I am on income support - what should i do?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I am on income support - what should i do?

Hi there, I am currently on income support as i am a single mum of 4!! I have been asked to childmind a 14 mth 7hrs a day for £100 per week ( yes i know!!), however i need the experience and the hours are great. I know that when you are on i/s that they only account for a third, which would be just over £33, what i dont get is that this amount is over the £20 i am allowed to earn without it affecting my claim, but it is under the amount i get for income support
    Also they don't need me in the holidays so do i have to keep making new claims???!!
    I am getting so stressed by this, is anyone in a similar situation that could give me some advise please

amirose Guest

Default Re: I am on income support - what should i do?

Work out the cost over a year, so if they dont need you in school holidays you will be working 39weeks at £100 = £3900 then divide it by 52 = meaning you will be actually earning £75 a week over the year.
    They will reduce the amount of income support to match your increased income meaning you should be, overall, getting the same kind of money.

hth

Apr10
    Post Thanks / Like

have you registered as a childminder with ofsted?
    I was on income support until April.Because I work over 16 hours I cam off income support and now claim working tax credits.You would work out your income less the disregards and this would give you an annual income to work from.
    If you have a lone parent adviser at the jobcentre give them a ring.Mine was great.She helped me apply for all benefits and even helped me buy some items to start up childminding.
    I also am entitled to £40 per week in work credits for the first 52weeks.It's an incentive to get people back into work.
    I'm not financially better off than benefits but I'm alot happier knowing I'm working for my money.Good luck.Hope you get sorted.

Jun2010
    Post Thanks / Like

On income support the ignore the first 2/3rds like you said so would count you as earning £33, then they take of the £20 you're allowed to earn so you'd basically get £13 taken off your IS. But still full housing benefit etc. I was told this by a back to work advisor last year so maybe worth making yourself an appointment in case anything has changed. HTH xx
    I've lost 11lbs so far with bootsdiets.com!