Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Concerned about costs?

Hi ladies

I was looking through a book today about how to start childminding etc as a business and saw the lists of everything you need. For example - stuff like the compulsory paediatric first aid training, the introductory to home based childcare unit 1 - then possible the rest of the diploma, food hygiene, and this early years thingy, plus obviously ncma membership, insurance, registration fees etc. Then obviously equipment ( although I have a 16mth old already myself - so I have a lot of basic stuff already - but obviously not all.

My question is, how much do a lot of these things cost? And how has soo many people paid for it all - have you been in jobs before hand or saved up?

Sorry if I'm going on and on - just a bit concerned I'm not gonna be able to afford all the training etc to get business off the ground!

Thanks guys

Chelle

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Concerned about costs?

alot of it is funded by your local authority

I knwo alot has changed since i did it but you normally have to pay an administration fee can be as much as £30.00 for some courses

Once you have started the process to become a childminder you will be given more details on where to gain course information for your area and how to go about booking

First Aid is around £170 BUT providing Ofsted have agreed to let you become registered it will oinly cost you £30

Remember to keep reciepts for courses and equipment to claim it all back as you start earning

Euipment ... write a list of things you will need so you can show them to the pre-reg inspector, dont go out buying everything straight away as you may find you will not use it all .... I bought a travel cot and have never used it, its 5 years old now so got rid of it, nothing wrong with it really but smelled like it had been stored too long lol
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

oh and NCMA membership is free for the first year or atleast used to be

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

i live in wales. i was lucky in my county to get on the last DCPcourse that was funded - my friend has just had to pay for hers
    we get free first aid course, free years membership and insurnace from NCMA, free CRB check.
    i already have pretty much all the equipment i need as i have a 3 yr boy and a 18 month girl.
    council wanted to get me to pay £165 for a certificate to say planning permission wasnt needed but after writing to MP i got a letter saying the certificate wasnt necessary, no permission is needed for childminders and its their dicrestion to get a cert
    once registered and earning money i'm going to do food hygiene.

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

it really depends so much on the area you live i'd talk to the early years dept at your local council their is no funding in my area but they do pay for your first aid certificate then your on your own !!!
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We must be lucky in my area, cos a lot of courses are free. When I first registered, I got the free courses that are required and a years free membership with either NCMA or Michel Morton along with their complete toolboxes for the paperwork

Just redone my 1st aid and it was free and booked onto both EYFS and child protection courses in the next couple of months at no cost.

Other stuff ie resources, you just get as and when. Although I had a 2 year old who is now 7, so kept lots of his bits to use as he has outgrown

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huggableshelly View Post
    oh and NCMA membership is free for the first year or atleast used to be
    It's not any more - I've had to pay for mine
    Francine X

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by francinejayne View Post
    It's not any more - I've had to pay for mine
    eww they have become tight with what they give away ....

that reminds me i need to renw mine before my hols as it runs out whilst i am away yay less spending money to take with me

MAY 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

relax and take a breath, you dont need everything straight away, one step at a time, the development worker can help you gain funding and toys are not needed to start off with, just the basics, my first aid cost me £60 but i could of had it free if i had choosen a place who the council recommended, the icp is free i think and i got funding for the diploma in home based childcare. Just ask for funding from the do and what is avaiable out there to help you, insurance can be cheaper with mm who is around £40 per year..

Hope this helps, although the posts above also do too....

Good luck xxx
    jen xx mum of two and one on the way,
    always on the go!!!!!

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Once again it depends on where you live. I have never had to pay for any courses, they are all free even first aid. Some areas give start up grants to buy new equipment for childminders too. All I have ever had to pay is for my insurance.It does seem unfair that some have to pay and others do not, but look into it as you may be lucky too. good luck.x
    Julie X X

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ladies

Thanks for the info, I will ask all the questions when I go on the briefing sessions next month.
    xx