mad panic help pleaseeee xx
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mad panic help pleaseeee xx

so just had ofsted inspector call me to tell me what she will what to see at my registration on Monday

she spoke lots about eyfs and policies and 2 year progress check then said I will need to explain about British values prevent duty HELP I have no idea and have never even heard of these before?! I have just been reading up and printing 2 lots of guidance on them and im going to write about 'my responsibilities'

any help greatly welcomed!

lastly any particular first aid kits we need and must we have fire blankets or is fire extinguisher enough? I am seriously worrying she will fail me after I feel ive prepared so much to have this sprung on me that I no nothing about

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Try not to panic! Sounds like you have it under control, printing off guidance. Browse the forum if you need more specific info. Fire blanket is specifically mentioned in EYFS 2014 so Inspector may expect to see one, but it can be on your need-to-buy list. Look for a 'Childcare First Aid kit'. I just googled it and came up with loads of links. You could order online now and print order for Inspector to see.
    Last edited by sing-low; 10-11-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Prevent and British Values can just be a paragraph in your safeguarding policy- what it is, what you do and how you you'd report a concern.

First aid kit- see your first aid training for any guidance on content, there is no Dept of Ed contents requirement.

Fire blanket- this has been discussed to the moon and back (search old threads), if you want to have one I doubt any one will criticise you on it. Fire Service can advise you on what is best for your situation/home. I'll say no more to avoid the old discussion!

I have never heard of any one failing pre-reg, they are there to get you registered, they can offer advise, you can ask questions, it is not a test.

Good luck!

4. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Try not to panic! Sounds like you have it under control, printing off guidance. Browse the forum if you need more specific info. Fire blanket is specifically mentioned in EYFS 2014 so Inspector may expect to see one, but it can be on your need-to-buy list. Look for a 'Childcare First Aid kit'. I just googled it and came up with loads of links. You could order online now and print order for Inspector to see.
    There is no specific requirement to have a Fire Blanket it is down to individual Risk Assessment. The Fire Brigades usual advise is to get the children out and not fight the fire. I had my last inspection in Sept this year and I have on the basis of the FB advise removed mine and the inspector didn't comment or even ask about the lack of one. I have never had an extinguisher.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet again inconsistencies! I had my pre reg fri and she said make sure you have a fire blanket. I then showed her I had when I took her in the kitchen.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our local fire service offer a fire check where they also fitted a new smoke alarm - - they came the day after I phoned them - they left me with a fire check certificate. You may have time to do this? The fireman told me that he would expect me to get out and they don't like people using fire blankets really as they don't use them properly and he wouldn't want me to be faffing around with a fire blanket when I had children to look after.
    As I wasn't sure what to do - I logged that I had watched a fire blanket training video on it's safe use - which I did - I found a few on the Internet produced by fire services. When the inspector discussed this at the registration visit I decided to explain that I had a fire blanket but I would not be using it as the advice was to get out...especially if there are children in the house!
    She was fine with this.

9. Likes Maza, rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Jessymax, there's a wonderful lady on here (Sarah707) who often publishes a Newsletter so that we can all keep up to date.

I'm sure she wouldn't mind you having a link to it, if it helps. (Hope that's OK Sarah - I just think your newsletter is brilliant!)

Newsletters - Independent Childminders

Have a look through it for November and maybe October - especially the bit on the Common Inspection Framework. (New Ofsted Inspection guidelines introduced very recently.) Sarah's Newsletter should help you answer lots of the areas that your inspector mentioned. Remember though that this is your "registration" visit - not a full blown inspection so although it will be helpful for you to know what documents you will need for reference, you don't need to actually KNOW them yet.

You can buy hard copies of the following EYFS documents from PACEY:

Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (**this is supposed to be getting revised soon - 2014 is the current version)
    Development Matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) (**as above)
    A Know How Guide - The EYFS progress check at age two
    Early Years Outcomes - September 2013 (this is a summary of Development Matters done for the outcomes only - Ofsted refer to this when they're inspecting us. I find that this document is a "nice to have' as a hard copy in addition to Development Matters for reference)

***Another document that I find really useful for reference is: "What to expect, when?" It is written for parents to have a copy of, but I find that it puts Development Matters into plain English. Bear in mind, we are inspected on "Early Years Outcomes"/"Development Matters". I've just noticed that the whole suite of the documents that I've mentioned is in the link below, so go here first***

Full Resource Pack: Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage EYFS 2014

EYFS Statutory Framework

I hope that being aware of these (and where to find them) will help you. Save them to your Desktop if you are able to and then maybe show the Inspector on the day??

Good luck and enjoy

LK
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 10-11-2015 at 07:14 PM.

11. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for putting all that together Lollipopkid!!

I am very happy to have the information I write shared - it's so important everyone has the information they need

13. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

that's amazing and so helpful thankyou xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Yet again inconsistencies! I had my pre reg fri and she said make sure you have a fire blanket. I then showed her I had when I took her in the kitchen.
    That is extremely worrying...the inconsistent advice we get depending on what we read....thank you for pointing this out.

