Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    parent/future CM
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Becoming a childminder..

Hi there,

My name is Katherine and I am 26, I have two children of 5 and 7
    I have always worked and enjoy working! I work currently in my children's school as an MSA. In the last year I have had to leave two main jobs (always had the MSA job) as my childcare has seized, and my family where unable to help for long Again as of sunday just gone I have been left with only my MSA job again, as I had to leave my main job because..

1. My family could no longer help me with childcare around those hours, which I can't help and rightly so as they work also.
    2. I have regularly rang the local childminders and care providers, and they are all full or do not pick up from my children's school. The lack of before and after school care at our school is SHOCKING that the PTA are at wits end trying to convince the local authorities, that parents who work are desperate in our school network for care based around our school.

I really enjoy my MSA job and even though its different to childminding I love children and enjoy supporting them which has made me feel I would really love to be a childminder, where I can help other parents with care in the area, but also, as I have struggled over the last year to find childcare and relied on family, I think it would really benefit me that I can work and look after my children also to other parents I can help who are desperately struggling to get into work etc.

I just wondered, please if anyone could tell me where to start? I have been on the PACEY website, but I am unsure first what the first step would be

Many thanks!

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The first step to becoming a childminder is to contact your LA and find out about training courses.

You will find more information here - https://www.gov.uk/register-childmin...vider/overview.

You are in the right place for advice and support !

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there

I definately think Pacey is the best place to start. You have to do a level 3 in home based childcare course anyway and their online course is brilliant. Great assessors who support all the way through. It took me 5 months to complete but I wouldn't say I'm very fast and I certainly didn't do it everyday but you can do it at your own pace.

OMG and get the health declaration by your doctor done like now because it takes forever and you might need a loan to pay for it!!

Sorry to sound thick but what is MSA? Sorry I'm new to all this!

Good luck, let me know how you get on xx

Non childminder member
    parent/future CM
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for the replies!

I am booked onto a briefing session next week with the local authority! Really excited but nervous but this is something I realllllly want to do! I shall update you after that, other than that I have just been browsing for ideas, resources etc! Also an MSA is a midday supervisory assistant at the school.. although last few days I have been a cover TA as well haha!!

Thanks for replies again,
    Shall update how I get on

Katie xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have finally sent off my online application - started it in June! I would advise applying for your DBS asap as this has really held me up. Mine was completed in a couple of months but my husbands has just been done today and was sent at the beginning of August so has taken a while. Your certificate numbers are needed on your ofsted application before you can send it off so it's very frustrating that you can't go any further! Hope this helps x