length of time to become a childminder
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default length of time to become a childminder

Hi. I am just starting to look into all the necessary training etc to become a childminder, just wondering if anyone can advise on roughly how long the process can take? I am going back to work part time whilst training and my employers would like a rough idea how long I will be back for. Is there anything you can suggest doing first? Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need to ask your LA how long the training course takes ... Ofsted, DBS, doctor etc can add a few more months to the process.

How long is a piece of string I'm afraid - I hope it's quick for you!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah is correct.

Worth noting there was a piece on BBC radio only yesterday about the dreadful backlog at the Disclosure and Barring Service. They still 'officially' say they'll "complete 90% of Enhanced Disclosures within four weeks, and 100 percent within 60 days." The reality is that most current applications are taking something like three times as long as they should. One commentator estimated the backlog was growing, rather than being cleared, suggesting that unless the DBS got its act together it could soon take over 6 months to process an application.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your responses. I've set up to start the online course, it all looks very intense, did anyone else feel the same? And is it as bad as it seems once you get started?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I finished my pacey course I didn't find it daunting but maybe it is because I have previous knowledge of early years and working with children of all ages . I must say that you are very well supported while doing the course and your tutor does give important feedback which I found really helpful. Overall my experience with the course was very positive and all the staff were very helpful when I needed help. The course provided good web links and well set out .

6. Likes mmorgan liked this post
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
    Thanks all for your responses. I've set up to start the online course, it all looks very intense, did anyone else feel the same? And is it as bad as it seems once you get started?
    Hi, I didn't have an online course. The start up procedure varies between local authorities. Just had the call for pre-reg, I applied a few weeks ago

Good luck x

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it depends on your local authority

From booking a childminding briefing
    To being on a LA approved course which at my borough is six weeks long.
    Then progressing into of steel registration which can take up to 12 weeks if all is well.
    I think it is safe to say anywhere from 6 months to a