Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking pre reg and 7 areas of learning - getting my knickers in a twist

Hiya

My pre reg is on Thursday and ive pretty much done everything on the list she gave me except the activity planning as I keep getting myself in a muddle about how to do it.

It reads-
    'give examples of activities for each of the 7 areas of learning for a 12 month old and a 4 year old. Describe what they will learn and how as an adult you will support them'

So like many activities they cover many areas but should i be doing one activity adapted for both ages and only focusing on one area? When i focus on many areas for one activity i find that they cover bits of the learning area but not all of it. Am I making any sense? So for example I might say my activity covers all 7 of the learning areas for the 4 year old but in actual fact it covers the managing feelings and behaviour part of the psed but not the making relationships or the self confidence and self awareness areas part of the psed.

If I sound crazy tell me.

So for example my activity - pom pom sorting.

for the one year old this is a tub with holes in they can push the pom poms through and for the four year old tongs and colour matched bowls.
    to me for the 4 year old for example this covers
    psed (managing feelings and behaviour and self awareness)
    c&l (understanding, listening, speaking)
    pd (moving and handling)
    maths (numbers, shape space and measure)

but does it matter that it doesnt cover making relationships in psed or health and self care in PD? Will she be wanting all sub areas of the area covered in one activity.

Sorry to sound crazy

Thanks in advance for your help. Its much appreciated

Should I go in depth on one area for this or as many areas as it covers.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't over think it- they just want to check you understand the 7 areas and that different ages need different activities. No more than that. The bar is far lower than you are imagining!

Your pom-pom activity does cover making relationships in psed because you are working together and bonding and building your relationship as you play together, and it contributes towards health and self care in PD because self-care skills need fine and gross motor skills which you are working on too- and independence and doing things for themselves.

You can talk about other ways you can work on the areas of learning too- it is not a test, it is just a chat to make sure you have some idea of what you are doing! You can talk about lots of different activities and how you use routines and daily tasks to cover the Areas too.

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh thank you so much. Im going nuts lol. I knew I was prob overthinking!

I have to write it all down. Dont think I could reel off everything in my head about the 7 learning areas. Will they be bothered ive written all my activities and explanations down do you reckon?

Thanks for the info on making relationships. I was just reading it as if it was other children not me.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mathremuk View Post

I have to write it all down. Dont think I could reel off everything in my head about the 7 learning areas. Will they be bothered ive written all my activities and explanations down do you reckon?

Thanks for the info on making relationships. I was just reading it as if it was other children not me.

I'm sure they won't mind you having things written down. I had all sorts of 'crib' sheets for my inspection as I knew I'd forget things :-) my inspector didn't mind at all. X

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not a test, not even a memory test! Of course you can write it down. It should be a friendly chat, they help you out, they pretty much answer questions for you if you're lucky! Relax. They want to get you registered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I'm sure they won't mind you having things written down. I had all sorts of 'crib' sheets for my inspection as I knew I'd forget things :-) my inspector didn't mind at all. X
    Your inspection or your pre ref loocyloo?

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-reg rather!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post

Your inspection or your pre ref loocyloo?
    :-) inspection!

My pre reg was far too long ago to remember anything about it and in fact, we didn't really need to know anything!

I always have lists as I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on! I told my inspector I had written things down so I didn't forget and she said that was fine, as I obviously knew my children and the crib sheet just prompted me!

:-)

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say a massive thanks!!! Im registered. It went really well and I was over prepared but she was happy with that!! Holiday now and then I can get started whoohooo.

10. Likes moggy, BallyH liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to say a massive thanks!!! Im registered. It went really well and I was over prepared but she was happy with that!! Holiday now and then I can get started whoohooo.
    :-) well done you.

Congratulations and Welcome to the wonderful if slightly mad world of childminding :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! Such a relief huh! Let the fun begin! ;-)