Should I take the risk?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I take the risk?

Hi all long waffling post ahead feel free to stop here!

Basically I am waiting on a completion date for the house we are buying this should be in the next 3-4 weeks maximum. I have all my qualifications, sent both our DBS off they are both on stage 4 got lots of resources . Wrote my policies contracts, accident forms etc
    I am currently a deputy manager in a nursery and have a couple parents keen to start with me should I take the risk and apply and hope we have moved in and got all sorted before ousted ring for pre reg?
    Worst case if they ring and I'm not ready can I just say please can we delay a fortnight?

I do t want to lose the parents lined up and also stressing about handing my notice in

Also at pre reg do you need to have plug sockets, baby gates etc all set up?
    I have 3 references been emailed to me do you just attach these somehow during the application?

Sorry for rambling ALL advise muchly appreciated

Xx

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, Rospa do not recommend socket covers- Electricity - RoSPA
    Stair gates- you do not 'have to' have them at all, but you need to be able to explain your risk assessment to the inspector. If you plan to have gates then you can tell her that and expalin where.

Ofsted can delay pre-reg visit, I know someone who did due to building work at the house, it should not be a problem.- there is a limit but a few weeks should be OK.

Parents lining up- you have families waiting for you to be registered? That's great. Just be honest, they will have to wait! If they can't wait then you will find more families.

I believe you need your DBS number to be able to apply so you need to wait for that anyway (or have you got that?)

Good luck with the application! These things just run their course, not much point stressing as the process will be out of your hands. Good luck with the house move.

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Moggy.

Further information on the danger of those socket "safety" covers here: FatallyFlawed

You say, "I am waiting on a completion date for the house we are buying this should be in the next 3-4 weeks maximum." That's pretty much what we were told 3-4 months before completion, think on't.................

In terms of 'worst case', in response to your question, "Worst case if they ring and I'm not ready can I just say please can we delay a fortnight?" If you put a contract in place to provide childcare by a certain date, then fail to do so, you could be legally liable for the parents' costs to cover emergency childcare and/or their lost earnings. You'd be willfully signing those contracts without the required premises and reg certificate, so you could not claim 'lawful frustration' of the contrast by circumstances beyond your control: you'd have no defence. That's the worst case, and that's before you start accounting for the impact of starting out with a reputation for letting clients down.

I don't mean to be harsh or discouraging; I just think there's a danger of you getting in a mess if you get too far ahead of yourself. I genuinely hope everything comes through super-fast and everything goes well for your new venture.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not giving parents a date until I actually have one because obviously I have no idea when that will be.
    I think I'm going to start filling my application in today as I can't complete it without dbs number and am I right in saying you can save it and go back to it etc?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessymax View Post
    I'm not giving parents a date until I actually have one because obviously I have no idea when that will be.
    I think I'm going to start filling my application in today as I can't complete it without dbs number and am I right in saying you can save it and go back to it etc?
    Very sensible.

All you can do is keep the parents informed, but accept that without a contract they may change their plans between now and your registration. (Not that a contract ever stopped a parent changing their plans IME. ) Presumably they have an existing childcare arrangement with the nursery, so there's less danger than is usual of them just engaging another CM instead.

I don't know about the current application form: I'm guessing from what you say that it's now all online. I did a paper one, which was as much as us fossils could cope with. When I'm obliged to do something online I usually copy/paste into a Word document, so I can copy/paste it back later when (and I do mean "when", not "if") I've made a total snafu of things.

Are your employers aware of your intentions?

Have they supplied a reference for your Ofsted application?

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya

Employers no idea hence why so stressful. I have read I need 3 referees but do not have to be from current employer thank god!

I've seen a few people say you can fill out as much as you can but can't submit until have dbs number.

It's so stressful then there's the worry if I'll pass!

X

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about passing the reg process as you have the knowledge and experience from nursery work. Easy for me to say, I always worry about any sort of 'test' so I know how stressful it can feel. But I'm sure you'll do fine.

Tell me to go away if I'm prying, but I've assumed the families you have lined up are connected with/using your nursery. Is that correct?

You're definitely not doing anything wrong, but I can see how this will eventually look to nursery: leaving and taking their clients with you. I do think you need to be ready for potential repercussions. Before the funding system changed, we used to have several local nurseries who would always delay and object to any CM's application to join the list of funded providers. I say this to illustrate how existing childcare settings frequently resent any sort of local 'opposition' appearing on the scene. One reason I left my local CM group was that some of them were nasty and resentful that I took clients from "their territory".

Clearly, at least 2 (probably more) families are aware of your plans. Can you be sure that your employers won't find out through the grapevine before they hear it from you?

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessymax View Post
    I'm not giving parents a date until I actually have one because obviously I have no idea when that will be. I think I'm going to start filling my application in today as I can't complete it without dbs number and am I right in saying you can save it and go back to it etc?

My DBS took 5 months in Stage 4.

I personally think it's really hard for potential new childminders with 'real jobs' to begin childminding as it must be such a worry to know when to give notice for your current job.

Post Thanks / Like

Did your dbs get to stage 4 quickly? The first stages have completed in days is there any way to chase this up?

Does it make a difference if you've had one before?

A few parents know but I 110% trust them and have stressed to keep quiet we have been contacting through texts out of work. But yes I do worry someone will say something however I have no contract and no obligation to stay there until I retire! Lol

I am slightly worried about the 2,3,4 year old funding as that is something I have no knowledge of as haven't needed to until now? Can anyone spare the time to give me a quick bit of info?

Thanks xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Best to ask your local authority about the funding. There are small but significant differences in how each LA goes about it.