Fire blankets are clearly stated in EYFS p27 (3.55) as a MUST have....how an inspector not pick this up is mind boggling.

As we are in charge of our settings and their safety I would say we must decide as, ultimately, its down to us.

One of the pre registration requirements is that we understand the EYFS and get appropriate training to prepare us for pre registration visits!
    Last edited by Simona; 12-11-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    That is extremely worrying...the inconsistent advice we get depending on what we read....thank you for pointing this out.

Fire blankets are clearly stated in EYFS p27 (3.55) as a MUST have....how an inspector not pick this up is mind boggling.

As we are in charge of our settings and their safety I would say we must decide as, ultimately, its down to us.

One of the pre registration requirements is that we understand the EYFS and get appropriate training to prepare us for pre registration visits!
    I quite agree about the differing advice.....I think the fire service should be talking to the Dfe about the safety around childminders using the blankets they insist we have!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Every fire officer who has ever visited me to do a safety check has always said not to use use fire blanket to put fire out. And to make getting out of the house the priority.

They are very hard to use correctly. At my last visit I was told I wouldn't need one as have aga and no naked flame in the house. The officer said a fire blanket could be used as part of 'stop drop and roll' and that was the only use, but even then, 'stop drop and roll' was quicker without anything.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I quite agree about the differing advice.....I think the fire service should be talking to the Dfe about the safety around childminders using the blankets they insist we have!
    Sorry I am slightly confused if you mean the DfE is giving the confusing advice on how/which fire blankets to use or the fire officers?
    Just me misreading your comment.

Unless things have changes fire blankets are to be used only when we feel the fire can be contained quickly in a kitchen...say a pan with frying oil going up on fire...not any other fire where we get out immediately.....has this changed?

I have a fire blanket in the kitchen and it is positioned exactly where the fire officer said it must be.
    I also remember attending a fire awareness training by the local Fire Brigade and made to practice using a fire blanket.

if there is conflicting advice than any updated guidance should be reflected in the EYFS when it is finally reviewed.

hopefully someone will get it clarified.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

This is the statement from EYFS and it is NOT a must to have a Fire Blanket at all.

3.55.Providers must take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of children, staff and
    others on the premises in the case of fire or any other emergency, and must have
    an emergency evacuation procedure. Providers must have appropriate fire
    detection and control equipment (for example, fire alarms, smoke detectors, fire
    blankets and/or fire extinguishers) which is in working order. Fire exits must be
    clearly identifiable, and fire doors must be free of obstruction and easily opened
    from the inside.

You will see Fire Blanket comes under eg along with other suggestions of what could be used. It in fact says we must have the 'appropriate Fire detection and control equipment'.

So we carry out a Risk Assessment of our particular setting and maybe have a home check by the Fire Brigade and then decide what we need for our setting.

From you reckoning if we must have a Fire Blanket the we all must also have Fire Alarms , extinguishers and we should label our Fire Exits and have crash bars on all of them so they are easily opened. That is not what is intended.

I myself have a Steam Detector in my Kitchen in addition to the 3 smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detector all hard wired that is my choice.

I have RA following a visit from the Fire Brigade and decided that there is no point in having a Fire Blanket because I would not use it. My priory is to get the children and myself out of the house, not to start fighting a fire with equipment that I haven't been trained to use for many years, at least I have been trained though the majority of cm haven't and that is concerning because Fire Blankets and Extinguishers are not easy to use without potentially harming yourself.

The inspector in Sept did not ask about FB and it is fairly clear there is not one up in my kitchen.

20. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Simona Guest

I have contacted my local Fire Station to get advice and clarification.

if any cm is confused or not sure what to do maybe they could do the same...then email DfE with suggestions on how to reword EYFS regarding use of fire blankets a etc etc.

Sorry Flora Dora...I am confused about your statement so could not clarify.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see that EYFS needs rewording. It is clear it is up to each individual to do what they think necessary and appropriate for their setting. It can't really be clearer than that can it?

I think it is good practice for any home to have a Fire Check.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I don't see that EYFS needs rewording. It is clear it is up to each individual to do what they think necessary and appropriate for their setting. It can't really be clearer than that can it? I think it is good practice for any home to have a Fire Check.

I totally agree. it's saying we need some form of fire control and it's for us to risk assess what that is and make that choice. So long as we are confident we can (a) do our best for the children incase of any fire and (b) explain our decision to OFSTED when we are inspected that's fine. Other people (LAs, representatives from the fire brigade, inspectors at pre reg etc) may pass comment and advise us but so long as we are confident we have the correct measure in place and that it holds up to what's in eyfs that's fine.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I don't see that EYFS needs rewording. It is clear it is up to each individual to do what they think necessary and appropriate for their setting. It can't really be clearer than that can it?

I think it is good practice for any home to have a Fire Check.
    Thank you very much for your reply RS.
    in addition to contacting my Fire Station I also contacted the DfE ....the EYFS dept itself...I am happy with the reply I received and how I would decide on this issue.

Thank you for your time.