pre-registration advice in Nottingham area?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Hollyhock Guest

Default pre-registration advice in Nottingham area?

Hello,

I am waiting for Ofsted to call and make an appointment for the pre-registration visit. I still can't say I'm on top of things though, and I am sure it would help immensely to bounce off ideas with another to-be-childminder. Is there anyone in the Nottingham area who is currently getting ready for the visit, or has perhaps recently had one? I shall also try make the most of this lovely forum, but still it would be great to share this challenge with someone (and a coffee)!
    I am thinking especially about how to demonstrate to the inspector my intention to support the children's learning and developement along the lines of the EYFS...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi holly,
    I'm in exactly the same position, but am in Sheffield... I'm likewise not quite sure if the best way to prepare, probably because I've not had a proper sit down and think... Somewhere I found the pre-reg handbook that Ofsted used to use, and in it are various questions Ofsted will ask (or at least they did a few years ago) I'm planning on writing down some answers to those things to gather my thoughts as I reckon they'll still ask similar things. I'll try and find it and link it to you
    Sarah xx

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The inspector will want to make sure you know the Eyfs - know how you are going to manage your business - know safeguarding - know about the learning and development requirements.

Pre-reg is quite tough nowadays because they won't normally be back for up to 30 months which is quite a long time...

Ofsted should point you to a list of pre-reg questions in this handbook - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...g_handbook.pdf

I hope that helps

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya,

Im in Derby and had mine a couple of months ago. My inspector actually sent me a piece of A4 with all the things we were going to talk about. It was really helpful. I dont want to upload it on here in case I get into trouble lol (in case they are watching me) but if you could PM me your email address I could forward it onto you. It may not be the same as your visit but it might help!

Hollyhock Guest

[QUOTE=sbash7;1425227]Hi holly,
    I'm in exactly the same position, but am in Sheffield... I'm likewise not quite sure if the best way to prepare, probably because I've not had a proper sit down and think... Somewhere I found the pre-reg handbook that Ofsted used to use, and in it are various questions Ofsted will ask (or at least they did a few years ago) I'm planning on writing down some answers to those things to gather my thoughts as I reckon they'll still ask similar things. I'll try and find it and link it to you
    Sarah xx[/QUOTE

Hi Sarah,

thank you - I have the pre-reg booklet, but not completed it. I tend to overthink things and usually find it so much easier to arrive at a satisfying answer when talking about it to someone who is dealing with the same task. I would appreaciate if you let me know how you are doing with the pre-registration booklet, and perhaps we can help each other by means of this forum even? In any case, all the best to you!

Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathremuk View Post
    Hiya,

Im in Derby and had mine a couple of months ago. My inspector actually sent me a piece of A4 with all the things we were going to talk about. It was really helpful. I dont want to upload it on here in case I get into trouble lol (in case they are watching me) but if you could PM me your email address I could forward it onto you. It may not be the same as your visit but it might help!
    That is neat! Or was it the pre-registration booklet? Please forgive my ignorance, but what does PM stand for...? I'd be happy to get my email address to you somehow.
    Thank you!

Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    The inspector will want to make sure you know the Eyfs - know how you are going to manage your business - know safeguarding - know about the learning and development requirements.

Pre-reg is quite tough nowadays because they won't normally be back for up to 30 months which is quite a long time...

Ofsted should point you to a list of pre-reg questions in this handbook - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...g_handbook.pdf

I hope that helps
    It does, thank you - I didn't know that managing my business would also be a topic! In fact, I haven't focussed on that much at all yet. I found heaps of material online, business-toolkits etc. on the local council website, but found it to be rather an overload for someone as inexperienced as myself with regards to business. Did you actually write a business plan?
    I know Sarah Graven has summed up some basics about how to run a childminding business, and shall look into it again.
    Thanks!

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

PM - Private message.

Its not the pre reg booklet. It just an A4 sheet with a list of topics.