Having families in mind before ofsted visit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Having families in mind before ofsted visit

Hi, I am awaiting phone call to book in my pre reg visit (everything else is completed) and wondered whether I should now be advertising and having families in mind to contact when I'm registered or not do this until I am actually registered?
    Thankyou x

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, absolutely start looking around and spreading the word... BUT you must be absolutely clear that you are not registered yet and that you can not promise any start date as no one can guarantee how the process will go from here to receiving your certificate. Many of us had families all ready to start when we registered, but they have to be families who are planning far ahead (to allow plenty of time for the certificate to come) or who are flexible to use other care until you have your certificate.

A mistake a lot of new CMers make is to jump at the first families that come along and sign-up in desperation thinking no other work will come.
    Be picky- very picky! You need to choose and interview them as much as they choose you. Question everything- how are those hours/days going to fit with other clients? be careful of taking short-hour part-timers that block-off whole days, do you really want to take on a term-time only and have no income in the hols? etc etc
    Think carefully about the balance of EYFS-age and school-ages you want... that ideal full-time gorgeous 1 year old may not turn out so great if the contract includes 2 rude and rowdy elder siblings after school and all holidays! Meet the children, spend time with them.
    Good luck!

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou, that's really helpful. Up to now I've not thought too much about all of these things as focussed on getting registered.
    And your right about jumping to the first person who expresses interest!! I've just had someone who wants me to do one day 6.45am - 2.30pm. I need to think what that means about my ratios and who will actually want the other half of that place.
    Thankyou very much, I need to think about all of this in detail to decide exactly what hrs and whether or not to do term time only ect. X

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gemgem12 View Post
    I've just had someone who wants me to do one day 6.45am - 2.30pm. I need to think what that means about my ratios and who will actually want the other half of that place. X
    This is still a long day, with an early start. Many childminders would not think about adding another child onto the end, or would just have an after schooler. If you start at 6.45, and don't finish till 6, 6.30, 6.45 or even 7, this would be an extremely long day, especially if you think about your lack of lunch and tea breaks!! It's also a very long day for your own children too.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    This is still a long day, with an early start. Many childminders would not think about adding another child onto the end, or would just have an after schooler. If you start at 6.45, and don't finish till 6, 6.30, 6.45 or even 7, this would be an extremely long day, especially if you think about your lack of lunch and tea breaks!! It's also a very long day for your own children too.
    I charge double for 'unsociable hours' (outside my usual opening hours of 8-5.30pm). Something to think about- as if that is something this family agree to then it may make it worth while. It is very hard to find child care from so early in the morning! But then again, I never take on a one-day-a-week child as I feel the income is not enough to cover the admin still needed (invoicing, record keeping, learning journal etc). It is good to think what the 'minimum hours a week' you are willing to accept for a contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points, Thankyou. Lots to think about. X