PRE REGISTRATION VISIT and HELP
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PRE REGISTRATION VISIT and HELP

I am new to this site and I have spent all night reading different info for knowledge from this forum.
    I am almost done with my pre registration and waiting for the call with a date of visit.

My question is: Do I get the Public liability insurance before the Visit? Do Pacey give you just public liability insurance if you are not a Full member? which provider is cheaper for Public liability insurance. I want to pay for membership when I am fully registered. As I need every penny to prepare for the pre reg visit.

Any tips on questions asked and what they are looking for?
    I still need to get some stuff and I am worried I am not totally ready, especially after reading various forums

I don't want to cook food, but rather parent bring in their packed food. I really want to do a lot of physical activities and outing with the kids, will this be a problem with Ofsted if I am not cooking , but I can do baking activities for snacks?
    I did put a flat fee of £5 per hour on my fee policy and did not indicate holiday or term times, is this right?
    Advice on price for over night care please for babies? toddlers and over 8years?

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I get the Public liability insurance before the Visit?

No, get quotes and decide which provider you will go with, but you can't get PLI until you are registered. But do it the day you get your certificate.

Do Pacey give you just public liability insurance if you are not a Full member? which provider is cheaper for Public liability insurance. I want to pay for membership when I am fully registered. As I need every penny to prepare for the pre reg visit.
    Best just phone Pacey, also look at Morton Michel and the childcare.co.uk PLI insurance that comes as part of Gold Membership.

Any tips on questions asked and what they are looking for?
    I still need to get some stuff and I am worried I am not totally ready, especially after reading various forums

Just make sure you have completed the pre-reg booklet, it is your opportunity to ask the inspector questions too, it is not a test, you can refer to your notes and ask for things to be phrased differently if you do not understand. They want to get you registered!

I don't want to cook food, but rather parent bring in their packed food. I really want to do a lot of physical activities and outing with the kids, will this be a problem with Ofsted if I am not cooking , but I can do baking activities for snacks?
    Ofsted do not care if you cook or not. But they want to know how you will promote healthy eating. Yes, baking is a great activity- but you will need food hygiene knowledge for that and for storing and serving/reheating food from home.

I did put a flat fee of £5 per hour on my fee policy and did not indicate holiday or term times, is this right?
    Will you be open in school holidays? Do you want to take on term-time only children? You need to decide what income you need through the year and how 'busy' you want to be at different times of the year. If you take on a term-time only child you might want to charge a retainer in the holidays to keep the place but then you do have to keep the place open and take the child if the parent tops-up the 50% fees for those days. You might want term-time only and accept that you will have no income in holidays... it is all up to you but make sure it is clear before you agree to take on any family.

Advice on price for over night care please for babies? toddlers and over 8years?
    Best to ask locally. This is a national forum so for day-time hourly rates you will get a variation across the country from £3-ish up to £9++. Overnight care would vary in a similar way so best check in your own area.

Post Thanks / Like

The pre - reg booklet? Where can I find this or is it something that Ofsted sends once they have confirmed your application?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
    The pre - reg booklet? Where can I find this or is it something that Ofsted sends once they have confirmed your application?
    Oh, sorry, just read that they have changed the system from Jan 2016.
    We used to fill out this 'preparing for your pre-reg visit booklet' document and use it at the pre-reg visit:
    http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...gistration.pdf

BUT...
    This link says that old 'preparing for your pre-reg visit booklet' has now been replaced with this new document:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...der-in-england

Shame, the old one was a useful way of working thorough the questions they ask you at Pre-Reg.
    All change again...

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Oh, sorry, just read that they have changed the system from Jan 2016. We used to fill out this 'preparing for your pre-reg visit booklet' document and use it at the pre-reg visit: http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...gistration.pdf BUT... This link says that old 'preparing for your pre-reg visit booklet' has now been replaced with this new document: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...der-in-england Shame, the old one was a useful way of working thorough the questions they ask you at Pre-Reg. All change again...
    Having looked at the new 'improved' document, I'd say the 'preparing for your pre-reg visit booklet' is still useful in thinking about the questions an Inspector might ask when assessing your suitability.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. That's all useful information 😀