Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pre Visit

Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre Visit

Hi All, I'm new to threading, so hope this works!

I have my pre reg visit next Tues. Am starting to feel really nervous about it all, has anyone got tips about what they will ask me, what I need to show them??

I did my course well over a year ago so am slightly out of touch about what we covered. Arrrgghhhh!!!

Also, how do I get the lovely fireman to come over and look at my......house for fire safety?

Sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pre Visit

Hi there!

Don't panic about your pre-reg visit, they are there to advice you (my lady was lovely!). They will ask you about the EYFS welfare requirements and how you are going to make these happen (ie safeguarding, suitable person, suitable premises & equipment, standards and documentation).

I would also have the house as ready as possible for childminding... if not, perhaps make a 'wish-list' for things you still need to get, so they see you are planning ahead and aware of what you need to get still..

You should read the EYFS pack once more to revise
    And you'll be totally fine!

.. oh and the lovely firemen (I had 3 visiting yayyyyyyy!), I just called my local firebrigade and they arranged a visit within a week or so.

Good luck xx
    Saija
    Happy days

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

my lady was also lovely...have you got abooklet that has lots of questions in from Ofsted?

they will ask you questions from this...its easier to go through and asnwer the questions then refer back to it when they are there...they let you do that

they will want to see what policies you have...not neccisarily (sp) read them but see what you already have in place....ask lots of questions that way you know from them
    i asked about height of fence near a pond so i knew id get the right size, she said they dont have a "size" to give as its all about how long you would be leaving them to climb it!!!!

so helpful and of cousre saija here was also a greathelp to me...keeping me calm bless her (gonna bottle her up and keep for when i next need her lol)

xx x x
    Jennie x x

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my visit yesterday and the main points she spoke to me about was what I knew about safeguarding, complaints, what do I need to notify Ofsted about - significant events, the risks in my house and how I am dealing with then and then just general examples of the types of activities i will be doing for the EYFS.

Don't panic, they are not as bad as they seem, however I have been told to watch out for environmental health lol!

Good luck xxxx

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Am feeling slightly better about it and have gone through the booklet.

Unfortunately, my assigned ofsted lady seemed very offisious and scary, fingers crossed she was just having an off day!!

I'll let you know what happens!

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pre Visit - 2 quick questions...

Me again, still getting things together for Wednesdays visit. Just a couple of questions which I really hope someone can help me with...

1. Where would I get a template for the accident forms - would I get that through my membership to NCMA / MM?

2. How do I register with the food standards / is it a quick process?

Hope someone out there can help, this website is amazing!

Annabelle

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pre Visit - 2 quick questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
    Me again, still getting things together for Wednesdays visit. Just a couple of questions which I really hope someone can help me with...

1. Where would I get a template for the accident forms - would I get that through my membership to NCMA / MM? these will be with the incident accident forms you order when youre registerd
    2. How do I register with the food standards / is it a quick process? not sure on this one...didnt relaise you had to thought it was just enviro health in whcih case you send off a form filled in and its done x
    Hope someone out there can help, this website is amazing!

Annabelle
    hope this helps

xx x
    Jennie x x

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jennie, I knew someone would know!

I had the visit today, phew, was really nervous, bit of an icy start but ended up good.

Tips for anyone with one coming up;

Have a REALLY thorough risk assessment.

Have fire alarms insitu, I have 2 but they are not fixed to the ceiling, I actually managed to break one while she was there - typical! Have an evacuation route.

Be able to link learning groups to the framework.

Have complaints and safeguarding policy - they are the only 2 policies that Ofsted legally require apparently!

It was good to go through it all with her and know I am on the right track, so i am now suitable with actions (to sort out fire alarms!) HORAAAAYYYY!!!