Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Advice please

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice please

I have a child that has started to bite other children for no reason. Any advice on how to handle it please.
    Deb

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice please

Do you have a biting policy? If not, then time to do one...there is one on the Bromley site, so give you an idea...don't forget to add that to your SEF to show reflective practice!
    Blaze x

aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would speak to the parents and see if he does it anywhere else. They may come up with some ideas for u. I would get a biting policy too

jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child like that last year and he was biting everyone. Mum had already spoken to me about him and explained that he was doing it when he wanted something that the other child had. Even though I used to watch him like a hawk, every week he'd bite someone.
    We had agreed with mum that should it happen he would be given time out in the buggy or in cot if we were home. This is what we did and poor boy spent a lot of time in buggy while at playgroup. It is a stage some of them go through and mostly due to frustration and not able to express themselves. I think you should speak to parents about it so that you agree on action to be taken. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a lot that can be done apart from consistency with home, and hopefully, it will pass!
    Elodie XX

June 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

this is quite a 'normal' stage for a lot of children, I would def write up a biting policy, and discuss with parents ways of dealing with it, also if mindee bites another you should write it up as an incident.

I'm afraid theres not a lot that can be done till they 'grow' out of it, apart from supervising and removing child if he/she bites or is about to bite. I usualyy use time out with parents permission

hth
    Michelle x:current loss to date - 100lb clapping:

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS2 was a biter, and did so for years, though I am glad to say he did out grow it.

Haven't read the biting policies etc, but we identified what triggered it (frustration at wanting something), and we tended to be able to 'save ourselves' but DS1 wasn't always so lucky.

A sharp telling off and removing from the situation. Some people suggested biting, but that is wrong, and confuses the child.

Fingers crossed it is a short spell.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou All. I have wrote a incident report and have printe off a biting policy to give to Mum when she collects him. I explained to him abou hurting people and how it makes us sad. Iam pretty sure he has his back teeth coming through so that could be one of the reasons. When I went on my DHC1 course I was told that we are not to use time out that we should just remove them from the situation and give them another activity to do? apparently I was not to use the termanology time out in front of Ofsted.
    Would I give mum a copy of the incident report?

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an arguement with my nan about this last week! she said that children should be bitten back! apparantly she used to do it to me and it never did me any harm! lol. i was shocked, i can't imagine biting a child but i suppose thats the old fashioned way of dealing with it.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Debster View Post
    Thankyou All. I have wrote a incident report and have printe off a biting policy to give to Mum when she collects him. I explained to him abou hurting people and how it makes us sad. Iam pretty sure he has his back teeth coming through so that could be one of the reasons. When I went on my DHC1 course I was told that we are not to use time out that we should just remove them from the situation and give them another activity to do? apparently I was not to use the termanology time out in front of Ofsted.
    Would I give mum a copy of the incident report?
    For OFSTED it's the "thinking step/chair.playpen"....:they don't like naughty step or time out thumbsup:

& yes both bitee's mum should get a copy of the incident report & child biten should get a slightly differently worded incident report IYSWIM to allow for confidentiality.
    Last edited by Blaze; 18-05-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    Blaze x