Best table to use
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best table to use

Hi guys, I might just be fussy but I've been searching and searching for a table which I like and is suitable for all ages. Can anyone point me in the direction or show me what you have done?? I've found one but I don't really like it
    Thanks
    Last edited by Rick; 24-07-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean a dining room table for meals or a table for arts and craft? I only have little ones so once they are out of high chairs they sit at a Little Tykes plastic picnic table/bench for meals. My DD, nearly 6, sits there too but during family meals will sit at the big dining room table with us. We do arts and craft at a little plastic table too. Wooden ones are prettier though.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have several tables: big dining room one covered in a plastic tablecloth for breakfast and lunch, LO's sit at it in high chairs with tray removed - we have bfast and lunch as a'family'.
    Same table with a change of cloth used sometimes for craft/ playdoh too.
    Small occasional table in dining room every day for one /two person use with a craft set up.
    Drop leaf coffee sized table that DH made in living room, in area I call mark making next to bookcase with pencils, crayons etc - can be folded away when not chminding - but we use as an occasional table more often than not.
    My usual side table that DH made is used with a mat on top for snack time and always has a jigsaw on it at other times.

My favourite table is an adjustable height camping one that is stored out of the way in utility but Is in constant use in kitchen at childs height for painting, cooking and winter messy play. I have had it outside in this nice weather for art, planting and outdoor lunch( with various cloths) . This is the one I would recommend - lots of uses both for minding and home life- we had it out for drinks in the garden at the weekend at grown up height.
    Its similar to this:Milestone Camping Aluminium Folding Table - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
    But I got it in the sale in a local camping shop.
    Last edited by FloraDora; 24-07-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the lack tables from ikea , only cost about £5 and they can be arranged to suit how many children I have and moved about for different activities during the day . We have 4 in total and at meal times put together it fits 8 around it , easily replaced too as they are so cheap.
    Home bargains have sturdy chairs for about £6 that fit perfectly with them if you are lucky enough to have a home bargains near you ;-)

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the lack tables from ikea too!

I bought some little wooden chairs from ikea about 11 years ago when i started minding and they are still going strong if looking a bit battered!

I have a wooden kitchen table that we use in the kitchen for eating craft etc but mainly for the older children.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is making me chuckle - childminders have soooo many tables! I put one of my plastic ones in the shed as we were doing more outdoor play stuff with the nice weather, but I really miss it and need it back! I already have two little ones in the garden and I am sure I could find a use for a third, or fourth...

7. Likes Mouse, FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am currently closed for summer break but when I read this thread and listed my tables I remembered that I wanted one for my role play area as I move one from downstairs when they need it ( my role play area is on the landing) - so I have popped out this morning and picked one up from an antique / second hand complex near us....just needs a bit of renovation from DH and it will be perfect....but now I think I need a permanent garden one for children....we are trying to design one out of current collection of logs and planks..... It has become a major priority now I have thought about it....But really we need to pick the raspberries and make jam!!!

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    This thread is making me chuckle - childminders have soooo many tables! I put one of my plastic ones in the shed as we were doing more outdoor play stuff with the nice weather, but I really miss it and need it back! I already have two little ones in the garden and I am sure I could find a use for a third, or fourth...
    I think I've probably got as many tables as I have pushchairs!!

The most used at the moment are the two rectangular Ikea Mammut tables. I can fit 4 preschoolers (the most I ever have) round one for meals, though for craft and activities I tend to put two tables together so they have more space. With the tables being plastic I can use them outside as well.

I also have 2 of the Ikea lack tables that again I can use separately or pushed together. The advantage with both sorts of table is that I can take the legs off to make them easier to store.

Because I only have preschoolers, I only have small tables for them. We do have have our family dining table, but the mindees don't use that. I don't sit at the table with them to eat, but the Mammut chairs do hold my weight when I sit with them for activities etc.

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I shall have a look in ikea an see what I can find