she could do her course then keep the rest on hold until she has either permission or found somewhere else

xx
    I would be concerned about doing it this way as well.

In some authorities if you take the course and then do not go on to register, you have to pay back the training money.

At the end of the day if you take the course and do not have permission to mind, you are taking up a space that someone with permission might have used.

I think if the op wants to go this route she needs to find out exactly what her liability would be if she could not get her landlord's permission to continue with her registration.

Hth

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be concerned about doing it this way as well.

In some authorities if you take the course and then do not go on to register, you have to pay back the training money.

At the end of the day if you take the course and do not have permission to mind, you are taking up a space that someone with permission might have used.

I think if the op wants to go this route she needs to find out exactly what her liability would be if she could not get her landlord's permission to continue with her registration.

Hth
    i see...thats a shame....hope she can sort something then

xx
    Jennie x x

Kimmy050983 Guest

It depends where you live.

Legally you are absolutely right.

In Cheshire you have to finish your 12 week course before they even give you your registration forms.
    I live in Cheshire (near Chester)

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Not read the whole thread so sorry if I repeat.

I'm lucky that, although it says on my contract no business to be run from premises, my landlord wrote me a letter allowing me to childmind from here.

Do Ofsted need to know you are renting? They never asked me and it never came up at pre reg visit.

I think that if you were to mind without permission tho it may affect the landlords insurance ( not 100% sure bout this)

Maybe if you could write landlord a letter exactly how it would work what rooms it would involve and that the house would be looked after.

Don't give up x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggoblin View Post
    Your landlords problem is possibly with his insurance, when I registered I had to change as my buildings insurance would give me no accidental damage cover at all. Dh could drill through a water pipe and we would have to cover the cost ourselves. I think (you need to check this) that Churchill and Direct Line give accidental damage for childminding, maybe if you looked into it and mentioned it when you write to him it would make a difference.

Registration visit is mostly about checking you out and seeing that you know what you are doing. It can take ages and ages for crbs and social services checks to come through so I would carry on and speak to Ofsted before they come out to see what their position is. You can move once you are registered so maybe they would register you in your current home even though you cant actually operate from there.
    I have been with Churchill for years and they do not give cover for accidental damage caused by the Mindees only you or your own family or friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast