Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Starting up

Registered Childminder since
    Pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting up

I'm currently about to go on maternity leave from my current job, I do not wish to go back as I hope to be a cm.
    Can I start the process while on leave? Or shall I wait till after my leave and do it while back at work?
    I'm currently working in a nursery 40 hours a week. I have my safeguarding and first aid along with a DBS.
    I just need to do my qualification and get my partners DBS.

Post Thanks / Like

My advice would be to contact your local authority first some ask you to do a pre reg briefing session first.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

you may need a new dbs depending if you are on the update system , an Introduction to childminding LA course , a health declaration. It makes perfect sense to make a start on the process whilst youre still on maternity leave x

Post Thanks / Like

I really would start the application now. I'm currently a family support worker so have my DBS but still needed to apply for a new one. I have mine back but am still waiting on my husbands which means I can't send off the application to ofsted yet. I also need to undertake Introduction to Childminding course, and have done paediatric first aid. You need to put the dates you've undertaken these courses before you can submit the application so I would start the process now if you can.

Pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies, I'm going to start my little courses and things that I can get done and dusted before baby is here and we move into our new place. Then I can start looking at doing the pre reg course and sending the application off x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kayhelen12 View Post
    Thank you ladies, I'm going to start my little courses and things that I can get done and dusted before baby is here and we move into our new place. Then I can start looking at doing the pre reg course and sending the application off x
    Good idea it seems such a long process (well for me anyway! ) so if you can make a start then go for it. I was waiting 4 months for dbs, submitted application to ofsted in July and still waiting on social services checks. From me enquiring to my LA to now has been 12 months x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely get going now, it also spreads the cost! I spent from April to September getting registered, doing courses and setting the house up (I also worked full time in a nursery like you so was lucky enough to have first aid, safeguarding and knowledge of EYFS etc) but could manage the costs when they were spread out a bit.

Good luck.
    x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kayhelen12 View Post
    Don't forget to apply for the CMs Start Up Grant....it is still available.
    Your LA should signpost you to where you can apply for it.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Default teacher wanting to be CM

Hi everyone. I have been a primary school teacher for last 12 years and recently, I have had enough! Teaching is all I have ever wanted to do since I was a child so it hurts that I think I don't want to do it anymore. I won't bore you with the stressses but an increased workload, paperwork, targets, targets and more targets along with ticking every box in everything you do has made me fall out of love with the job.

That said, I love working with children and know that I am good at it. Been thinking that becoming a child minder may be an option to explore. Don't know how to go about it or even if the hubby would want our home taken over but been thinking I could use our back living room and have a possible extension to allow for more space. I am well experienced in ages 3-11 and have my own two children (8yrs & 4 yrs).
    Can anybody offer me any advice on where to start? Thanks in advance xx

10. Likes CLou82 liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RachelP View Post
    Hi everyone. I have been a primary school teacher for last 12 years and recently, I have had enough! Teaching is all I have ever wanted to do since I was a child so it hurts that I think I don't want to do it anymore. I won't bore you with the stressses but an increased workload, paperwork, targets, targets and more targets along with ticking every box in everything you do has made me fall out of love with the job.

That said, I love working with children and know that I am good at it. Been thinking that becoming a child minder may be an option to explore. Don't know how to go about it or even if the hubby would want our home taken over but been thinking I could use our back living room and have a possible extension to allow for more space. I am well experienced in ages 3-11 and have my own two children (8yrs & 4 yrs).
    Some info here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...06-2014-a.html

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RachelP View Post

As a retired teacher I feel I should outline a few points: currently you have great job stability.....that will go....your income will not always be stable.
    I can honestly say that the workload per child is the same...you still need to plan and observe and assess and track....but for 3 children not probably 30.
    You will also need to do the role of HT in writing all policies, risk assessments, fire drills, SEF ( same as writing one for a school...difference in numbers doesn't make a difference here)... All the paperwork somebody does in school...you have to do ....a policy is a policy no matter how many children you care for 3-300!
    You probably currently have to ensure you are tracking your pupils half termly and taking part in pupil progress meetings With leadership team- you still need to do this, but it's usually with parents or an inspector.
    You currently have a good pension scheme...you will need to organise your own now.
    Your salary comes regularly at end of month via payroll.....you are payroll, you need to organise your NI and tax ....and negotiate/ chase payments.
    You currently have a caretaker/ cleaner/ secretary/ burser/ first aider./ cook/ dinner lady....you are all of these now.
    You currently can pop to the loo at break and lunch, have a coffee when you like.....try doing that when you are the only adult in the house with LO's that must always be in hearing/ sight.
    You currently have a lunchtime, no matter how brief, where you can snatch lunch and a natter...for 5 mins at least....no colleagues....no lunch time now..always with children.
    PPA........you can arrange for yourself to have PPA by not working every morning and afternoon ....but then you don't get paid for PPA.
    Resources......if you want a resource, no matter how small or large...you have to pay for it.....except for books that you can borrow from a library...if you think you have issues about lack of pritt sticks now...wait until you are paying £2 a shot and the LO's are turning it up too far/ squashing it / leaving caps off!
    Can't wait for the end of the day? Your day will more than likely end later.....6 o'clock being the average. If you intend to pay for an extension out of your profits you are going to need to take on a lot of before and after schools aswell as Early years.
    Can't wait for half term? Most CM's work school holidays.
    Want to go on that training course? ...of course you can go on any training you want...but you have to pay for it.
    Which brings me to pay......vastly, majorly no where near a teachers salary!!!!
    I only care for teachers children and I know I am lucky to have been able to organise it this way...so I now have all school holidays again.....but I earn no where near a teachers salary ....even with my pension!
    So....please don't think it will be an easier stress or work load than your current role ofsted still come knocking....and you have to front it all....not just them popping into an odd lesson.....if a parent complains...it won't just be managed internally....ofsted will investigate!
    Having said all this....I enjoy every minute of doing exactly what I want to do and playing with under5's for 10 hours a day ...going for walks, gardening.......but it is lonely if you are used to having colleagues to share thoughts, stresses, planning ideas, jokes, gossip !!!
    Think carefully, most teachers I know have taken this step whilst children are young to enable them to spend time with their family and still earn some money......and more often than not returned to their career when their children are a little older.
    It takes over your life and your DH and children are drawn into it.....I hate to be harsh but please don't think it is easier than working in a school.

13. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Simona Guest

Flora Dora has given a good wake up call and it is a hard choice but there are benefits too...being your own boss for a start

Hope you make the right choice RachelP
    I personally believe there are 'facts' and 'myths' when it comes to starting your own business and childminding in particular....pros or cons?...negative or positives?...you can decide.

You will be wearing many hats on one set of shoulders...no manager to answer to ...just yourself so you need to keep motivated and challenged...independent so you need to look for information all the time.

You will become a carer and educator...many cms do not like being called teachers but we are...in our own way without the pay that goes with it!
    you will be handling your own business and finances...best part of the job.

Please consider attending a 'business' training course alongside the preregistration course you need to do...both are available and you do not have to do your LA's prescribed ones....it is well worth the money.
    If you can consider looking at an accountant...there are 2 types...they know all about personal expenses and finances for the self employed and they will guide you in running your micro business

Make sure you register with Ofsted ...stay clear of any CM agency
    Ofsted regulate childcare...they do not regulate your personal life, I am sure you can strike the right balance between work and personal and not allow childminding to take over.
    Tribal and Prospects are inspectors outsourced by Ofsted and now trained by Ofsted...they pop up every 4 years or so.
    Nothing to be scared of...they are humans coming to observe your teaching and children's progress...learn to be confident and challenge them...you will know your children best.

Read all the 'relevant' guidance from DfE and Ofsted back to front.
    DfE is the legislator...they write the EYFS not Ofsted.
    Paperwork: if it is not in the EYFS it is not required...do not produce additional paperwork 'just in case' and do not do things 'for Ofsted'...you do them for the children and yourself.
    See if you can get a cm to support you during the application process...a mentor.

Advertising: you are the best advert with your children as you go out and about in the community or stand in schools playgrounds...parents watch and observe and talk !
    Parents: they do not employ you...you interview them and sell your services to them alongside terms and conditions
    Work in 'co-operation' with parents and get references from them...be careful of your relationship with parents...they are clients not friends.

Childcare is...and will be in very short supply in future...families come and go but make sure you tell them you like 'continuity'...ask them about future plans.
    You will be asked to be 'flexible'...up to a point yes...but be aware how far you are asked to stretch.
    Cost of childcare is high but parents get huge sums from the govt...so don't sell yourself short....charge the right fee.
    Try not to compete with others...just offer a very homely setting and not one that looks like a nursery.

Decide if you want to work 48 weeks or Term time only...consider starting 2/3 days then increase your days if you need to. iT is easier to increase your working days than decrease them.

Last but not least claim your grant for Business Start up from the DfE...it is not much ...£500 for cms or £1000 if you want to care for disabled children as well...but it will help.
    Childcare Business Grants Scheme - Home page

Good luck!

15. Likes FloraDora, CLou82, NicolaLovell liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi RachelP,

I taught for thirteen years and then became a childminder when I had my daughter. I have been doing it for nearly six years but I am about to go back into teaching later this month. Like you, I loved the actual teaching but felt that 'teaching' was such a small part of the job and I was so disheartened towards the end. I had always wanted to try childminding though and I am so glad I did. Yes, it is much harder than you would think. Your family do have to embrace it though but it doesn't have to take over your house all the time - at weekends you would never know that I was a childminder, unless you look in my cupboards lol, but I don't have anything permanent on show. I'm going back into teaching for a variety of reasons but I am keeping my registration open so that I can go back to it if I hate teaching.

Work out how much you need to earn. If the sums work, go for it. If it doesn't work out after a year or two, go back into teaching or try something new. Trying something new for a while might be just what you need to give you the confidence to break from teaching altogether and make you think about other things you could do.