Thinking of becoming a childminder, but have loads of questions
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of becoming a childminder, but have loads of questions

I hope I am posting this in the right place, apologies if not.

I am seriously thinking of becoming a childminder, but I am not sure where I start and have loads of questions whizzing around my head.

I hope it is ok if I list a few questions to see if you people in the know can help me

1) I have 3 children aged 12, 10 and 7 so how many children would i be likely to be registered to have ?

2) I have heard that registering can take a long time. How long after starting the process, does my home have to be fit for inspection ? (like most peoples homes, mine has stuff that needs doing).

3) If I started the process now, is it likely that I could be registered by Sept ?

4) How exactly do I get started ? I can't seem to find out where pre registration courses are held. I am in birmingham

I am a single mum and slightly worried that I could end up registered, with no mindees and no money and will have come off benefits. I'd be interested to hear from any other single parent childminders to see how you cope with that possibility.

Thanks for reading

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thinking of becoming a childminder, but have loads of questions

Hi Emma, you've def come to the right place. I can answer some of your Q's and hopefully someone else can help out with the rest!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC78 View Post

I am seriously thinking of becoming a childminder, but I am not sure where I start and have loads of questions whizzing around my head.

I hope it is ok if I list a few questions to see if you people in the know can help me

1) I have 3 children aged 12, 10 and 7 so how many children would i be likely to be registered to have ?You are usually reg for a total of 6 under 8's with no more than 3 under 5's and only 1 under 1. Your youngest would be included in this so probably you will be allowed 5 under 8 in total. This isn't always def and will depend on space etc.

2) I have heard that registering can take a long time. How long after starting the process, does my home have to be fit for inspection ? (like most peoples homes, mine has stuff that needs doing). In my area we have to complete the ICP course first before applying to OFSTED so I had quite a while to prepare. Even when the inspector comes for your pre reg you can tell them what you will have done before you start.

3) If I started the process now, is it likely that I could be registered by Sept ?Personally it took me 13 months to reg but it is still very doable by sept. Nothing can be certain though and CRB's seem to be the biggest wait.

4) How exactly do I get started ? I can't seem to find out where pre registration courses are held. I am in birminghamTry your local Early years dept or the Family information service.

I am a single mum and slightly worried that I could end up registered, with no mindees and no money and will have come off benefits. I'd be interested to hear from any other single parent childminders to see how you cope with that possibility.This is where i can't really help but i would say that CMing is so uncertain you can be full one minute and then have notice given by everyone the next. Try and get some savings behind you so you can keep your head above water in the quiet times.

Thanks for reading
    Good luck with it all!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your reply, that was really helpful

I have rung the relevat people and they are sending me an info pack out today so hopefully I can then get the ball rolling.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add a bit about the benefits, as I can't add any more to the excellent advice already given.

Eventhough you are registered (when that happens) you won't have to come off your benefit until you sign your first mindee.

HTHs

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks zoomie that is good to know.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya just thought I'd answer the single parent bit. I got my cert through a few weeks ago after 9 months of setting up and leaving my job end Aug. I currently have no mindees but I'm no worse off as stil get the benefits I was on before I was registered. Once I get a mindee for a minimum 16hrs I will be able to get working tax credits instead and will be much better off. Just gotta stick out the waiting and keep my fingers crossed. Good luck hope it all works out for you x

Jan-10
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me 6 weeks to register! A bit of a shock.

Where I live Ofsted are supposed to come to you within 2 weeks of receiving your application, which they did, and then 4 weeks later I had my certificate! Totally unexpected and unusual apparently - I still have no mindees but am now on the look out.

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skytvaddict View Post
    It took me 6 weeks to register! A bit of a shock.

