Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What is cypop5?

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is cypop5?

I did all my council required courses yonks ago but keep seeing this mentioned on here? x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The pre-reg course was sometimes known as CYPOP5 in some areas.

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Did you not attend a Council briefing session before going on the Council training? CYPOP5 is the starting point of the Childminder training.
    At my Council breifing session we were told that we must complete CYPOP5 prior to going on the Council training (although they did make an exception for one lady I know who was doing CYPOP5 during her Council training).
    When I had completed my CYPOP5 training (£189 online course booked through PACEY if I remember rightly), I contacted my local Council and then booked onto their training.
    At my very recent pre-reg inspection the Inspector examined my CYPOP5 certificate very closely! It is my understanding that you cannot register as a Childminder nowadays without doing CYPOP5 (you didn't used to have to do it in the past as there was more Council training then!!).
    So, in summary, I guess what I'm saying is that you need to do CYPOP5 if you want to be a Childminder (in England that is - not sure about elsewhere).
    You can find out all about it on PACEY's website.
    Good luck

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CSR2014 View Post
    Hi,
    Did you not attend a Council briefing session before going on the Council training? CYPOP5 is the starting point of the Childminder training.
    At my Council breifing session we were told that we must complete CYPOP5 prior to going on the Council training (although they did make an exception for one lady I know who was doing CYPOP5 during her Council training).
    When I had completed my CYPOP5 training (£189 online course booked through PACEY if I remember rightly), I contacted my local Council and then booked onto their training.
    At my very recent pre-reg inspection the Inspector examined my CYPOP5 certificate very closely! It is my understanding that you cannot register as a Childminder nowadays without doing CYPOP5 (you didn't used to have to do it in the past as there was more Council training then!!).
    So, in summary, I guess what I'm saying is that you need to do CYPOP5 if you want to be a Childminder (in England that is - not sure about elsewhere).
    You can find out all about it on PACEY's website.
    Good luck
    Not all areas call the pre-registration course CYPOP5. Some LAs had another name.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Not all areas call the pre-registration course CYPOP5. Some LAs had another name.
    And CYPOP5 is no more, I believe, there is now: L3 Award Preparing to Work in Home-Based Childcare
    But it is all up the local authority. No one here can rightly say you need 'xyz' qualification as it is different depending on where you live.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the CYPOP 5 in the last few weeks so I believe it does still exist. I did mine online, cost £115...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I meant to add that Like moggy said I think each area is different depending on where you live.

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    As always there are variations in different regions/different LA's etc. I think you will know if you've done something similar to CYPOP5 if you completed something online involving lots of assignments and activities (and it put a big hole in your bank balance - £189 in mine!!). If you haven't done something like this but you have done something indepth with your LA then I would contact Ofsed and tell them what training you've done and check whether this is acceptable. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have just had my pre-reg inspection and the Inspector looked at my CYPOP5 certificate with great interest!!
    I believe my LA used to run more training but CYPOP5 superceded this and the training via my LA is now very basis indeed.
    To put your mind at rest, why not contact Ofsted asap and check because it would be terrible to be sat in your pre-reg and have the Inspector not recommend you because you haven't got CYPOP5 (or whatever it's equivalent is in your area!!).
    Good luck and let us know how you get on!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, as far as I was aware down here it was a blanket council fee of £100 which gave you access to all the EYFS courses run by local council, I was given a list of five courses I needed to do by my LA: A first aid, food/hygiene, safeguarding and two childminder courses, the latter two were actually given by the EYFs team on local council. I have since sat a higher level safeguarding, along with courses to do with phonics, SEN, forest school, Sensory, I've even done courses with Alice Sharp (Although I couldn't attend the early Year conference she ran a few weeks ago) it is then £35 every subsequent year entitling me to as many courses as I wish, and my council do a lot of Early Year courses... Except for CYPOP5 which I have only ever seen talked about on here. I shall endeavour to pin down my LA, problem being the council keeps changing offices every month so no set phoneline..

Non childminder member
    studying course
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CYPOP 5

Hi . I have just registered on here. I am almost at the end of my level 3 in CYPW. (1 month left) i have taken on the optional unit of CYPOP 5. just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for help with some of the tasks within this unit. many thanks kellie

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Sounds like you've done lots of training already!! If I were you (which of course I'm not so totally ignore me if you wish!!) I would check with Ofsted because it seems strange that you haven't done CYPOP5 (or whatever it's now called). I notice your location is the Isle of Wight so is that exempt? Personally I wouldn't want to go into my pre-reg without hearing directly from Ofsted to confirm whether or not CYPOP5 is needed in your area. You could try using the email contact form if you want to contact Ofsted with your query. I used the query form a couple of times and they responded within a couple of days!! Let us know how you get on please - very intrigued to hear the outcome of this one!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I contacted my LA and she reassures me that I do not need a CYPOP5 - Phew! I think it is a case of councils needing to provide adequate training not a particular course, and my council prefers to run different courses than just point people towards the CYPOP5. I am very lucky by the amount of training provided by the LA. Two of the girls on my training have already become registered without doing CYPOP5 so it is all good :-) If Ofsted do have any queries I shall point them towards my LA!

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Well sounds like you got a bargain! It cost me £189 for CYPOP5 and £50 for first aid and a couple of very brief council courses!!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky too my LA pay a lot towards courses and I do not have the CYPOP5 either just the LA one that I am doing now £50. It is the last course they are running apparently as it will be outsourced from 2015.

15. Likes TabbyTuTu liked this post