When to book pre-registration visit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When to book pre-registration visit

I'm in the process of setting up to do childminding and hope to start in September.

I've just submitted my coursework for registration and have all the other certificates/forms completed and just need to send off my health declaration form to ofsted.

My question is when to apply for an Ofsted visit? I'm a bit hesitant as we are currently in the process of finishing off an extension which will be the main childcare area of the home and it won't be complete until August at least. How long do Oftsed take to arrange a visit, should I apply now or later?

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It can take a while for the inspection - and a few weeks for the certificate to come through - so I'd suggest sooner rather than later.

I hope it goes well for you!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you have a safe space to show for CMing (even if it is not your final, new space) that is fine (so your existing front room maybe?). It does not need to be pretty or set up like a nursery!
    Ofsted just want to check you know your stuff, check your ID etc, check you have a basically safe space- or that you know what you need to put in place even if it is not 100% ready. You can show the space you will use in future and say it is out-of-bounds until it is ready.
    It is best to be 'ready to work' but don't panic if everything isn't perfect. You can discuss this with the inspector when they phone to make the pre-reg visit appointment, explain the situation as it is then, they want to get you registered and are usually quite human and flexible (it is not like the graded inspection at all) they might be able to set an appointment a few weeks forward to give you time to get things ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks - I've now started my application with all your points in mind. I even had a hopeful mum pop round earlier today to see my house (complete with thick layers of dust on everything) and had to explain we are still in the process of registering.

Feeling much more hopeful about it all now and hope to be registered by September :-)

5. Likes moggy liked this post