Where I live Ofsted are supposed to come to you within 2 weeks of receiving your application, which they did, and then 4 weeks later I had my certificate! Totally unexpected and unusual apparently - I still have no mindees but am now on the look out.
    Surely that wasnt from the start.... briefing, etc
    ICP itself takes 10-12 weeks, think i answered it myself sorry, i guess you meant from the end of the icp till certificate arrived, i am a wally at times

Anyways i just wanted to know how the lady who posted this thread is getting on?

x

Twinklestars Guest

hi my course took 12 weeks (4 were first aid) then my registration only took 4 weeks including xmas) - it will also depend if you have to wait for a course to start

Jun2010
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC78 View Post

1) I have 3 children aged 12, 10 and 7 so how many children would i be likely to be registered to have ?

2) I have heard that registering can take a long time. How long after starting the process, does my home have to be fit for inspection ? (like most peoples homes, mine has stuff that needs doing).

3) If I started the process now, is it likely that I could be registered by Sept ?

4) How exactly do I get started ? I can't seem to find out where pre registration courses are held. I am in birmingham

I am a single mum and slightly worried that I could end up registered, with no mindees and no money and will have come off benefits. I'd be interested to hear from any other single parent childminders to see how you cope with that possibility.

Thanks for reading
    I'm in the same sort of position, all i can say is don't come off benefits until you have a date for your first mindee to start. It's just a couple of phone calls if you're on income support and child tax credits. And if you're working less than 16 hours you cant claim working tax but you can stay on income support. If thats the case they ignore the first 2 thirds of your income, you're allowed to earn £20 and the rest is taken of your income support so for example:

£90 earnings - £60 ignored = £30 - £20 allowed = £10 off your income support, hope this helps!
    I've lost 11lbs so far with bootsdiets.com!

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marzi View Post
    I'm in the same sort of position, all i can say is don't come off benefits until you have a date for your first mindee to start. It's just a couple of phone calls if you're on income support and child tax credits. And if you're working less than 16 hours you cant claim working tax but you can stay on income support. If thats the case they ignore the first 2 thirds of your income, you're allowed to earn £20 and the rest is taken of your income support so for example:

£90 earnings - £60 ignored = £30 - £20 allowed = £10 off your income support, hope this helps!
    So if you work over 16 hours and go onto working tax credits, you come off income support? I find all this confusing as everyone says childminding for single mothers is a great job but its so unpredictable and i find the idea of coming of benefits scary. But at the same time want to do it to keep my brain ticking iykwim.

Jun2010
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emz View Post
    So if you work over 16 hours and go onto working tax credits, you come off income support? I find all this confusing as everyone says childminding for single mothers is a great job but its so unpredictable and i find the idea of coming of benefits scary. But at the same time want to do it to keep my brain ticking iykwim.
    Yep you come off income support and claim working tax instead. I'm worried about coming off benefits too as I'm in privately rented accommodation and could never afford the £800 a month rent! The calculator at www.entitledto.co.uk is very handy. Also, If you've been on income support for over a year you can claim 'In Work Credit' which is £40 a week for up to a year.

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marzi View Post
    Yep you come off income support and claim working tax instead. I'm worried about coming off benefits too as I'm in privately rented accommodation and could never afford the £800 a month rent! The calculator at www.entitledto.co.uk is very handy. Also, If you've been on income support for over a year you can claim 'In Work Credit' which is £40 a week for up to a year.
    Thats an interesting page, seems i'd be better off
    I'm the same private renting, mines £620 p.m and couldn't afford for it to go tits up.
    maybe i'll just go for it you don't get anywhere if you don't try lol
    x

Jun2010
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats pretty much what i thought too. You never know til you try!

Apr10
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a single parent coming off benefits on Monday.I'm unsure of what i will be getting exactly but have been told I'm entitled to Working Tax, Child tax credits and also the £40 in work credit.i won't be counting this in my household budget as it ends after a year and I don't want to rely on it.
    I will be working 21 hrs per week and to be honest think i will be slghtly better off but no considerable change in income.When they give you a calculation they don't count free school meals so just be careful.I don't mind working for the same money as benefits I just want to be a working mum again
    Can give you more of an idea of figures on Monday when i ring tax credits for definate numbers

HTH