Thumbs up Re: I start tomorrow

good luck i hope it all goes really well for you x

Registered Childminder since
    July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I start tomorrow

How did your first day go with the little one?

I'm sure you were fine, is it full time?

Your numbers will increase so make the most of your time now.

Carol xx

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your lovely words of encouragement. You've made me feel so welcome here and I'm really pleased to have joined such a nice community

Hardly slept a wink last night (as Bev predicted lol). I didn't switch the bedside lamp off until almost 1am 'cos I had so much stuff churning over. It's been quite an emotional journey - finishing my office job on Friday, due to redundancy, and beginning childminding today (Monday). It would've been nice to have had a week in between to adjust but it didn't work out that way.

To be totally honest I was apprehensive at taking on a baby. I wasn't sure how I'd cope or how I'd feel but I guess we all have to start somewhere don't we? Also, my financial situation isn't such that I can pick and choose at the moment. Both my partner and I were made redundant within a month of each other.

Anyways, after much crying, sleeping, feeding, burping, bum changing etc I'm pleased to announce I survived the first day! Fortunately my partner was on hand as a surrogate uncle and he's great with babies.

I'm not quite convinced the parents understand the meaning of 'advance' as opposed to 'arrears'. They were supposed to pay me for one day today and then a week's pay tomorrow (their funding is paid on Tuesdays) but hopefully payment for today AND the following week will materialise tomorrow. If not I'll have to bring up the topic and I hate talking money! I'm amazed how quickly parents 'forget' the terms they agreed to!!

I'm still feeling apprehensive but doesn't everyone when they start something new

Bubbly xxx
    Last edited by bubbly; 03-12-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

well done on your first day Bubbly, the first day for me was the hardest cause your all on your own so to speak but well done you

I hope the parent has paid you now ? you need to nip it in the bud straight from the oof or they will no they can get away with it time and time again, it is hard but you need your wages on time as agreed

xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck i am sure you will be fine
    Lindaxx

Post Thanks / Like

As somebody else has just said, make sure you do get paid on time or they think they will always be able to get away with paying late!!
    Hope you get your money today
    Alison
    x

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so envious - a one month old baby - I like babies. Start as you mean to go on and make sure they understand the terms stand as they signed

lov eKate

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: I start tomorrow

Good Luck,hopefully I won't be too far behind you.I have my inspection next Monday.I think my CRB might get held up though what with Xmas so probably won't be able to start till the new year.
    Keep us posted how you get on

April06
    Post Thanks / Like

well done on surviving your first day, as has been said I hope you can nip in the bud your payment terms, you would think with a baby so young that the parents would want to make a good impression on you, and pay as agreed, not dilly dally from the off, but we all know that parents will try it on. hope you get it sorted out,
    Mandy

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to the dad about payment terms this morning and he was very apologetic. He's a thoroughly nice guy and he's been nothing but polite and decent so I really can't fault him on that. The mum phoned later and basically said she can't pay in advance (due to waiting on her tax credit payment), so we hit stalemate. Felt I had little choice but to back down otherwise I would've risked losing my first, and only, mindee. I felt 'negotiations' had gone as far as they could. Anyway, will have to see how it goes and if if doesn't work out there's always the 4 week termination clause lol.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand that you want to keep on good terms and 'backed down' but don't let them walk all over you, some will given half a chance!

At least you had a good day with the baby, well done, it's always nice when the first day is over, I think!
    Pauline x

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Had the baby for an hour and a half longer this evening and will do the same again tomorrow. I've decided to give the parents an invoice (that sounds a bit official but you know what I mean lol) next Monday evening with a breakdown of the days/hours I worked. I thought this would prevent any confusion for payment the following day. Do you think that would be a good idea and do most of you do that already?

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bubbly

Congratulations on such a good first day!

I always give my parents an invoice - I have a column for the date worked, a column for the hours, an hourly rate column, total number of hours column and total for that day column with the grand total at the bottom and a space for adjustments in the middle (i.e. if I was sick or something). I spell it out to them what I'm charging for so that there can't be any confusion. I give them a copy and keep a copy on their file too.

I also give them a receipt upon payment.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As you are invoicing them and want paying in advance (and I presume that this is what your contract stated) make sure the first lineof you rinvoice states amount outstanding from last invoice.

My invoice has any extra hours covered in the week previously then the amount owing on theis particular invoice then that is totalled. Then at the bottom of hte invoice it states

invoice total
    amount outstanding from previous invoice (or overpayment from last invoice if paretn insists it comes off hte bill)
    then Toal invoice amount.

If they query this then tell them that is the amount outstanding as they signed the contract for payment in advance. Allow them to pay x amount a week from the outstanding amount owing

love Kate

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubbly View Post
    Had the baby for an hour and a half longer this evening and will do the same again tomorrow. I've decided to give the parents an invoice (that sounds a bit official but you know what I mean lol) next Monday evening with a breakdown of the days/hours I worked. I thought this would prevent any confusion for payment the following day. Do you think that would be a good idea and do most of you do that already?

yes I always do parents an invoice saves any confusion of how much and when to pay ....
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: I start tomorrow

Went to a meeting with Inland revenue last night at college and she said it is very important to keep a written invoice detailing the hours worked and amount charged for.
    Not only does it cover you if a parent queries what they have paid for a months or so down the line ( you will have a duplicate copy) but it is important from a tax point of view incase they ever query your tax return, as it also gives detailed evidence of the hours you have worked, should you ever need to prove it.

Hope this helps!

Emma x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou View Post
    Went to a meeting with Inland revenue last night at college and she said it is very important to keep a written invoice detailing the hours worked and amount charged for.
    Not only does it cover you if a parent queries what they have paid for a months or so down the line ( you will have a duplicate copy) but it is important from a tax point of view incase they ever query your tax return, as it also gives detailed evidence of the hours you have worked, should you ever need to prove it.

Hope this helps!

Emma x
    June invited or groupp on the HND to that Emma, I went to the North Lincolnshire Childminders Group meeting instead or we would have met each other ....LOL

xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny That, we would of met at long last!

Kate(building Blocks) also invited me to your North Lincs childminders group meeting Xmas party last night aswell, so we nearly met up either way!

emma x

Post Thanks / Like

congratulations on having a good first day bubbly and remember pauline's advice - be strong and don't let them take the micheal. I hope baby is the first of many new mindees for you

xx

Post Thanks / Like

Well done on your first day with the baby

Shame parents did not pay you - give them an inch and they take a mile

Be strong like Pauline suggested

Did they sign a contract with you agreeing that they would pay in advance - did they explain that they would be waiting for tax credits

I had a child start a month ago they had to wait for 2 weeks for their tax credit to be sorted out so if I was you I would not be too understanding after that time limit

Good luck and hope you get it sorted

Angel xx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast