Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about pre-registration visit

Hi
    I am trying to get prepared for my pre-registration visit. I haven't got a date yet but I have applied to ofsted, paid the fee etc and do not want to leave everything until the last minute.
    I know that I need to have good knowledge of the EYFS and my house needs to be safe for children.
    Do I need to have all of my policies and risk assessments written up before my pre-reg? Also, do I need a fire blanket and travel first aid kit beforehand (I've got a normal first aid kit) I've read somewhere that I'll need to have my contracts available for the inspector to see. Do I need this before registration or can I do this after? (was planning on using Paceys ones but do not want to order until I've passed registration.
    Any ideas or information anyone has for me on being prepared for the visit will be greatfully received

2. Likes Sammy Jo T liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you've asked these questions as I'm in the same boat myself at the moment and I'm wondering about the same things!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpatters View Post
    Hi
    I am trying to get prepared for my pre-registration visit. I haven't got a date yet but I have applied to ofsted, paid the fee etc and do not want to leave everything until the last minute.
    I know that I need to have good knowledge of the EYFS and my house needs to be safe for children.
    Do I need to have all of my policies and risk assessments written up before my pre-reg? Also, do I need a fire blanket and travel first aid kit beforehand (I've got a normal first aid kit) I've read somewhere that I'll need to have my contracts available for the inspector to see. Do I need this before registration or can I do this after? (was planning on using Paceys ones but do not want to order until I've passed registration.
    Any ideas or information anyone has for me on being prepared for the visit will be greatfully received
    Inspector for Pre-Reg is concentrating on Safeguarding knowledge (signs of abuse, what to do if suspect abuse, what to do if you are accused etc), EYFS knowledge (areas of learning) and then checking your setting is safe.

Contracts are not important at all for pre-reg and even for a full inspection I have not heard of them being asked for, and are confidential financial details so not for sharing with Ofsted anyway really.

Risk assessments- do not have to be written at all, but unless you have an amazing memory it helps to note RAs for each room, garden, outings, car use, road safety etc.

Fire blankets have been discussed here recently, not a clear 'requirement' but I think it makes life easier to just have one on the wall so no one can argue (but be aware your priority is to get children out and not to fight fire).

First aid kits- it is not unheard of for an inspector to as to see one, but rare and again it is not a priority at pre-reg. No harm having them ready if you can.

Policies- not a priority at pre-reg and again- see EYFS/Childcare Reg as most are not needed in writing at all. But if you have got them ready it helps avoid any questions about having them! Ofsted not interested in any other than the most important- safeguarding, and any that cover EYFS or Childcare Reg requirements. Go through both and highlight every single thing with is a 'must' or 'required' or 'needed' etc to check you have it all covered.

Pacey- yes, just say you will join after registration and that you are using their paperwork.

5. Likes Sammy Jo T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpatters View Post
    Hi I am trying to get prepared for my pre-registration visit. I haven't got a date yet but I have applied to ofsted, paid the fee etc and do not want to leave everything until the last minute. I know that I need to have good knowledge of the EYFS and my house needs to be safe for children. Do I need to have all of my policies and risk assessments written up before my pre-reg? Also, do I need a fire blanket and travel first aid kit beforehand (I've got a normal first aid kit) I've read somewhere that I'll need to have my contracts available for the inspector to see. Do I need this before registration or can I do this after? (was planning on using Paceys ones but do not want to order until I've passed registration. Any ideas or information anyone has for me on being prepared for the visit will be greatfully received
    Have you got a date for your pre reg yet lPatters? :-)

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi- No not yet. I contacted ofsted last week for an update who said they are still waiting for social services checks to come back from my local council. They said they were going to chase them up. How are you getting on?

Post Thanks / Like

I had my visit just before christmas and I had my folders with risk assessments and policies etc on the table ready to show. Lady from ofsted said at the end that it was helpful and made the process much faster, as everytime she asked me about something I could just flick through to the relevant policy etc and show her what I had written. Most of them you have to write anyway as part of the course so it was just a case of printing it all out. I also printed out the sef from ofsted and a parents questionnaire I found and stuck that in to show and for one of the questions we did talk about them. My contracts were in there too but she didn't look at them.
    I had my first aid kit etc ready but she didn't look at them either.
    Hope that helps.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Different Inspectors will look for different things, even at pre-reg. When she (or he) phones to arrange a visit, it's worth asking them what they want to see when they come. Helpful for you and makes a good first impression!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been told by ofsted that my details have been passed to a company called Prospect who carry out the pre reg visits. Anyone else been told this? I was given the telephone number and inspection number but when I called they seemed confused as to why I was calling?

I'm eager to get it over and done with. How long after completing everything with ofsted did you get your meeting?

Post Thanks / Like

Prospects did mine too. The inspector just calls you up before they come - I was told to just wait (wasn't given a number to call) so guess they aren't used to people calling them! It didn't take very long for them to get in touch and it's the person that is actually coming out arranging a time to visit and explaining what you need. From my inspection I would say they basically have a list of questions that they have to go through - which is pretty much the same as the ones on the preparing for your visit questionnaire just in a different order.

Post Thanks / Like

It's booked for Thursday - eekkk

It has taken so long to get this far I must nail this

Dec 15
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know im replying to an older post but the info is really handy!

I'm just about to have my pre registration visit and think I've got everything sorted. The one thing that has occurred to me is about driving licences - if you have points for speeding does this affect anything?

Thanks for any info.