Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Steps up to my house!

Hi everyone!
    So I’m thinking about becoming a childminder whilst my little boy is still so young (currently 5 months old but will be 1 year old when I start). My home has quite a few steps leading up to the door. With my little boy it hasn’t been a problem as I carry him everywhere but I’m concerned about how I will manage the steps when I have other young children and a buggy! I plan on having no more than three children in my care (my child included). Does anyone have any ideas about how I can manage going up and down steps with multiple young children and a buggy?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is doable but not easy, one friend had to do this...If you can see both the top and bottom from wherever you are on the stairs put a second double buggy at the top. Take one child at a time out of the bottom buggy , up the stairs , fasten in at top repeat for all children, then carry up the buggy! Needs a bit of organisationwith the second buggy left in place for when you need it.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything is doable. I don't have steps by my front door but I live in a first floor flat and so had stairs in the communal area to deal with. I trained the children from as young as possible to go down the stairs safely (holding my hand, or with me right in front of them as they came down on their bottoms. Other times I had a jumperoo that I would sit one child in while I ran down and strapped the other child in the buggy. You could also have a travel cot near your door. You do need to take extra care not to get locked out while a baby is still inside. I used to wedge the door to my flat open and had a spare set of keys hidden outside.

Is your front garden safe/gated in for toddlers to wait in whilst you strap them in one at a time (if you did all manage to get out at the same time?)

You are right to think about potential obstacles, but don't over think things. I agonised over certain things before I started minding, but no one else - clients, development officers etc gave it a second thought. Everything just fell into place when I started minding and things constantly evolve anyway as the children get older and their needs change or they become more independent.

5. Likes loocyloo, mama2three liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Without knowing the actual lay out of your house its hard to say. But everything can be worked around.

I have 6 steps depending on ages/capabilities i park the buggy at the bottom and take the walkers up and wait by the front door. If they are older and confident they follow me up holding on to the handrails.

Like Maza says dont over think it as it will fall into place once you have the mindees and know their capabilities
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to live in a flat with 50 steps to the top so I sympathise - it's definitely doable just something to consider when accepting children to take on - whether children can independently walk or need to be carried. Great suggestions of securing children at top one at a time. A front carrier or back pack style carrier may also be helpful. Good luck