Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Training childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't decide if I should start childminding

Hi everyone,
    I am in the process of becoming a childminder. I have done my Pacey HBCA and really enjoyed it. I am a qualified science teacher and know I would love the planning and observation side of the job, just not sure if I should childmind. Childminding was attractive to me as I have a small baby and dont want to put him in childcare. I only have experience working with older children and worry that I would miss adult interaction throughout the day. Why do you enjoy childminding and do you get enough time with adults?
    Would really appreciate your thoughts!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as adult-company goes, I feel you get out as much as you put in. If you make the effort to get to groups, even start groups if they don't exist, go on training courses (great networking), get involved in any local authority early years networking/meetings, get involved in Pacey Local for example, make the effort to meet other CMers and invite them over for playdates, get talking to parents in the playground/nursery lobby etc then you can buiold up a network of new friends and colleagues. It is possible to not talk to another adult for days but then it is the same as a mum at home with a baby- you need to make it happen.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in science and gave it up for childminding when my son was a baby.
    I have regular mums that I meet up with that have children similar ages to those I mind, a couple I met at groups and as our children outgrew the groups we continued to meet at parks etc. Days when I don't see another adult can be a bit lonely but overall it's so worth it and the odd quiet day is outweighed by every day being different and being able to be with my son

Post Thanks / Like

You could run session after school and school hols older ones as a science club. Instead of having little ones in the day or as well as. That's a positive of this job it's so flexible. Depends on the amount of income you need and what you fancy doing.

Non childminder member
    Training childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your perspectives, it really helps. I think I will go to our local children's centre to meet the local childminders to get a better idea of what is going on in my area. We have just moved to a new town so everything is up in the air at the moment. You are right that if I stay at home and don't work as a childminder I would be isolated from adults on some days. It wouldn't be worthwhile going back to my teaching job as childcare costs in my area are really high.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile looking to become a childminder

Hi,

I am looking at becoming a childminder later on in the new year, I have completed level 3 pre school practice, safeguarding, attended briefing and have paediatric & full first aid booked for next month.
    Any advice guidance would really be appreciative !!!

look forward to some replies

Thankyou

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmeChaSar198 View Post
    Hi,

I am looking at becoming a childminder later on in the new year, I have completed level 3 pre school practice, safeguarding, attended briefing and have paediatric & full first aid booked for next month.
    Any advice guidance would really be appreciative !!!

look forward to some replies

Thankyou
    Sounds like you are well organised already. Good luck with it and if you have any questions I am sure someone on here can help.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm in process of becoming registered too. From my experience the main thing I would begin asap now is your DBS application as this can take ages sometimes. It held me up for months as was waiting for my husbands to be completed. Also, I'm not sure if the funding is still running but may be worth looking into. It was available until December but not sure what the cut off date is. Other than that, it sounds to me like your well on your way to registering. Hope all goes well x